Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2012, 12:18 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,742,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
50,000,000 is a rather impressive number. It is also a sad number.
But really, where should we draw the line at where personhood starts?

Maybe it begins when the future parents place their e-Harmony ads?

Old 03-28-2012, 12:20 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Yeah - those 30 million never got a chance to take Flintstones vitamins and grow...
As a conservative (I assume), I must ask if you'd be okay with supporting these 50,000,000+ babies who most likely would have born into poverty - at BEST. The Republicans only seem to care about protecting fetuses, but once they're a baby it's all: "Who cares? Let 'em starve if their parents were irresponsible enough to get pregnant!" If you don't believe me, just look through all the anti-WIC and anti-welfare threads started by conservatives on here. And why are there adoption waiting lists for healthy white newborns, while the less-than-healthy (i.e. born addicted or HIV positive) and/or minority babies are rotting away in foster care? Explain that, please.

To quote the late great George Carlin: "Pro-life conservatives are obsessed with the fetus from conception to nine months. After that, they don’t want to know about you. They don’t want to hear from you. No nothing. No neonatal care, no day care, no head start, no school lunch, no food stamps, no welfare, no nothing. If you’re preborn, you’re fine; if you’re preschool, you’re f***ed." Now THAT man should have run for President, hehe.

Last edited by gizmo980; 03-28-2012 at 12:29 AM..

Old 03-28-2012, 12:21 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post

Maybe it begins when the future parents place their e-Harmony ads?
Don't be ridiculous.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
As a conservative (I assume), I must ask if you'd be okay with supporting these 50,000,000+ babies who most likely would have born into poverty - at BEST. The Republicans only seem to care about protecting fetuses, but once they're a baby it's all: "Who cares? Let 'em starve if their parents were irresponsible enough to get pregnant!" If you don't believe me, just look through all the anti-WIC and anti-welfare threads started by conservatives on here. And why are there adoption waiting lists for healthy white newborns, while the less-than-healthy (i.e. born addicted or HIV positive) and/or minority babies are rotting away in foster care? Explain that, please.

To quote the late great George Carlin: "Pro-life conservatives are obsessed with the fetus from conception to nine months. After that, they don’t want to know about you. They don’t want to hear from you. No nothing. No neonatal care, no day care, no head start, no school lunch, no food stamps, no welfare, no nothing. If you’re preborn, you’re fine; if you’re preschool, you’re f***ed." Now THAT man should have run for President, hehe.
"Adoption" isn't in your vocabulary?

Old 03-28-2012, 12:24 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,252,137 times
Quote:
but really, where should we draw the line at where personhood starts?

Maybe it begins when the future parents place their e-harmony ads?
lol

Old 03-28-2012, 12:28 AM

Quote:
"Adoption" isn't in your vocabulary?
It is in mine, but it sure isn't in everyone's vocabulary... let alone 50,000,000 families' vocabularies, especially when we're talking about non-white and possibly "imperfect" babies. Perhaps you should read my whole post again, including this part: "And why are there adoption waiting lists for healthy white newborns, while the less-than-healthy (i.e. born addicted or HIV positive) and/or minority babies are rotting away in foster care?" I know kids who are currently in foster care, as well as adults who were in foster care, and I'm sure they wonder why adoption isn't more popular too.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:28 AM

Quote:
100% of "fetuses" become human beings once they leave the womb alive. That fact helps make a pretty good argument that a "fetus" is a living human being while it is inside the womb. Pretending it is isn't may be convenient for those who want an excuse to be irresponsible - but has very little to do with good morality.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
It is in mine, but it sure isn't in everyone's vocabulary... let alone 50,000,000 families' vocabularies, especially when we're talking about non-white and possibly "imperfect" babies.
What in the world does race have to do with this discussion?

Old 03-28-2012, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Don't be ridiculous.
I had the same reaction when I read this thread's OP... but I guess we all have a different concept of what's ridiculous, huh?

Old 03-28-2012, 12:35 AM

Quote:
What in the world does race have to do with this discussion?
A lot, when you consider how many of those 50,000,000 babies would have been non-white... and as I already stated, anything OTHER than a healthy white baby has a harder time being adopted. So it's really quite relevant, when you're suggesting every single woman who gets pregnant should have the baby - and simply put it up for adoption, while you sit back and smugly assume they'll find some Daddy Warbucks to adopt them. But the real world isn't like Annie, and SO many of those children end up in foster care until age 18. That's reality, sad as it may be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies