Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 12:31 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Except the president has more victories then jimmy carter did, is more eloquent then jimmy carter, and will not be facing ronald reagan. Mixed in with the fact that republican turnout is likely to mirror the primary turnout it's not really going to matter much unless the independents choose mitt by a landslide.
Primary turnout is up over 2008 levels. There is no enthusiasm gap.....no matter what Rachel Maddow or anyone else told you. That kind of puts your theory to bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 12:38 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,324,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
I actually was thinking which side is helped the most with the eventual outcome of this decision.

If the mandate is struck down (I don't think the whole law is unconstitutional, but perhaps without the mandate, the rest folds), I could see this firing up the Obama base and perhaps helping him and Democrats come the fall. I could also see a little 'egg on face' and make some independents lose faith in Obama. Overall, though, I might score a Supreme Court loss as an Obama gain.
This is certainly the James Carville spin, and he is good at it, but he was working with Bill Clinton, and Obama is no Clinton.

I don't know how this is going to go down, but it is going to create one gawd-almighty stink one way or the other. Too bad Obama didn't spend more time on the economy instead of this stupid healthcare bill. A healthy economy soothes many ills and IMO he would've been better off working in that direction...if we had 6-7% unemployment he'd be in for a second term and could have shoved through healthcare then. But he took Pelosi's advice (or orders).

Old 03-28-2012, 12:39 PM

3,826 posts, read 3,386,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Constitution 1, Obamacare 0.

If this occurs, the admin and Pelosi have no one to blame but themselves. The Constitution is not something that can be ignored, it outlasts a president and a Congress.

Obama will be leave office in November with nothing but a T-Shirt and a used Air-Force One jacket with his name on it.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:46 PM

39,861 posts, read 26,482,831 times
The biggest issue I have with this is how the law has been implimented. Aspects of the law are already in place. Others are scheduled to go into place over the next couple of years. The states, businesses and the insurance industry have already spent a massive amount of money to comply with Obamacare...all without knowing if it is constitutional. And they have to continue to do so in order to be in compliance, until the SC hands down a ruling.

Stupid, stupid, stupid way to run a country. The entire law should have been put "on hold" until the constitutional issues were resolved.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 03-28-2012 at 01:59 PM..

Old 03-28-2012, 12:50 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
This is certainly the James Carville spin, and he is good at it, but he was working with Bill Clinton, and Obama is no Clinton.

I don't know how this is going to go down, but it is going to create one gawd-almighty stink one way or the other. Too bad Obama didn't spend more time on the economy instead of this stupid healthcare bill. A healthy economy soothes many ills and IMO he would've been better off working in that direction...if we had 6-7% unemployment he'd be in for a second term and could have shoved through healthcare then. But he took Pelosi's advice (or orders).
I've said all along that this will be his biggest regret. He honestly thought that passing the $787M stimulus enabled him to put economic policy on autopilot while he tended to healthcare reform. The Rookie took his eye off the ball. How stupid can it get? The worst Recession in our history and we have an ideologue "taking advantage of a crisis" to pass his "transformational" agenda?? Unbelievable.

If you recall, 2009 was a HORRIFIC year for the United States, but what were we talking about? The "public option," the "Cornhusker Kickback," and the "Lousiana Purchase." American's were PIISSED! And they still are.

This President has faltered like none other. I believe he knows that, especially in light of the upcoming Mother Of All Slapdowns from the Supreme Court.

I believe with utmost certainty that Barack Obama is a One Term President. He deserves it.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:53 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,139,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Constitution 1, Obamacare 0.

If this occurs, the admin and Pelosi have no one to blame but themselves. The Constitution is not something that can be ignored, it outlasts a president and a Congress.
I expect that the court will only knock down the mandate and leave the rest of it standing even though the law does not have a severibility clause in it. If they do, that will bring about an interesting scenario because it will leave in place the requirement that insurance be provided to everybody without question on pre existing conditions but the other half of that deal- the requirement that everybody buy insurance- would be gone. I don't know how they would do a work around on that because if they didn't the insurance companies would flee from medical insurance leaving millions more without insurance which was the purpose of the law to begin with.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:59 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,957,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The biggest issue I have with this is how the law has been implimented. Aspects of the law are already in place. Others are scheduled to go into place over the next couple of years. The states and the insurance industry have already spent a massive amount of money to comply with Obamacare...all without knowing if it is constitutional. And they have to continue to do so in order to be in compliance, until the SC hands down a ruling.

Stupid, stupid, stupid way to run a country. The entire law should have been put "on hold" until the constitutional issues were resolved.
It's not stupid at all. That's why they timed the really big ticket items like the mandate to not kick-in until 2014 and later. That gave enough time for the parts of HCRA to make it through the courts and solution devised should part of it be declared unconstitutional. It's actually brilliant when you think about it. The White House is playing a long game here, knowing full well they couldn't get close to what they really wanted (single payer) without going through these hoops.

Last edited by Mr. Mon; 03-28-2012 at 01:09 PM..

Old 03-28-2012, 01:01 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
No mandate = no law effectively. Workaround to an incredibly flawed bill = not possible.

It would be step 1 again. The SC knows they need not formally strike down the bill, just axing the mandate crumbles the house of cards.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:07 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,957,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin Rick View Post
I expect that the court will only knock down the mandate and leave the rest of it standing even though the law does not have a severibility clause in it. If they do, that will bring about an interesting scenario because it will leave in place the requirement that insurance be provided to everybody without question on pre existing conditions but the other half of that deal- the requirement that everybody buy insurance- would be gone. I don't know how they would do a work around on that because if they didn't the insurance companies would flee from medical insurance leaving millions more without insurance which was the purpose of the law to begin with.
Due to the fact that most private insurance companies will not be able to survive as profitable entities if the other parts of the bill are implemented without the mandate I think you're going to see one or more of the following three outcomes:

1) The insurance companies are still state charted companies so you will have them clamoring each state to set-up exchanges with mandates like the Massachusetts model, or moving to single payer like Vermont is doing - this will not happen in any Southern state.

2) If the Dems somehow take the house and Senate we could see a Medicare for all system. Or maybe a Federally regulated exchange along the lines of the German or Swiss models However, I don't see either of these happening.

3) The low hanging fruit would be bringing back the Public Option of low cost federally funded insurance for those who make too much for Medicaid, but can't afford personal policies.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:07 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
this must be the flipside of the
opposition to the gulf war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies