Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2012, 07:18 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Um. No.

All the Arabs I know are shades and shades darker than me. Heck sone of them are as dark as sub Saharan Africans. Two people I know from Yemen come to mind. If they consider themselves white they must have sone serious self loathing issues. Same with all those Hispanics who are mostly of indigenous descent but mark white on the census. They are just trying to be something they are not. I wonder how many readers do this themselves.
You keep using the term "white" and refering to skin tone. Causasian is an old racial classification once widely used. It only means we have common ancestors that originated in middle asia. In regards to your "darker shades" many middle eastern peoples have been intermarrying with sub-saharan blacks for centuries. While I tend to think of myself as "white" I know most of my ancestors came from europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Nope half Italian and half Peruvian = Latino 100%
And that my friend is why u don't jump on a Mexican with a shotgun
I have a half jewish cousin now living in lima with his peruvian wife. His kid is beautiful. I have no idea what anyone would consider him.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:29 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
Yet he identifies with the black community. I'm saying this if only because he "seems" to have chosen to live within a black community far from the shores of a very multi-cultural multi-racial culture in hawaii.
Like he really "chose" to be identified as black... He is biracial, neither black or white. To others - particularly white others - he looks black and has thus been treated as black. Why wouldn't he identify with the black community?

Old 03-27-2012, 07:32 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
You keep using the term "white" and refering to skin tone. Causasian is an old racial classification once widely used. It only means we have common ancestors that originated in middle asia. In regards to your "darker shades" many middle eastern peoples have been intermarrying with sub-saharan blacks for centuries. While I tend to think of myself as "white" I know most of my ancestors came from europe.
Therefor they are not white. Lol.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Like he really "chose" to be identified as black... He is biracial, neither black or white. To others - particularly white others - he looks black and has thus been treated as black. Why wouldn't he identify with the black community?
Sorry, but I don't buy your "whites are all racist" argument. That argument is older and moldier than I am.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Therefor they are not white. Lol.
Just use european in place of white and you'll actually be more accurate. Ya' wanna' be accurate donja?

Old 03-27-2012, 07:36 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LOL...what's with white folks' obsession with wanting to be Indian?
Obsession? I didn't even know about my Indian ancestors until our 9th grade civics teacher had us all check into our family trees. I had always considered myself white and nothing else. Then I became a librarian and was given the same assignment; research your family tree so you can help others do the same. That is when I took one family name back to Germany that I had always thought was English. The only difference between the English name and the German name was the last letter in the name. I am not obsessed; I'm just educated.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Obsession? I didn't even know about my Indian ancestors until our 9th grade civics teacher had us all check into our family trees. I had always considered myself white and nothing else. Then I became a librarian and was given the same assignment; research your family tree so you can help others do the same. That is when I took one family name back to Germany that I had always thought was English. The only difference between the English name and the German name was the last letter in the name. I am not obsessed; I'm just educated.
Whites are obsessed with "indian" ancestors. I believe it's because we've been indoctrinated for decades to believe whites are somehow "uniquely" bad. Educated or not I've come to believe many of us are just afraid to be proud of our ancestry.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:49 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Some black people identify with the white community more.. they fit in more. The feel safer and I live in a mixed neighborhood with all kinds of people.

I know blacks who wouldn't walk down the street at night in an all black neighborhood. Now do you think a white person would walk in an all black neighborhood and feel safe? I don't think so.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:04 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,177,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes but hispanics can't have it both ways. They want their affirmative action, free college because of their race. The notion of a hispanic race only came after affirmative action so they could get in on quotas and lots of financial aid.
Actually, most Hispanics oppose affirmative action.

Affirmative action
Quote:
The vast majority of Americans, immigrants included, have supported equality of opportunity but have been opposed to preferential treatment for members of racial and ethnic groups. For example, polls have shown that more than 70 percent of Hispanics dislike racial preferences.
National (US) Poll * June 3, 2009 * U.S. Voters Disagree 3-1 With - Quinnipiac University – Hamden, Connecticut (http://www.quinnipiac.edu/institutes-and-centers/polling-institute/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=1307 - broken link)
Quote:
Oppose 70 - 25 percent giving some racial groups preference for government jobs to increase diversity. Black voters support it 49 - 45 percent while Hispanic voters are opposed 58 - 38 percent;
Oppose 74 - 21 percent giving some racial groups preference for private sector jobs to increase diversity. Voters in every racial and religious group oppose this;
Oppose 64 - 29 percent affirmative action for Hispanics in hiring, promotion and college entry. Black voters support it 59 - 30 percent while Hispanics split 47 - 48 percent;
Oppose 61 - 33 percent affirmative action for blacks in hiring, promotion and college entry. Black voters support this 69 - 26 percent, as do Hispanics 51 - 46 percent;
Oppose 62 - 32 percent affirmative action for white women in hiring, promotion and college entry. Women oppose this 58 - 35 percent but blacks support it 55 - 37 percent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies