Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Concerning abortion - are you pro-life or pro-death?
Pro-life 70 44.30%
Pro-death 66 41.77%
No opinion 22 13.92%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 11:29 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post

Pro-lifers are always trying to put road blocks up when it comes to educating children about sex and birth control...
Not true -I and a great many other people support educating children about abstinence - which is the most effective type of birth control.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:32 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Concerning abortion - are you pro-life or are you pro-death?
Both.

Quote:

The problem is unwanted pregnancies...
I am glad that you and I agree on something.

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Quote:
Why are you summarily dismissing the only solution proven to work every time it is used?
Probably becasue there has never been a time in human history when people weren't having sex since it's the driving force in our lives.. It's little details that trip you up.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I tell people who want abortion banned to show me a civilized country where abortion is banned, yet abortion rates are quite low. If they can, I will have to think about getting on their side. However, the country can't be a strict Islamic one like Saudi Arabia, since people there aren't allowed to practice Christianity. They never can name a country.
How come you are asking for an example but in the same sentence put limitations on the examples that you will accept?

Old 04-02-2012, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Probably becasue there has never been a time in human history when people weren't having sex since it's the driving force in our lives.. It's little details that trip you up.
Speak for yourself. Quite frankly, I feel sad for someone whose life motivation is sex.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:45 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
How come you are asking for an example but in the same sentence put limitations on the examples that you will accept?
Because people like you, assuming you're a Christian, would not be allowed to practice your religion while enjoying living in a near zero abortion atmosphere.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:47 PM

Quote:
What counts is the woman who is pregnant and what SHE thinks.
You sound so self-righteous and sure, especially when you use the "this concerns only a woman's body" defense. That is blatantly false - there is another body involved also(the baby).

What is really odd is that you seem to think that only men are opposed to abortions and that all women think like you do. How do you explain pro-life women who are affirmatively against abortion?

Old 04-02-2012, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Because people like you, assuming you're a Christian, would not be allowed to practice your religion while enjoying living in a near zero abortion atmosphere.
Why would you think I would want to move to Saudi Arabia?

Old 04-02-2012, 11:49 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Not true -I and a great many other people support educating children about abstinence - which is the most effective type of birth control.
Let's read Annie's post again, since you clearly missed her point: "Pro-lifers are always trying to put road blocks up when it comes to educating children about sex and birth control..."

Nowhere in any realm of logical reasoning does "abstinence education" equal sex and birth control education... because we all (those of us with any working knowledge of this issue) know abstinence education is merely wishful thinking, and what REALLY works is teaching people how to protect themselves when they do have sex. And they will have sex, at least a high percentage of them, before the age of 18ish and/or before marriage.

So, do you support teaching about actual birth control in schools? I could post a zillion links and studies supporting that abstinence education is highly ineffective, when it comes to reducing teen pregnancy and STD rates - hence the reason both approaches need to be taught, unless you're okay with supporting all the unwanted pregnancies that result from abstinence-only curricula. Did you know teen pregnancy rates have dropped in recent years, and that over 80% of teens (as opposed to 30-40% in my generation) now use condoms during their first sexual encounter? I'll have to dig up the article where I read that, but I found it to be quite interesting! Especially since people like you love to say "things are going to hell in a handbasket," while failing to realize this situation has actually improved... as we're introducing more comprehensive sexual education & access to BC these days. Logic and statistics be damned, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies