Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2012, 09:03 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times

Advertisements

So what about people who get a good tan.. what are they?.. they look brown. If white people are such racists , why do they want to get a good tan down the beach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 09:07 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Ethnically Latin America is such a mess (in a positive way), except for recent immigrants there are hardly any if any purely white people, even green or blue eyes or blond hair does not mean that you don't have black or native American ancestors.
I know that. My son was born with blond hair and blue eyes.

Quote:
Sure, that racist hierarchy installed by whites is also a problem, but I hope it will disappear one day. I guess it will disappear there sooner than in the US.
Dunno....but it won't be soon enough.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:37 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
It is far beyond me to perpetuate a rule I had nothing to do with starting or spreading. I only have had to deal with it.
No, it goes beyond that.

Take the picture of the boys, for example. The one on the left would never have to "deal with" the possibility that he has some black ancestry.

Yet, you would deny him the ability to identify with what he looks, may feels like, and associates with, because of his "mixture."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario
What does "culturally white" mean? Does it mean that you subscribe to white supremacist notions, i.e., white is superior to Indigenous or African, or are affected by them in your daily life? If that is the case, there is nobody in North or Latin America who is not culturally white.
I am the opposite of a white supremacist, because I DON'T subscribe to one drop rules.

But if you want to pretend that there's no differences culturally between ethnicities, (in general) races, etc., than you are being disingenuous. And actually, if I were to choose, I'd say East Asian culture is superior for positive educational and professional outcomes, not American white culture!

Quote:
Change the "Indian" to "African" in your statement. Does that mean that most African Americans or African Latinos, or even someone like Barack Obama, is actually white?

Barack Obama is as much white as he is black. Phenotypically, he is black (doesn't even look very mixed, perhaps the outcome of having a true-African father), which means of course he is perceived as black.

If an Asian marries a black person, do they cease to be Asian? And only black?

You can be any mixture that includes "black," and you're OK with labelling that person black.... but say an Asian marries a white and has kids... are the kids not able to say they are Asian? White? They have to be "mixed?"

George Zimmerman is phenotypically mestizo looking. THAT'S why you get people saying, "well, the guy is not white".... as if being mixed race makes a difference.

Quote:
Thank you for defining blackness for us.
Why not? You think you can define whiteness.

Quote:
Most Latin Americans have white ancestors. Most are not purely white, and Latin America does have a color/race hierarchy, with European on the top, mestizo in the middle, and Indian and African on the bottom.

Who sounds like the white supremacist now? "Not purely white?" So what!

I say, if you're PREDOMINANTLY white, go ahead and call yourself white. If you're PREDOMINANTLY black, go ahead and call yourself black. Indian? Go for it.

Especially in the United States, where again (we have had this disagreement so many times in the past).... the way people IDENTIFY, rather than whether they fit a stereotypical idea that white = blond/bue eyed --- has so many more implications as to the future of racial composition and attitudes!

Old 03-28-2012, 09:44 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
So black people can have white children?
Anyone who looks white, is white. Anyone who looks black is black. Don't you think you are getting a little too scientific about it. Obama looks black, and Zimmerman looks white.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Anyone who looks white, is white. Anyone who looks black is black. Don't you think you are getting a little too scientific about it. Obama looks black, and Zimmerman looks white.
Your opinion. To me, Zimmerman looks indigenous South American and white.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
No, it goes beyond that.

Take the picture of the boys, for example. The one on the left would never have to "deal with" the possibility that he has some black ancestry.
Sure he would, if he were in a family full of people who showed their black ancestry on their faces, hair, etc. I have relatives that look like that boy, hence my point.

Quote:
Yet, you would deny him the ability to identify with what he looks, may feels like, and associates with, because of his "mixture."
I am not denying anything to anyone.

Quote:
I am the opposite of a white supremacist, because I DON'T subscribe to one drop rules.

But if you want to pretend that there's no differences culturally between ethnicities, (in general) races, etc., than you are being disingenuous. And actually, if I were to choose, I'd say East Asian culture is superior for positive educational and professional outcomes, not American white culture!
I don't think any culture is superior or inferior to any other culture.

Quote:
Barack Obama is as much white as he is black. Phenotypically, he is black (doesn't even look very mixed, perhaps the outcome of having a true-African father), which means of course he is perceived as black.
Of course, by saying that Obama is black phenotypically, you are being just as "one-drop" as I am........which proves my points pretty convincingly.

Quote:
If an Asian marries a black person, do they cease to be Asian? And only black?
As incomprehensible as this question is, it does raise questions about the children themselves..........

Quote:
You can be any mixture that includes "black," and you're OK with labelling that person black.... but say an Asian marries a white and has kids... are the kids not able to say they are Asian? White? They have to be "mixed?"
I really don't care......but since you asked, I would say that it seems that white-Asian mixed children tend to be considered white - by Asians, who think they married "up", but also by whites; but black-Asian mixed children tend to be considered black - especially by Asians.

Quote:
George Zimmerman is phenotypically mestizo looking. THAT'S why you get people saying, "well, the guy is not white".... as if being mixed race makes a difference.
Yes, he looks like a mestizo. In America, that means nonwhite. In this case, I don't think the fact he is mixed race makes a difference.

Quote:
Why not? You think you can define whiteness.
Not my definition.

Quote:
Who sounds like the white supremacist now? "Not purely white?" So what!
Now that would be funny. A black Hispanic is a white supremacist. Then again, we do have black white supremacists on this forum.

Quote:
I say, if you're PREDOMINANTLY white, go ahead and call yourself white. If you're PREDOMINANTLY black, go ahead and call yourself black. Indian? Go for it.
OK. We'll see how that works.......

Quote:
Especially in the United States, where again (we have had this disagreement so many times in the past).... the way people IDENTIFY, rather than whether they fit a stereotypical idea that white = blond/bue eyed --- has so many more implications as to the future of racial composition and attitudes!
I don't share your optimistic - for lack of a better word - view.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:05 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Your opinion. To me, Zimmerman looks indigenous South American and white.
White, black or Asian. Pick one.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
White, black or Asian. Pick one.
He's not white, not black, not Asian. Asian and white. Mestizo. Latino.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:44 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
That is a cover up for the fact that racism in the USA has been promoted by whites.
So you're one of those people who feel only whites have been racist in this country. Not a very well thought out.........thought.

Quote:
Note the word... "Caucasian". We say, "White Caucasian" or "Caucasian/White". Why? Clearly, not ALL white are bad. But stop with extremism and think logically why people are wary of those who push for "Whiteness".
Good grief would that be the 200 or so of the "caucasion" population that still belongs to the nazi party or kkk?

Quote:
This country has plenty of history and evidence where there was a "White Treatment" versus "Colored People Treatment". Nobody appears to be claiming that all Whites weren't colored but a select group did qualify... white not being a color.
I'm a white southern heterosexual man. In my time in this country I've been attacked, robbed, denigrated, had my job threatened, and been denied a job because I am a white southern man.

I was in several fights, all one sided, when I was one of only three white kids in a school populated by mexican americans, because I was white. In the navy I was discriminated against by blacks, because I was white. I was denied a job in a school, because I was a man. I spent 7 miserable years working for a lesbian principle who never missed a dirty, low down, nasty trick to pull on me, because I was both a man and a heterosexual.

I was robbed in mexico, by the police, because I was an american. I won't mention just how snotty the europeans were because of my nationality.

I spent most of my childhood in fights because I was; skinny, had glasses, came from arkansas, and to top it all off, I came from a poor family, and at one time, a high school dropout.

In my first teaching job I went with a group of high school kids to the state fair in little rock. On the way out of the fairgrounds we were routed into a black neighborhood where the people threw rocks at our bus.....because we were all white. I had to physically keep several of the boys from going after them. The boys never realized I'd rather have joined them but I had a job to do.

Now I get to listen to a bunch of white limosine liberals tell me just how bad my ancestors were and I should feel ashamed.

There's only one problem. I learned to read. There isn't a single group on this planet that hasn't done something wrong to some other group. That includes every demographic on this continent. Every single one.

So......you just run along and get back to me when you come to this realization. I'll be ready to have a grown up conversation with ya'.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:46 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,442 times
The fact that you needed to bring this up is also pretty racist, as if it should even matter??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies