Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Concerning abortion - are you pro-life or pro-death?
Pro-life 70 44.30%
Pro-death 66 41.77%
No opinion 22 13.92%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 07:00 AM

16,661 posts, read 15,654,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
They have the oppurtunity to not have a child when they decide to pull down their pants.

Do you really believe that this is a good argument? Because if you do, then you must also believe that all our laws shoud be overturned and we should have an anarchist society.
History has also shown humanity that people ARE going to have sex. There is absolutely nothing you can do that will make such a basic urge go away. Given that reality, the question really is how do we deal with that? Telling 19 year old kids not to have sex is wasted energy.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
So what?

Is banning abortion going to save women's lives?

Ummmm......NO.
Banning abortion would cause more women to die as a result of alternatives to clean, clinic-performed abortions by medical professionals. Having abortions would not stop.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
1. There's no such thing as something being "wrong for" one person but not another (I understand that some people use this phrase to indicate that some choices are better suited for some people than for others; that doesn't affect the morality of any particular case, however). If something's justified, it's justified. If it's wrong, it's wrong.

{snip}
Sure there is. I have no interest in guns, hunting or fishing. I think it would be wrong for me to have guns in my house. Other people feel unsafe without one. Owning a gun would be wrong for me, but not for somebody else. I find the idea of hunting or fishing distasteful. Other people think it is justified. I think it is wrong. (BTW, I would never impose my views on a fisherman or hunter.)

Old 04-05-2012, 09:33 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
[quote=Vic 2.0;23717560]My action? When did I do any of this?

I'm sorry, I guess I assumed you were republican and vote against a NHS or public health option. I assumed you would vote against allowing pre existing medical coverage like most republican representatives are doing as we speak.
If I'm wrong I apologize.
It's nice to see you back health care for everyone. I was addressing the pro lifers that have no problem being pro death when it comes to people outside ones womb.
If you are truly pro life and always take a pro life stance in all areas then you are not a hypocrite. You are a rare find and it's nice to see. You are the only one who answered this. Usually no pro lifers step up when I ask why they don't support other pro life measures.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:57 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Banning abortion would cause more women to die as a result of alternatives to clean, clinic-performed abortions by medical professionals. Having abortions would not stop.
But Anti-choicers don't care if women die, they love the idea that the woman will be punished for having the sex they wish they had!

AND, remember, that wealthy women will have no problem getting abortions whether they're legal or not so it is a bully attack on poor women.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:18 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,335,421 times
Quote:
Using this logic - the police should not hunt down serial killers - after all those who believe that the serial killers shouldn't kill people should "confine what they believe to their own lives".
Certainly hope your obtuseness is deliberate....

Not going to waste my time responding to specious arguments...

Old 04-05-2012, 06:14 PM

875 posts, read 1,660,850 times
Quote:
They have the oppurtunity to not have a child when they decide to pull down their pants.

Do you really believe that this is a good argument? Because if you do, then you must also believe that all our laws shoud be overturned and we should have an anarchist society.
My point to you is that people are going to live their lives how they want to live it and there is nothing you or the people like you can do about it. Everyone is not like you and that is something that you HAVE to accept weather you like it or not.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:44 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Sure there is. I have no interest in guns, hunting or fishing. I think it would be wrong for me to have guns in my house. Other people feel unsafe without one. Owning a gun would be wrong for me, but not for somebody else. I find the idea of hunting or fishing distasteful. Other people think it is justified. I think it is wrong. (BTW, I would never impose my views on a fisherman or hunter.)
I'm not talking about the fact that something can be the right decision in one situation and the wrong one in another. That's an entirely different conversation.

I'm saying that in any specific event, a particular behavior is either justifiable or wrong. Equating morality with the subjective opinions of it sets us up to believe that there is no such thing as right or wrong, because surely every wrong behavior has at least one person to support it. They could argue that "X may be wrong for you, but it's right for me" no matter how horrible the misdeed, and you would have no way to argue.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:49 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Using this logic - the police should not hunt down serial killers - after all those who believe that the serial killers shouldn't kill people should "confine what they believe to their own lives".
Your thinking is so profoundly wrong because an unborn baby is so far from the same as people who are murdered. You are in sore need to wake up and realize how severely wrong you are.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:57 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
(to Harrier) Your thinking is so profoundly wrong because an unborn baby is so far from the same as people who are murdered. You are in sore need to wake up and realize how severely wrong you are.
His point was that if you can suggest that one person keep their beliefs on right and wrong to themselves, there is hypocrisy in ever telling someone else they are wrong. And he's correct on that. Either people have the right to speak out against things they disagree with, or they don't. You shouldn't pick and choose which opinions should be silenced and which should be heard.

And what is it, exactly, that makes murdering a person who has been born different from killing someone who hasn't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies