Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 08:01 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,213,546 times

Advertisements

As a gauge of how you personally feel about this year's presidential candidates, either for their political positions, their personality, or whatever quality you decide on - of the 2012 presidential candidates, those running now or those who ran but dropped out - how would you rate your desire and likelihood of shaking their hand if you had the chance?

0 - I would refuse to shake his/her hand.
1 - I'd shake hands, but unenthusiastically and just out of politeness.
2 - I'd shake hands and view candidate just like anyone else I'd shake hands with as a friendly gesture.
3 - I'd happily shake hands and look forward to it.
4 - I'd enthusiastically shake hands and give him/her a back slap or hug (or at least feel like it!)

Feel free to rate any or all of the candidates.

Last edited by robbobobbo; 03-28-2012 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: Doh! This year is 2012!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 10:37 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,578,626 times
#2 - I shake any candidates hand...even if it's someone like David Duke or Alan Keyes.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:24 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,500,332 times
I would shake any candidate's hands. Just because I might disagree with them doesn't mean I'd leave common courtesy at the door.

If I met Obama I would be very polite, very gracious, and respectful despite having very fundamental differences in opinion with him. I'm a firm believer in civility.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:28 PM

1,081 posts, read 914,634 times
Only Ron Paul's hand. He makes me laugh.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:29 PM

56,989 posts, read 35,122,003 times
I'll shake any man's hand that approaches me in a respectful manner....and i mean ANYONE regardless of his personal philosophy.

That's what civilized people do. Those that wouldn't do that are dumbass troglodytes with no home training.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:31 PM

30,226 posts, read 23,643,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
As a gauge of how you personally feel about this year's presidential candidates, either for their political positions, their personality, or whatever quality you decide on - of the 2012 presidential candidates, those running now or those who ran but dropped out - how would you rate your desire and likelihood of shaking their hand if you had the chance?

2 - I'd shake hands and view candidate just like anyone else I'd shake hands with as a friendly gesture.
4 - I'd enthusiastically shake hands and give him/her a back slap or hug (or at least feel like it!)

I'd have to go with 1 on all of them except Paul. I don't like shaking hands as it is but apparently it's polite or something. So, if I met them, if they were standing in front of me with their hand out, I'm not going to be a jerk and refuse, I'll remain civil but it would most definitely be only out of politeness.

With Paul, I might want to do 4 but would go with 3 in reality because he's not my chum who gets a slap on the back, he gets respect and I would definitely look forward to it.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:33 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,825,162 times
Quote:

Of course I would ... well, except Saintorum, he's got cooties.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:34 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,081,959 times
Quote:

If a hand is offered, I shake it. It's just the mannerly thing to do.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:35 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,466,872 times
What dd said. That's what civilized people do. I think most reasonable people in real life would do the same. The internet is just a cover for cowardly people claiming to be internet tough. Sh*t, most of you would crap your pants if President Obama walked into your place of work right now.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:39 PM

56,989 posts, read 35,122,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
If a hand is offered, I shake it. It's just the mannerly thing to do.
And that's what any person would do if they were raised right.

When i see a person with his hand extended, their political philosophy doesn't even occur to me. I see a person...no more, no less. When i was in Michigan back in November, i had a chance to shake Herman Cain's hand, but there were too many people in the crowd so i took off. No, i don't agree with him on political issues, but i bet that he likes a good steak, good wine, some BBQ, sports, pretty women (obviously), etc....

Why do people always see everything through a political prism ALL THE TIME? We're people first before we're Dems, Repubs, Libertarians, Commies, or whatever. Try to relate to people based on a human level before you worry about their politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies