Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 11:00 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,566,999 times

Advertisements

and their families and friends.

everyone's elses opinon doesn't matter because the matter doesn't affect them and it isn't really any of their business.

every time a poster says they're against gay marriage, the first thing i ask is if they're gay or if a loved one is gay, if they're not then i disregard.

I don't even understanding why they're posting.

don't understand why the don't get that being gay is NOT a choice, they're basically trying to make my life harder and crapier with NO benefit to them.

basically they're FOR evil.

defintion of evil i learned in philosophy class is anything that adds to pain and suffering and doesn't add any GOOD.

(usually someone will try to make the case that is is about them, by talking about the 'definition' being changed for everyone. but everybody knows this is a simply ploy to try to make THESMELVES look like the victims and to try to make it SEEM like it impacts them when it really doesn't)

since if you're born straight it doesn't change anything for you. they know that but they're not intellectually honest... because it's all about THEMSELVES and THEIR WORLDVIEW POSSIBLY being not correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 11:06 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,314,856 times
I don't know why gay marriage is even a item to be voted for or against. Its not like denying people the right to marry will stop them from being gay.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:18 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,237,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I don't know why gay marriage is even a item to be voted for or against. Its not like denying people the right to marry will stop them from being gay.
Actually, denying some people the right to marry might very well increase their future gaiety.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:21 PM

438 posts, read 943,930 times
But....but....we might have to see them hold hands in public and stuff!
FREAK OUT!!!!

Old 03-26-2012, 11:22 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,649,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastelito de limon View Post
But....but....we might have to see them hold hands in public and stuff!
FREAK OUT!!!!

Your screen name is cool. I'm going to rep you!

Old 03-26-2012, 11:28 PM

23,070 posts, read 28,791,614 times
If a vote came up, among straights, to either abolish heterosexual marriage, make it illegal, or keep it legal, what would be the results? Anyone?

No difference in the Gay world. Many Gay people out there, including myself and two Gay co-workers, remain opposed to it! Wouldn't vote Yes under no circumstances!

But I know a large group of people who would definitely Vote Yes to Gay marriage, even though the majority of them are straight: Divorce Attorneys! $$$ makes the world go around!!!

Last edited by tijlover; 03-26-2012 at 11:29 PM.. Reason: Add line

Old 03-26-2012, 11:31 PM

44,987 posts, read 26,141,048 times
I don't know why people need a government to recognize their commitment to each other.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:32 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,450,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I don't know why people need a government to recognize their commitment to each other.
We need the government to recognize our committed relationships to receive the same rights, benefits, protections and privileges granted to heterosexuals with a simple civil marriage certificate. Without those protections, we are sitting ducks concerning joint property rights, retirement and medical benefits. Not even domestic partnerships protect us, they are more akin to registries than to marriage.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:28 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,566,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
why do straight people 'need' that right then?

Old 03-27-2012, 01:46 AM

29,095 posts, read 25,890,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
why do straight people 'need' that right then?
This question goes to the heart of the matter I believe. I have at one time thought the idea of government recognition of marriage was wrong, and the whole issue would go away if there was no "benefits" associated with marriage. Hpwever without those benefits what reason would the gay activists have to push gay marriage? The problem gay marriage activists have is that try to paint gays getting married as not affecting anyone but those "couples" - yet they want the rest of the public to approve the relationships.

Marriage is defined as the union between a man and a woman because it is the foundation of human society. Without a committed relationship between men and women families would not be successful and human society would break down - as we see occurring now with the attack on families.

The family is the basic unit of human society. Marriage laws define what marriage is so that this unit is preserved and children can be raised in a healthy environment conducive to their development.

If the issue of "gay marriage" didn't affect people other than those who choose to be gay then there would be no need to vote on it - however the laws regulating marriage are in the public domain and the laws are enacted by the voters - either indirectly through the elected representatives or directly through the initiative process.

If you really think that the issue doesn't affect anyone else then you shouldn't be supporting changing the law because the law is by definition written by all the people.

Gay marriage may one day become legal in all the states - this will be an acceptable outcome legally - because I believe in the integrity of our system. It will be a moral tragedy however - and will most certainly lead to our doom.

Last edited by Harrier; 03-27-2012 at 02:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies