Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2012, 06:45 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,374,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I actually would agree to this. IF insurance companies weren't allowed to charge such exorbitant amounts of money, IF they could not deny on pre-existing conditions, IF there were safety nets for the uninsured/underinsured.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 06:49 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,845,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
The first $2000 should ALWAYS come out of your own pocket to avoid abusing the system.
And if you don't have $2000????????????????????

Old 03-29-2012, 07:20 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,530,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
When my wife moved to the UK from the USA to live with me, she was eligible to use the NHS without having to pay a cent as she lived with me.
When she first came to the UK, she insisted on getting a private health insurance as she had been told in the USA how awful the NHS was. She got a private platinum health policy which covered absolutely everything and NO co pays. It also paid my wife around $90 for everyday that she spent in a National Health Hospital if she decided to use the NHS for treatment instead of the Private health insurance... paid directly into her bank....... This cost her approx $80.00 per month......... we could have the same here if we had a UHC but the USA is dictated to by huge Insurance companies.
Democrats want this but the south because of racism keeps voting GOP.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:27 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,530,237 times
I wish republicans running for office had to tell the truth. If they spoke like the op which is what they believe people might wake up.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:33 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Keyword is VOLUNTARILY. Now, how about those who are uninsured/under-insured involuntarily?
This study was about the voluntarily uninsured. We hear a lot about these people here on CD; I thought I'd introduce some facts. It's no surprise to me who they are.

The article did address the involuntarily uninsured, but its main focus was on the other group.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:34 AM

23,972 posts, read 15,075,178 times
DH had a small company that installed wires in office buildings. His employees were mostly young men in their late 20's early 30's. Most had families. DH provided good health insurance. One of the guys decided to start his own business doing the same thing. He took some friends with him for 1 dollar an hour more. So for $160 dollars a month bigger paycheck, these idiots gave up health insurance. They said if they had a problem, they could go to the county for help.

We already pay for them.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:35 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I'm 61 years old and lost my HI during the crash 4 years ago, I work 2 jobs now and still can't get affordable HC, the lowest quote I can get in my area is $1600. a month and that's more than I make. Of course everything at my age is pre-existing. I'm trying to hang on long enough to get Medicare, at least it will be something and I've paid into that for over 40 years.

I don't live large, I live rural in a MH like one poster suggested...sigh I already do live in a MH.

The most pathetic thing is both of my jobs are part time "as needed" AT A HOSPITAL and I'm not eligable for HI because I don't have enough guarenteed hours at work. Some months I only clear $300 a month some I'll make almost $1000.

I've called every insurance company that's available in my state and most won't even give me a quote due to my age and pre-existing conditions.
I'm all for finding a solution to this type of problem. I'm not willing to bend the Constitution to get it, though. We need smart healthcare reform. Not political pandering and backroom deals pushed by a single party.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
But you don't think you might need medical treatment one day?
You said you might recieve SS one day if you are lucky.... so if you die before you get to recieve SS.. your payments will not be for you, yet you do not want a UHC where no matter how you look at it, your payments will be for you as you or your family will need to see a Doctor or get some kind of treatment during your life.
This is what i don't understand when i hear people decrying a UHC with this...
"i'm not paying for other people B/S........ YOU already do pay for other people but in the least efficiant way and actually you are in many ways paying twice........ private insurance and for other people... YOU don't even get the benefit of your tax dollars that pay for non payers to get health cover........... Stupid or what???????????????
The Constitution of the United States of America never occurs to you does it?

I am all for healthcare reform. Obamacare is NOT the answer.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
This is exactly the attitude that is causing a huge part of the problem. If you are a grunt making minimum wage but getting primo health insurance (which has a value far higher than your actual salary) then you can say "let them eat cake" when it comes to he self employed and small business owners who had been getting the shaft.

If I could wave a magic wand I would get employers OUT of the business of providing health insurance entirely. Pay the folks that money that had been contributed toward their health plan. People can go out and get their own coverage. Does the term "personal responsibility" ring a bell? Then it can be taxed, subject to FICA and Medicare, and they won't be able to get even half the coverage they had under their employer's plan. Maybe THEN the sleeping masses will wake up and understand what the problem is.
Basically you want to rob everyone of their healthcare insurance so that politicians can make a better case for Universal Healthcare paid for by taxpayers. How nice of you! Thankfully you'll never get your wish.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:42 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times
When I was on COBRA my health insurance cost me 500 dollars per month. I wouldn't call that "affordable" .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies