Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Concerning abortion - are you pro-life or pro-death?
Pro-life 70 44.30%
Pro-death 66 41.77%
No opinion 22 13.92%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 12:51 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I know you just want to punish women for having enjoyable sex(jealous) but YOU can't change human nature....humans have had sex since the begining of humans and will continue to do so....

And it IS responsible to have an abortion if you don't want to have a baby.
That's right. People are going to have sex, and nothing anybody can say or do will keep that from happening, so it is best to forget about abstinence as a viable option. Kids are not going to remember that lesson when the hormones rage. It makes a lot more sense to realize this and act accordingly than to bury your head in the sand and pretend that your kids don't have sex.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
They should choose to not have sex if they are not prepared to raise a child. A lot of these unplanned pregnancies are the result of people having sex outside of marriage. Acceptance of abortion is a byproduct of erosion of the family unit. People think of sexual relations as "recreational" and as one poster said - they don't think about the consequences. Then the lady gets pregnant - the man(or boy!) runs in the opposite direction and the lady is left to face a frightening future by herself. I can understand that this fear may lead her to choose abortion as a way to end what now must seem like a nightmare.

The whole predicament however is the end result of a set of decisons informed by a society that is breaking down. We have lost our moral guardrails. Sexual immorality has become acceptable. Children become pregnant and instead of this raising alarms about what has broken down in the family that causes this - it is written off as "kids are going to do that anyway - lets just throw them condoms and hope for the best". This is the wrong approach - it has proven to be a failed strategy. Every baby that is "aborted" is a tragedy that society as a whole has created. To end the tragedy of abortions we need to rebuild our moral guardrails, teach children that marriage and family are sacred, that sex is not a "play activity" and we need a return to people owning their decisions and being accountable for them.
Whether you like it or not, kids are going to have sex and lie to their parents about it. How would you propose to change "moral guardrails?" I can't see how you can teach kids that family is sacred when there is a 50/50 chance that their parents are divorced. I see about the same chance of convincing kids that sex is not a "play activity" as my chances with the MegaMillions jackpot.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:04 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
As a taxpayer, I refuse for my taxes to pay for you to be able to punish women for having sex you don't approve of.
Eh?

I guess you don't get the idea of the ultrasound or counseling either *sigh* Oh well, you twist it whatever way makes you feel better. I see a woman who wants to kill a fetus (a being that is in no fundamental way different from a newborn baby) and you complaining that she shouldn't have to be bothered with an ultrasound or a single counseling session. Moving on

Old 03-29-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Eh?

I guess you don't get the idea of the ultrasound or counseling either *sigh* Oh well, you twist it whatever way makes you feel better. I see a woman who wants to kill a fetus (a being that is in no fundamental way different from a newborn baby) and you complaining that she shouldn't have to be bothered with an ultrasound or a single counseling session. Moving on
You enjoy that moving on thing. The woman on question already knows what an abortion is and has already anguished with her decision. Your ultrasound and counseling session just furthers her pain, cost her time and money and accomplishes nothing but making you feel like you did something for her. (She'll still get the abortion.)

Old 03-29-2012, 01:10 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Your point? Yes, welfare and assistance of all kinds are there for the woman to draw upon if she needs it.
And the Repugs would do anything to get rid of those social programs - all while telling women they MUST have a baby, even if they can't afford it or don't want it. As I've said many times before, they only care about fetuses but living children be damned.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:14 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
They should choose to not have sex if they are not prepared to raise a child.
Keep dreaming... then come back to comment when you've woken up, and try giving us some solutions based on reality for a change.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:18 PM

258 posts, read 160,096 times
Quote:
Maybe they should, but we all know they wont....

Old 03-29-2012, 01:24 PM

168 posts, read 142,907 times
Quote:

Do not drive unless you are prepared to have a wreck.

Do not eat greasy foods unless you are prepared to have a heart attack.

Do not go swimming unless you are prepared to drown.

Is that what you're saying? Because, like those activities, there are precautions that can be taken to prevent them from happening. Like all activities, accidents happen.

Nice OP btw. Pro-death. Finally someone understands that I want EVERYONE to get an abortion. No more babies ever.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:37 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
Quote:
You enjoy that moving on thing. The woman on question already knows what an abortion is and has already anguished with her decision. Your ultrasound and counseling session just furthers her pain, cost her time and money and accomplishes nothing but making you feel like you did something for her. (She'll still get the abortion.)
Assumptions, assumptions.

Well at least this is a step away from the whole "You're doing it just punish women!" thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
And the Repugs would do anything to get rid of those social programs - all while telling women they MUST have a baby, even if they can't afford it or don't want it. As I've said many times before, they only care about fetuses but living children be damned.
There is certainly some truth to this. They need to make up their minds just what they care about. And if you (yes, mensaguy, general "you" as a taxpayer) aren't willing to pay for something (i.e, better access to birth control and education to help prevent abortion from ever being a thought), you must not care all that much about it. While I don't think it wise to think of it so simply as "People are going to be sexually irresponsible, you can't stop it!", conservatives must realize that the norm today is not what it used to be. As the human race evolves (or "changes", if the word "evolves" is too scary for 'em), we should adapt our responses to this ever-changing world.

Regardless, I know what I care about, and I'm at least willing to put my share of the money down to make it happen.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:41 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Kids are not going to remember that lesson when the hormones rage.
An entirely unqualified assertion. There are plenty of kids who practice abstinence until marriage. It isn't some extremely hard thing to do - it does require education, commitment, and a strong moral foundation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies