Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I saw the Hunger Games and I: (anonymous multiple choice poll)
Was disappointed to see brown skinned characters in the leading roles 4 6.56%
Was NOT disappointed to see brown skinned characters in the leading roles 26 42.62%
Did not like the casting choices when I saw brown skinned characters in leading roles 1 1.64%
Prefer to see the best actors in productions and do not care about the skin color/ethnicity of the actors. 41 67.21%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 11:13 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,433,497 times

Advertisements

JJG - well, I didn't mean exactly that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 11:14 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,445,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Great race baiting. congratulations. This is nothing new for book adaptions.

Seriously, delete your account and crawl back under the rock shared by many posters here of late.
Your ignorance is showing.

It's not a race baiting thread.

I asked questions related to the reaction of some people to the casting of characters in the film "The Hunger Games".

If you had read the article I posted then you could have answered the question I posed intelligently.

Instead you decided to take the flame-road.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:20 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,889,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
JJG - well, I didn't mean exactly that...
Doesn't matter.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:41 PM

It's all part of the bigger conversation that this country needs to have.

Anytime anybody posts on this subject and presents a different angle it's called "race baiting".
It's time to have the conversation, it's not going away any time soon.

The article I posted is being discussed on other forums and I presented a question regarding the casting of characters in the film to know if people have a problem relating to non-white characters because they cannot self identify and feel empathy toward a character who does not look like them and some people around here have a problem with that.

If it can't be discussed without people flaming me or calling it race baiting, don't pretend that I'm the one with the problem because I brought up the subject.

This topic is going viral on the web right now.

US Magazine - Hunger Games Cast Subjected to Racist Attacks in Shocking Tweets

Huffington Post - 'Hunger Games' Racist Tweets: Fans Upset Because Of Rue's Race

MSNBC - Some 'Hunger Games' fans upset that character of Rue is black

Old 03-27-2012, 12:18 AM
JJG

Yeah, this was EXACTLY what I was refering to earlier.

There are people who claimed to have read the books who are doing this the most. Which is pathetic seeing how the characters they're talking about are discribed as "dark skinned" IN THE BOOK.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:22 AM

1,569 posts, read 2,043,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
It's all part of the bigger conversation that this country needs to have.

Anytime anybody posts on this subject and presents a different angle it's called "race baiting".
It's time to have the conversation, it's not going away any time soon.

The article I posted is being discussed on other forums and I presented a question regarding the casting of characters in the film to know if people have a problem relating to non-white characters because they cannot self identify and feel empathy toward a character who does not look like them and some people around here have a problem with that.

If it can't be discussed without people flaming me or calling it race baiting, don't pretend that I'm the one with the problem because I brought up the subject.

This topic is going viral on the web right now.

US Magazine - Hunger Games Cast Subjected to Racist Attacks in Shocking Tweets

Huffington Post - 'Hunger Games' Racist Tweets: Fans Upset Because Of Rue's Race

MSNBC - Some 'Hunger Games' fans upset that character of Rue is black
What is this bigger conversation? I do not think anyone is denying there are racist people in this country.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Yeah, this was EXACTLY what I was refering to earlier.

There are people who claimed to have read the books who are doing this the most. Which is pathetic seeing how the characters they're talking about are discribed as "dark skinned" IN THE BOOK.
Exactly. If they were disappointed by the casting without having read the book it means that people making the comments are racists. Period.

Which leads to the next question.

Do you think that when people are disappointed by seeing characters who they cannot empathize with because of their perceived race/ethnicity, the viewer is uncomfortable because of the stereotypes that come from the ethnicity of the actor? And if this is a possibility, what can be done to improve the public image of people of color in order that the stereotypes can be eliminated? Should it begin with the entertainment community or news media?

Old 03-27-2012, 12:43 AM
JJG

Quote:
Exactly. If they were disappointed by the casting without having read the book it means that people making the comments are racists. Period.

Which leads to the next question.

Do you think that when people are disappointed by seeing characters who they cannot empathize with because of their perceived race/ethnicity, the viewer is uncomfortable because of the stereotypes that come from the ethnicity of the actor? And if this is a possibility, what can be done to improve the public image of people of color in order that the stereotypes can be eliminated? Should it begin with the entertainment community or news media?
No... these people said they read the book. They own the book. If anyone would know anything about these characters it would be them, yet they have a HUGE problem with it. Meaning that they either skimmed through the book or have horrible comprehension skills. Or maybe they read it, knew what it was discribing, but hoping for something different? Because it's one thing to have a slightly different picture of the cast members, but to be angry at the fact that they're black and to call them a "black b*tch" or a "gangster", or when they make little slave jokes and even say that they were less saddened by their character's deaths because they knew they were black speaks volumes to who they are.

I'm not talking about the people who DIDN'T read the books. I'm talking about the ones who did. These are the actual fans of the books, so they have no excuse to be ignorant of the casting choices in the movie. It should have been exactly what they read and pictured.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:20 AM

994 posts, read 724,676 times
Quote:
Why do you suppose there is less empathy for brown skinned people in our society? What is driving it? Is it the media at large (entertainment and news)? Is it time for a public relations makeover for brown skinned people in the United States?
It's not a big mystery. People identify with people who are like them. It's part of being human. You bond with people over shared characteristics. You relate best to people who are similar to you. This is going to extend to characters in a beloved book. Unless otherwise described, black people reading a book will picture the characters as black. Unless otherwise specified, white people reading a book will picture the characters as white. It's natural. And given any group of people you are going to find some who take things to the extremes, who will actually get angry if the characters aren't portrayed as they want them portrayed. This is going to be especially true given the huge audience this movie has. So I don't see anything unexpected or abnormal about this. The racist reactions in the article are unfortunate but expected.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:50 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,648,952 times
What was interesting about the books is that the author did take the time to physically describe most of the characters. Usually down the hair color and eyes. She never used any racial descriptors but, because of her descriptions, I formed mental images of the characters.

It was obvious, to me, that Rue and Thresh were either black or some other ethnicity with dark skin. I sometimes pictured Rue to resemble some Morroccan friends I have.

Anyway, the only casting that sort of "threw" me was Lenny Kravitz as Cinna. Based on the book's description, I pictured him as a white guy but in looking at the description, a bi-racial person (such as Kravitz) could fit the bill also.

Quote:
Most people who live in the Capitol follow very absurd fashion trends; however this is not the case for Cinna. This suggests that he may not have been born in the Capitol. He does not speak with a Capitol accent. The first time he appears in the book, he is described as wearing a simple black shirt with matching pants. His one strange fashion choice is gold eyeliner, which brings out the gold flecks in his green eyes. Katniss seems to find this tasteful. Other than that, Cinna looks very normal, with short brown hair, which Katniss assumes is not dyed, and green eyes. He also has 6 gold earrings in the film, 3 in each ear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies