Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should able people who are able to work but refuse to receive any support from the government?
Yes 5 4.50%
No 100 90.09%
Undecided 6 5.41%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 07:37 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Not everyone is WILLING TO.
Not everyone is 20 years old with zero commitments.

Quote:
Pure ignorance, to believe that raising the minimum wage would improve the economy. The reality is that costs would just increase in proportion.
Patently false. An increase minimum wage has not yielded a likewise proportional increase in cost. Quoting a conservative think-tank, EmPI, "Within three months of a wage hike, Aaronson finds that a 10 percent increase in the minimum wage resulted in a 0.4–0.7 percent increase in restaurant prices. Much of the increase occurred within the first month of the wage hike."

That's four cents on the dollar. EmPI is against the minimum wage, and even they report such a miniscule increase in prices.

Quote:
Better to stop entitlements to illegals, no more "free" visits to the emergency room, and lower the payments to these freeloaders.
I wasn't aware illegal immigrants were getting "entitlements," or "payments." What would those be, oh great wise one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 03:15 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,626,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
One more time, and I will say it slowly. EASY is not the point. EASY is not referenced here. It is NOT easy.
I left and moved 5 states on exactly $50. in my 20's, so yes, it CAN be done. I did it!
Whoo frickin' hoo, a 20yr old did it, so everyone should be able to huh?!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Congratulations. Not everyone can. End of story.
Not everyone is WILLING TO.
No, not everyone CAN, there is a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Not everyone is 20 years old with zero commitments.
Exactly! I sure can't move my family ??? miles away on the CHANCE that we might be able to do better somewhere else, and that is onlt if everything at the new place would be similar to where we currently are.

That would mean new schools for ALL three of us (assuming we could find a place that offered our degree plans, and all credits transfered), plus a nice CHEAP neighbourhood, more driving to see the step daughter for weekends, etc...

It is NOT feasible to move for us.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:45 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atvwife View Post
The problem is most(not saying all) of them are way overpaid and do more sitting around and figuring out how to work as little as possible than actually working hard because they are protected by their unions.
How do you know this, exactly? Have you personally observed the crews in every city/county around the country?

I've been a public employee for over five years, and see little-to-nothing of this laziness people are always talking about. Being "union" doesn't mean all that much, and certainly doesn't cancel out our inherent work ethic... I don't go to work every morning thinking of ways to slack off, in fact I usually think of ways to get everything done as efficiently as possible. Not only because I have pride in my job, but (despite what some people think) I can always get fired for poor performance! Union workers can still be good, honest workers - and I'm getting sick of people like you saying otherwise.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:19 AM

208 posts, read 318,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
How do you know this, exactly? Have you personally observed the crews in every city/county around the country?

I've been a public employee for over five years, and see little-to-nothing of this laziness people are always talking about. Being "union" doesn't mean all that much, and certainly doesn't cancel out our inherent work ethic... I don't go to work every morning thinking of ways to slack off, in fact I usually think of ways to get everything done as efficiently as possible. Not only because I have pride in my job, but (despite what some people think) I can always get fired for poor performance! Union workers can still be good, honest workers - and I'm getting sick of people like you saying otherwise.
I can't speak for every town but most of our small towns here have the same problem as we do. Our road crew guys start work at 6:45 am. They sit around in the office for about an hour, then drive around town in town trucks on town gas for a little less than two hours. Then every single one of them can be found every morning from 9-9:30 at the local hangout for their "coffee break." Then they do go out a get a little work done, for about two hours or so, and often can be found doing private property tasks. When they do accomplish a task, it takes three of them to do simple things like trim branches along the side of the road. In the winter, when they are supposed to be plowing, on the clock, they often come up to the end of our road and nap for a couple of hours. These issues have been brought before our selectmen at town meetings and the community is flat out told that they can't get it changed because of the union. When I was on school committee, we had an elementary school with a library that couldn't be used because we didn't have a librarian. Parents offered to step up and volunteer to run it so the kids could use the resources, and we were told this could not be done because according to the union rules only a certified librarian(whatever the heck that was) could catalog books and therefore the library could not be used unless we hired one. When I suggested that the high school librarian getting paid $65K/yr be sent to the elementary school one day a week so that our kids could use the library(which keep in mind the schools are about a 1/4 mile apart) we were told this would also be against union rules. I also grew up outside of Philly, where unions LOVE to strike. I can't even count the number of times the teachers union went on strike when I was a kid, and they were some of the highest paid teachers in the country. Then, when I lived in FL, there was a teacher that basically sat around and told us he wasn't going to teach us, when parents and other teachers advocated to replace him, they were told he was tenured and because of the union they couldn't get rid of him without a huge cost. So, no, I can't speak for every single town and every signle worker, but having had personal experiences in 3 different states along with the many other stories nationally of nonsense like this, it's obviously not an isolated issue.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:38 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
The first thing that came to my mind was citizens with emotional or pyschological issues. I beleive those individuals should be given some time to deal with their issues before they return to work. I think that should come under the recommendation of a professional however, not the discretion of the individual.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:20 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,196,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
The first thing that came to my mind was citizens with emotional or pyschological issues. I beleive those individuals should be given some time to deal with their issues before they return to work. I think that should come under the recommendation of a professional however, not the discretion of the individual.
The overwhelming majority of people with emotional/psych issues can put in a good day's work for the community to help earn their bread. What are they going to be weeping while picking up trash or painting over graffiti? Plus this professional recommendation thing is somewhat scammy just doctor shop until you get the results you want, if you can't do that then hire an attorney who specializes in it and they'll direct you to the appropriate doc they've got a business relationship with.

I think only the first 30 days of unemployment should be completely open, after that should be a 20 hours/week community service to get that check. That still leaves time during the week to job hunt.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:15 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I think people have to get over the notion that working and doing something with yourself is harmful. Work is great therapy.

Why would someone prefer to sit around wallowing in pity? Staring at 4 walls doing nothing isn't going to cure what ails you.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:57 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
Absolutely not.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:03 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,951,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Should able-bodied, able-minded people who do not have any other obligations and nonetheless refuse to work be entitled to a minimal standard of living, by government support if necessary?

Not only no, but hell no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies