Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 05:45 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,110,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
100% of Americans benefit. Half of us pay for them.
And most of us thank God that we have the ability to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 05:48 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,021,268 times
Quote:
The whole notion that half of Americans pay tax is bunk. Everyone pays sales tax, in most states there is property tax on cars, federal gasoline taxes, renters pay real estate taxes indirectly through higher rents, etc.

Plus, of the 50% who do pay federal income tax, their likely burden is quite low.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:56 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,393,099 times
Quote:
You do realize that half consists almost exclusively of the elderly, part time workers, families of 4 making under $26,400 and single parents, all of whom pay a variety of other federal taxes on things like gasoline, airline tickets, cell phone bills, etc?

Old 03-26-2012, 06:03 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Liberals work for a living, but feel that those who truly need help shouldn't be thrown out on the streets.

Right wingers live off of those social programs for a living, while whining and complaining non stop about the lazy bums whom are also living off the exact same programs they are

Oh if the world were as simple as that!

There are at least two type of government programs.

One type we are all enrolled in involuntarily by a government which helps itself to our earnings, like it or not.

The other type requires no contribution and no effort. Participation is strictly voluntary and those who receive these benefits receive them as a consequence of others being taxed.

Not everyone who ends up on a the second type is a freeloader, but they do exist and expanding these programs only encourages their abuse.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:24 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,515 times
I'll go off of the reservation here and provide more than just social programs...
Medicare, indirectly. Without this program I and my brother would have to support my father's medical issues on our own.
Social Security, again indirectly. My father's pension is not enough for him to live on without the supplemental income from this program.
Farm subsidies provide cheaper food and milk.
The FDA. I've never gotten food poisoning or bad medicine.
The EPA. I drink clean water and breathe clean air even though I live in the middle of a city.
Oil subsidies keep me from paying European gas prices.
Energy and water subsidies provide for low utility bills. I wish they would do the same for those lousy phone bills.
There are many more that I can't think of, I'm sure.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:56 PM

1,457 posts, read 2,027,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Me. A commonplace accusation on here ist hat liberals are liberals because we are dependent on the government. Just wanted to see if it's true..

Are you a liberal or conservative? Do you directly benefit from any Federal Social programs?
If you think the only groups of citizens in this country are either liberal or conservative you have a very narrow mind, really narrow.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:10 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
If you think the only groups of citizens in this country are either liberal or conservative you have a very narrow mind, really narrow.
Asking someone if they are liberal or conservative does not mean there are no other options.

If you are neither, you are welcome to participate or not. Ahh.. Freedom.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:23 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
I was on unemployment 30 some years ago, in addition to my public school education and all the public benefits that we all enjoy on a daily basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
Other than public roads, public school for my children and a $500 Pell Grant, I've never utilized any type of social programs.
Public parks
Public transportation
Lower homeowners and auto insurance because of police protection
Lower homeowners insurance because of fire protection
Roads and sidewalks

Old 03-26-2012, 07:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
When our kids were ages 9 months and 4 years old, DH was laid off and collected UI for a few months.

He went to a private college; I went to one that got state money, but part of that time I was an out-of-state student. He worked for the University of Illinois for 10 years, part of that as a Teaching Assistant and part of it as a Research Assistant. Neither job paid squat. I was a public health nurse for several different health departments.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:54 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,515 times
Katiana reminded me of a couple of other things.
I went to a publicly funded university with a cheaper cost per credit hour than a private school that allowed me to develop the foundation to succeed in the profession that I am now in.
Going even further back, I was educated in the public school system. Again my parents could not afford private or religious school tuition.

I'd like to thank all who have supported my endeavors. Maybe I could have succeeded without the help of my fellow citizens, but it would have been infinitely more difficult. I am more than glad to return the favor to your children and grandchildren (parents and grandparents).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies