Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2012, 09:27 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
He's not black american, he grew up totally different than what most of you complain about on here daily, that's not even a good reply. He's social circle was completely different plus him being lighter got him into other areas other poor darker blacks can't do.

Quote:
THe opportunity is there, most poor black Americans don't see, they still have that slave mentality but that's what they grew up on for generations....
Now that we have this established, we can think of some solutions. Now we need to find a solution to help people get rid of the slave mentality that some people have grown up with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 11:48 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
He's not black american, he grew up totally different than what most of you complain about on here daily, that's not even a good reply. He's social circle was completely different plus him being lighter got him into other areas other poor darker blacks can't do.

THe opportunity is there, most poor black Americans don't see, they still have that slave mentality but that's what they grew up on for generations....
He's black enough and American enough to get the same racial hate any other black would get if he were POTUS.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
He's black enough and American enough to get the same racial hate any other black would get if he were POTUS.
Yes he is. In America, there is the one drop rule. If you have even one drop of Sub-Saharan African ancestry, you are considered Black.

That being said, his Black father is from Kenya, and doesn't have the same narrative as African-Americans. Will President Obama catch the same crap that Blacks Americans descended from slaves get? Yes he will. If you are Black, in any way, you will catch crap.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
That is the point that many of us on this thread and in this forum have been trying to make here. Even though some black people still have issues, we have come a long way and are continuing to improve on a whole in this country. When are you going to stop complaining about the small subset of us who make poor decisions, why not focus on those that are making great decisions?
Alot has improved since the 1960s. It took alot of work for things to get better. My grandparents didn't even have as much as a middle school education. My father went to college and got two degrees(in the 1970s). I recently received my college degree as well. Things have gotten much better. However, there is still alot of work to be done. There is still a big fixation on race. Prejudice and discrimination have continued to occur.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
I think it has to do with Catholicism in Latinos it also can be attributed to the commonality of non-marriage during the majority of time that black people have been in this country. Singlehood and out of wedlock births have always been more common for black women. Unlike what you think as I remember the thread where you think us black women won't marry a man unless he is rich, there is not a simple answer for why some people do some things and others don't.
I mentioned some of this in another post, and you elaborated on it a bit more(about marriage and Catholicism). However, I would not necessarily agree about the part when Black women will only marry a man if he's rich. I've seen examples of the opposite.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:43 PM

220 posts, read 475,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh look how FAR "Black" people have come in 2012 including the POTUS. The glass ceiling is gone.

I wouldn't go that far.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:50 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, I am happy to see some changes are being made. Some of what you've said is part of what I've been trying to say. We have been constantly fixated on race. We buy into fearing each other and racial separation. I am hoping that some of what I've said might have helped to educate someone
Yeah we just can't seem to let go of race. I see it from both sides, white and minorities. Everything that happens is looked at through goggles of race and it taints everything that happens. A black man who supports Obama is told he does so because Obama's black and whites are constantly told that they oppose Obama/support Romney because of race.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Yeah we just can't seem to let go of race. I see it from both sides, white and minorities. Everything that happens is looked at through goggles of race and it taints everything that happens. A black man who supports Obama is told he does so because Obama's black and whites are constantly told that they oppose Obama/support Romney because of race.
I think a big part of it is due to history. Everything is seen through the goggles of race because of animosity on both sides. This is animosity, I may add, that has been around for so long, and yet many people try to pretend it doesn't exist. The anger and hostilities have been there.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:22 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:

You all but said that being "Black" ain't an excuse to fail in life. The difference is culture and you're right: "keepin' it real" IS the "plantation mentality".

Old 09-22-2012, 12:25 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Yes he is. In America, there is the one drop rule. If you have even one drop of Sub-Saharan African ancestry, you are considered Black.

That being said, his Black father is from Kenya, and doesn't have the same narrative as African-Americans. Will President Obama catch the same crap that Blacks Americans descended from slaves get? Yes he will. If you are Black, in any way, you will catch crap.
On drop rule can't be enforced; especially with many Hispanics who ARE part "Black" but will pass themselves off as "white". Word has it even the worst racist white people looked the other way of a person "looked white", especially if it was a good looking blue eyed blonde lady with pale skin and big boobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies