Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Concerning abortion - are you pro-life or pro-death?
Pro-life 70 44.30%
Pro-death 66 41.77%
No opinion 22 13.92%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 12:35 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,602,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
Pro death is the only way to go, I hate life
That's sort of my point. Abortion sort of puts an end to all the rest of the crap republicans always beach about. Welfare moms, health care for all, pre existing condition Obamacare. You'd think the last thing they'd be was pro life!

Old 04-06-2012, 12:38 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,602,012 times
I have to go to sleep now, but you all answer those questions I posed and I'll look forward to reading those plans tomorrow morning.
I'm excited to hear the end to this pro life story.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:34 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,830,626 times

Old 04-06-2012, 01:37 AM

744 posts, read 811,759 times
I consider acorns trees thank you very much

Old 04-06-2012, 01:45 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,830,626 times
By that logic, I ate two entire chickens yesterday for breakfast.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:04 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Do you go on with the life saving, or does it stop with the fetus?
It most certainly shouldn't. We need a new approach to welfare and the like (bet we'll all be saying that until the end of time), but it definitely needs to be there for those in need. It's utterly nonsensical that so many "pro-lifers" focus on the sexual responsibility - let's face it - yes, the biological parents should have, when they talk of abortion being wrong. Abortion isn't wrong because of the sexual encounter that created a life. It's wrong because the act of abortion itself (of the fetus, who has its own neurological activity and independent heartbeat) is taking a life, no matter how insignificant we imagine that life to be.

Put quite simply, is it love that motivates them or is it power and greed (by not wanting to give a little extra to help these mothers out)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
You can't just start the plan with no end, you need to finish what you start, are you prepared to do that?
Hmmm... Words of wisdom, PoppySead

Old 04-06-2012, 04:16 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times

What is this?

Old 04-06-2012, 06:38 AM

744 posts, read 811,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post

What is this?
Dude, I am, eating please don't post up gross crap like that, u deserve to be slapped. Out of curiosity how late in the term was that baby aborted?

Old 04-06-2012, 07:25 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Ridiculous. My question was in response to someone who said to Harrier: "Your thinking is so profoundly wrong because an unborn baby is so far from the same as people who are murdered".

They made a claim, going so far as to say someone else was incorrect. I challenged it. Now you want to make your own claims ("Seriously? A fetus is not a someone") and have the nerve to call any disagreements thereof "personal belief". Well what do you think your opinion is?

My statement: We don't know (which is a heck of a lot better than just assuming or making standards you apparently can't even define). No personal belief necessary, and certainly none for you to blame alleged lack of validity on.

My question could be answered by anyone, who actually has an answer ready.

BTW, synonyms for "someone" include "organism" and "being". So yes, a fetus is a someone no matter how you look at it.

someone - definition of someone by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
I think my opinion is exactly that - my personal opinion (belief) and I made that very clear in my post to you.

Arguing that there is a difference between murdering an unborn baby and an actual person gives tacit agreement to the premise fetus = person (how can there be a murder without a person?), a premise with which I and others disagree. I can't answer your question, because, IMO, it is based on a faulty premise.

As to the dictionary definition of "someone:"
Quote:
Denotation is the specific, literal image, idea, concept, or object that a sign (http://classweb.gmu.edu/bhawk/101/semiotics/textsign.html - broken link) refers to.

Connotation is the figurative cultural assumptions that the image implies or suggests. It involves emotional overtones, subjective interpretation, socio-cultural values, and ideological assumptions.
The connotation of 'someone' in your original post was 'person', not 'organism' or 'being'.

Last edited by ray1945; 04-06-2012 at 08:12 AM..

Old 04-06-2012, 07:41 AM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
*sigh* Your questioncan only be answered by someone who shares your belief system. According to what I believe, your question is not valid - an embryo/fetus <20 wks is not a person, so there is no murder.

As much as you would like for it to be so, your personal beliefs do NOT trump mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
...which is why an embryo/fetus that dies in utero at or before 20 weeks gestation is called a miscarriage or spontaneous abortion, also why it will not receive a birth certificate (or official death certificate), only a certificate of fetal death.
One thing asked of medical examiners when called on to autopsy one of these very small bodies is whether there was air in the lungs. I think the legal position is that air in the lungs indicate that a breath had been taken, thus providing evidence of a live birth. Only then could a birth certificate be issued, a death certificate issued, or, under the right circumstances, a charge of murder be placed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies