Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2012, 07:21 AM

2,160 posts, read 1,955,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkaos2 View Post
He's white to the media because he's the perpetrator of the crime. If he was a crime victim, then they'd call him hispanic.

And it is the same with Obama. His race matters because he's a Democrat. If he was the first Republican Black President then there would be no cries of racism for opposing him. Nobody was ever a racist for opposing Allen West or Hermain Cain or Condolezza Rice or Colin Powell or Tim Scott. It's only racist to oppose liberal blacks.
What planet do you live on? The shrieks of "racism!" directed towards the left regarding Cain where shrill and endless from the right.

Conservative Hideout Rapid Fire » Herman Cain Gets Black Marks From Racist Liberals (http://conservativehideout.com/rapidfire/2011/10/13/herman-cain-gets-black-marks-from-racist-liberals/ - broken link)
Liberal Racists Malign Herman Cain | RedState

Liberal HIGH TECH LYNCHING of Herman Cain! RACISM IS STILL ALIVE!!! - YouTube

Yep, even from Herman Cain himself:
Cain charges some in black community of racism – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 07:31 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
Whites are obsessed with "indian" ancestors. I believe it's because we've been indoctrinated for decades to believe whites are somehow "uniquely" bad. Educated or not I've come to believe many of us are just afraid to be proud of our ancestry.
That is a cover up for the fact that racism in the USA has been promoted by whites. Note the word... "Caucasian". We say, "White Caucasian" or "Caucasian/White". Why? Clearly, not ALL white are bad. But stop with extremism and think logically why people are wary of those who push for "Whiteness". This country has plenty of history and evidence where there was a "White Treatment" versus "Colored People Treatment". Nobody appears to be claiming that all Whites weren't colored but a select group did qualify... white not being a color.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:31 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Unless you are including Spaniards, that is not true at all. Most Hispanics in the US and Latin America are not white.
Most Hispanics from Latin America look white to me (regardless of their tan), if I had to attribute them to one of the three races (which I'm glad I don't). They look more like southern Europeans than like Chinese to me.
Bolivia and Peru are the only Hispanic countries where native Americans are the largest ethnic groups, in all other Hispanic countries people are utterly mixed (mostly of Europeans and the old Siberian stock).

Old 03-28-2012, 07:35 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,409,483 times
If 1/2 white + 1/2 hispanic = white, then does 1/2 white + 1/2 black = white also? I think this kind of math is very problematic. 1/2 hispanic + 1/2 black = What? Sounds more like an exercise in eugenics rather than math.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
That's true. From my background you would expect I would be fairer haired with lighter eyes like my ancestors from the 11-13th Centuries, but nope, I have dark brown/black hair and very dark eyes with a darker skin tone. The Cherokee genetics were stronger than the Scottish or English ones.
That doesn't have to do with European or not. Brown eyes and hair are dominant even within typical European peoples such as the Germans or the French. Originally Europeans were all darker as well, the notion that Europeans are supposed to be light-eyed and haired is wrong in my view. Human history in Europe doesn't support that view.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:41 AM

2,918 posts, read 5,609,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Unless you are including Spaniards, that is not true at all. Most Hispanics in the US and Latin America are not white.
you don't know many hispanics, do you? most of the whites in latin america are something other than spaniard.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
If 1/2 white + 1/2 hispanic = white, then does 1/2 white + 1/2 black = white also? I think this kind of math is very problematic. 1/2 hispanic + 1/2 black = What? Sounds more like an exercise in eugenics rather than math.
Indeed, in times of global race mixing the old concept of those three races is totally outdated.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:46 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
It is an exercise in divisive politics. It is either race/ethnicity, or religion, that has served politicians well. I wish we, as a society, would learn to grow up and stop counting people based on these non-sensical grounds.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:50 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post

Why not? That's what she is right? Our friend that served int he Army with hubby is considered African-American by the Army (they wrote it down FOR him on his documents!), and that's what he goes by.
I am willing to bet that this is more of an ironic joke than actual policy. Indeed, there is no designation for the term "African-American" in the Army's official Affirmative Action guidelines. Makes sense, since it is an ethnic, not racial term, and in any event, white people from Africa are not part of this ethnic group. To the Army, racially you can be black, or white, or American Indian, or Asian, or other, or unknown. Ethnic terms they acknowledge include Aleut, Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Latin American (Hispanics not from Mexico, Cuba or PR), Aleut, Eskimo, American Indian, Melanesian, Polynesian, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, Filipino, Indian, etc........The Army/DOD does not acknowledge the term African-American.

Quote:

I consider Arab peoples to be a mix of Asian, Black African, and European that ended up creating a new mix altogether.
Pretty much.

Quote:
Wrong again. The US Military deems those people African-American.
See above.

Quote:
I looked for ALL my heritage, and found it.
That's good. That's also quite rare.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:50 AM

19 posts, read 39,682 times
Default Hispanic Identity

Basically-your ethnic identity is whatever YOU think it is. If you are Hispanic-that just basically means some of your ancestors came from Spain-which is smack dab in the middle of Europe-north of Greece, Italy and other European countries.

In Puerto Rico there are separate sub-sub ethnicities: I asked a Puerto-Rican how they see themselves they said there are 3 kinds of Puerto-Ricans: Hispanic means white/ European, Black= (African and Hispanic mixed) and Indian-they considered themselves Hispanic. Well the DNA tests found that 60% of Puerto-ricans have Indian ancestry. So you see how complicated it is. If a person that is an Irish-American gets their DNA tested they will see that they are probably part Hispanic because there was a lot of travel and migration between Ireland and Spain/ Portugal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies