Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2012, 04:06 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,959,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperManGuy1 View Post
No, all the ladies you mentioned are mixed with "Hispanic," a term used to define what an average or average range of look of a "Hispanic" would be in the mind of an average American.

None of them look as Negroid as Kelly Price or Kelly Rowland, because all of them are mixed with Caucasoid and slight or some Mongloid.

I should start charging you guys for tuition by giving you free history and heritage lessons.
I would want a refund.

Hispanic is a linguistic, and it means "from Spanish speak descent."

Originally, Spain was called Hispania (Latin), which, through bastardization, became "Espana." The term "Latin America" only came into use in the very early 20th century, and before that, it was called Hispano-America. Thus, immigrants who came from there (and this excludes Brazil), eventually became known as Hispanics, a category that the U.S. government created in the mid 20th century. That is why, on census forms, it specifically notes that Hispanics can be of any race because is it NOT a racial category. It has become used as one through ignorance, wherein Hispanic = looks Mexican. Go to Argentina - you'll find extremely white people there who do not fit into what the American public thinks of, through ignorance, as "Hispanic." In fact, you'll find people like that anywhere in Latin America. Similarly, you'll also find Afro-Latinos who are very dark, who also do not fit into what you consider "Hispanic." That is why it is pointless to use Hispanic as a racial category, because it leads to stupid conversations like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 04:12 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,607,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Nah, I don't. I just happen to be one. If you include Brazil, yes, most of the whites are not Spanish, though there are a few there as well. But in any event, in Spanish-speaking countries, yes, most whites are of Spanish origins. There are also lots of descendants of Italian, German, British, Portuguese, Ashkenazic Jewish, and French immigrants in Latin America.
you happen to be what? a white hispanic who is not spanish? because i am, which is the reason i am so peeved at your absurd statement. latin america is a diverse place that received immigrants from many european countries. the spanish did not follow the same immigration patterns as other european nationalities. they are much more intermixed. most of the ppl who are 100% european in latin america are not spaniard

Old 03-28-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperManGuy1 View Post
In your mind, maybe not, but in the average American's mind, definately yes.

If P. Diddy and JLo had a baby, it's a mixed black and Hispanic, and not just black or just Hispanic.
avg americans mind? the US census would classify such a baby as a hispanic of 2 or more races

Old 03-28-2012, 04:24 PM

i like the nightlife, but thats not important im in the US right now on business trip

Old 03-28-2012, 05:04 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
So is it Nordic people who are to decide who is white and who is not?
I think they should.

I look Nordic (if we are referring to Nordic as meaning blonde, blue eyed, and burning under the sun), and I just find it humorous that Arabs from Oman or Native Americans and Mestizos from Mexico think they are the same race as me.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:25 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
I would want a refund.

Hispanic is a linguistic, and it means "from Spanish speak descent."

Originally, Spain was called Hispania (Latin), which, through bastardization, became "Espana." The term "Latin America" only came into use in the very early 20th century, and before that, it was called Hispano-America. Thus, immigrants who came from there (and this excludes Brazil), eventually became known as Hispanics, a category that the U.S. government created in the mid 20th century. That is why, on census forms, it specifically notes that Hispanics can be of any race because is it NOT a racial category. It has become used as one through ignorance, wherein Hispanic = looks Mexican. Go to Argentina - you'll find extremely white people there who do not fit into what the American public thinks of, through ignorance, as "Hispanic." In fact, you'll find people like that anywhere in Latin America. Similarly, you'll also find Afro-Latinos who are very dark, who also do not fit into what you consider "Hispanic." That is why it is pointless to use Hispanic as a racial category, because it leads to stupid conversations like this.

ok

then how about 1/2 white and 1/2 latino.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
ok

then how about 1/2 white and 1/2 latino.
The only difference between Hispanic and Latino is that:

Hispanic = Spanish speaker

Latino = Romance language speaker (Spanish, Portugese, etc).

Neither Hispanic or Latino have anything to do with race.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:17 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I think they should.

I look Nordic (if we are referring to Nordic as meaning blonde, blue eyed, and burning under the sun), and I just find it humorous that Arabs from Oman or Native Americans and Mestizos from Mexico think they are the same race as me.
Funny because I've see some Asians; probably Chinese from China who were def "white" in skin color. Maybe not Nordic but lighter skinned than many Italians. Not white legally but def pale skin.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:20 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Funny because I've see some Asians; probably Chinese from China who were def "white" in skin color. Maybe not Nordic but lighter skinned than many Italians. Not white legally but def pale skin.

calling a person that is mixed hispanic half white and half latino/hispanic is better than calling someone half white and half tan.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I happen to live with a Chinese man who is just as pale as me, if not more so. But pale eastern Asians are not the confused ones marking White on census forms. Very dark skinned people from Latin America and the Middle East are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies