Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 06:47 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times

Advertisements

Important paragraph...

Stockdale said he cannot talk specifically about the case, but did give a statement. “Garrett-Keyser-Butler Schools has not suspended or expelled any student for using their personal electronic device inappropriately on their own network, including this situation,” he said.

Stockdale said the school district has disciplined students who inappropriately use the school’s network or its electronic devices, including iPads or Macbooks.

hmmmm...The kid may have used the school network...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 06:52 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Important paragraph...

Stockdale said he cannot talk specifically about the case, but did give a statement. “Garrett-Keyser-Butler Schools has not suspended or expelled any student for using their personal electronic device inappropriately on their own network, including this situation,” he said.

Stockdale said the school district has disciplined students who inappropriately use the school’s network or its electronic devices, including iPads or Macbooks.

hmmmm...The kid may have used the school network...
At 2:30 in the morning. Maybe it wasn't the best call to usethe school's network but the punishment is WAY too severe. No prom, blank graduation diploma, etc.? Come on, that's ridiculous.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:10 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,344,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Can you say "Brave New World"?

I thought what kids do on their own time is their own business.

Cussing out a teacher? Yeah toss him out.

Cussing out a fellow student? A slap on the wrist by all means.

But tweeting a naughty word outside of school hours? And someone had to go to the trouble to FIND his potty-nouth tweet.

School expels student for swearing on Twitter during non-school hours | Technology News Blog - Yahoo! News
Welcome to your progressive school system entrenched in liberalism.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:13 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Welcome to your progressive school system entrenched in liberalism.
In case you haven't noticed, most liberals fight for freedom of speech too.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:17 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
At 2:30 in the morning. Maybe it wasn't the best call to usethe school's network but the punishment is WAY too severe. No prom, blank graduation diploma, etc.? Come on, that's ridiculous.

Well, take that argument to the principal. All I'm saying is that there is more to the story than a simple F-Bomb.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:58 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,627,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ull2015 View Post
this is f****** ridiculous lmao...No but on a serious note why are the parents not enraged over this...a day or two off from school maybe...but expulsion? Is this what we have come to?
Not even that, IMO.

I don't CARE that it was the school's property (the computer he used to make the Tweet on) or not, he was AT home NOT during school hours; IMO it's NONE of the school's business.

No punishment at all is deserved, IMO.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:59 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,771,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Can you say "Brave New World"?

I thought what kids do on their own time is their own business.

Cussing out a teacher? Yeah toss him out.

Cussing out a fellow student? A slap on the wrist by all means.

But tweeting a naughty word outside of school hours? And someone had to go to the trouble to FIND his potty-nouth tweet.

School expels student for swearing on Twitter during non-school hours | Technology News Blog - Yahoo! News
Supreme Court already said freedom of speech and privacy does apply to minors....so....lawsuit and easy win. Done.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:07 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Well, take that argument to the principal. All I'm saying is that there is more to the story than a simple F-Bomb.
I agree there has to be. Even if the kid was using a school network, how from home I don't know to begin with, but that wouldn't get one expelled. Maybe suspended. Something is amiss. If he was expelled for that then I am at a loss for words myself.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:09 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Not even that, IMO.

I don't CARE that it was the school's property (the computer he used to make the Tweet on) or not, he was AT home NOT during school hours; IMO it's NONE of the school's business.

No punishment at all is deserved, IMO.
It's like using your office PC to send personal emails. Every company has a policy against it but nobody enforces it. They can use it to fire you if they want though.

These are kids though and to ruin somebody's future by expelling them for a tweet is nonsense. There has to be more to this story like the other poster said.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:15 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Wow, that's f***ed up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies