Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is a Better President?
Bill Clinton 141 87.58%
Barack Obama 20 12.42%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 06:54 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,207,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Obama.

Clinton is mostly myth.
While I agree that much of Clinton's supposed accomplishments were largely a myth because of the strong economy built on the tech boom of the late 90's. I don't feel that comparing Clinton to Obama is an even remotely fair contest.

If we at least look at Clinton in an unbiased light. We know that Clinton not only ran on a pledge to reform the Welfare system, that reform happened. Thus helping to break the dependency on the Welfare system.

If you look at Obama, he has done nothing but increase dependency on the Welfare system.

Clinton ran on balancing the budget, and did make attempts in that direction. Obama doesn't seem to care about the budget.

Quote:
Clinton had the Housing Market bubble and dot com stock bubble build on his watch and he did nothing significant to stop it...blew up under Bush....Obama is still cleaning up some of it.
The problem with this statement is that, I don't think Obama would have done anything about the Housing bubble had he been the president at the time. Take for instance the community reinvestment act, which required banks to basically lend to minorities and the poor, and is largely at fault for the housing bubble. Do you really think Obama would have done anything differently? In my opinion, things would have been worse under Obama than Clinton in regards to bubbles.

Quote:
Clinton let his presidency be marked by scandals that shutdown his government....Obama hasn't.
While Obama's government didn't get shut down, it certainly came close to it. The difference between then and now is not because Obama is a genius. But rather it was that neither the Republicans nor the Democrats wanted a shutdown, because of what happened during the Clinton presidency.

I don't believe that if Obama had been president in 1995, that we would have avoided a shutdown.

Quote:
Clinton didn't pursue Bin Laden aggressively, even though multiple attacks on US....Obama did pursue him.
Bin Laden might have died on Obama's watch, but I highly doubt Obama himself had anything to do with CIA policies that enabled them to find Bin Laden. The CIA had been gathering information for years under a directive that was the result of the Bush administration and people like Dick Cheney, whom the liberals despise. As well as information from terror suspects detained in Guantanamo bay and water-boarded.

So don't pretend for a minute that Obama would have done anything more than what Clinton did.

Quote:
Clinton gave China most favored nation status.
And Obama actually plans to change that? Not likely.

The reality is, when you compare Obama to Clinton, Obama just comes out the weaker link.

Clinton is simply more intelligent and more knowledgeable, he is a better communicator. He comes off more likeable and less elitist. Regardless of the squabbling between Republicans and Democrats, Clinton was much better at working across the isle than Obama. Clinton ran on a platform of shrinking welfare and the national debt. Neither really interest Obama.

Right now Clinton is out doing good works in his Clinton-global-initiative. What do you think Obama will be doing 10 years from now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 08:18 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,730,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Obama has a plan; we will find out when he is reelected.

his plan is to run up the deficit, and make a false economy while everybody is looking the other way..

i would have to vote for the heads up cliton

Old 04-01-2012, 10:09 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
I first thought Clinton but he did destroy manufacturing in this country with NAFTA and other free trade deals and put in place DADT

Old 05-31-2012, 02:56 PM

31,035 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Clinton. Wish he would run again and I'm NOT a Dem.
I'm with ^^^. Best run we have had in decades!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Clinton, the last President that I had any faith in.

If his teleprompter broke he could keep going.
If it wasn't for the teleprompter Obama would have never been elected.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:01 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,273,003 times
Having only one term, Obama just doesn't have the track record....yet.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:53 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
At least Clinton reached across the aisle and did welfare reform.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:54 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
While I agree that much of Clinton's supposed accomplishments were largely a myth because of the strong economy built on the tech boom of the late 90's. I don't feel that comparing Clinton to Obama is an even remotely fair contest.

If we at least look at Clinton in an unbiased light. We know that Clinton not only ran on a pledge to reform the Welfare system, that reform happened. Thus helping to break the dependency on the Welfare system.

If you look at Obama, he has done nothing but increase dependency on the Welfare system.

Clinton ran on balancing the budget, and did make attempts in that direction. Obama doesn't seem to care about the budget.

The problem with this statement is that, I don't think Obama would have done anything about the Housing bubble had he been the president at the time. Take for instance the community reinvestment act, which required banks to basically lend to minorities and the poor, and is largely at fault for the housing bubble. Do you really think Obama would have done anything differently? In my opinion, things would have been worse under Obama than Clinton in regards to bubbles.

While Obama's government didn't get shut down, it certainly came close to it. The difference between then and now is not because Obama is a genius. But rather it was that neither the Republicans nor the Democrats wanted a shutdown, because of what happened during the Clinton presidency.

I don't believe that if Obama had been president in 1995, that we would have avoided a shutdown.

Bin Laden might have died on Obama's watch, but I highly doubt Obama himself had anything to do with CIA policies that enabled them to find Bin Laden. The CIA had been gathering information for years under a directive that was the result of the Bush administration and people like Dick Cheney, whom the liberals despise. As well as information from terror suspects detained in Guantanamo bay and water-boarded.

So don't pretend for a minute that Obama would have done anything more than what Clinton did.

And Obama actually plans to change that? Not likely.

The reality is, when you compare Obama to Clinton, Obama just comes out the weaker link.

Clinton is simply more intelligent and more knowledgeable, he is a better communicator. He comes off more likeable and less elitist. Regardless of the squabbling between Republicans and Democrats, Clinton was much better at working across the isle than Obama. Clinton ran on a platform of shrinking welfare and the national debt. Neither really interest Obama.

Right now Clinton is out doing good works in his Clinton-global-initiative. What do you think Obama will be doing 10 years from now?
Playing golf and partying.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:48 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,857,513 times
Why is Bill trying to screw things up for our President?

Obama is ruint.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:04 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
I choose Barack, because Bill had illusion everything was fine and reep the rewards of the tech & .com boom but reaching across the aisle as poster stated above created this free trade agreement that sent our manufacturing over seas.It used to be easy to find made in USA but good luck randomly doing that today. There is small towns in North Carolina that relied on furniture & textile manufacturing now there is slim pickings.

Also he was one who signed DADT and DOMA. Now he says he ok with Gays.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:41 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
Clinton was/is a brilliant man. He was also a disgrace as president. You don't **** your interns.

Obama has more class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies