Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2012, 02:26 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,183,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
My grandfather delivered all seven of his own children. When my father was born, in Montana, on January 16th, it took three months before they could get into town to register his birth. I would say, there probably wasn't a "health professional" for a couple of hundred miles or so in either direction.

Nobody went to doctors back then. Even if you were seriously injured, you took care of it yourself or you died.

20yrsinBranson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
And that was so much better, wasn't it?
Oh yes. And then the surviving spouse had to either sell everything to be able to raise the kids or marry someone else. SO much better, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
Here's the problem right here. Money and profit margins should not even be in the equation when we're talking about health care. But that's "compassionate conservatism" for you. We have plenty of money to bomb and occupy countries in the name of corporate interests, but we can't provide a basic human right.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
Yes. It's the same concept as not everyone should be a home owner. I think these folks need more Dave Ramsey in their lives, for starters.
I'll pose this question to you:

What happens if the rug is pulled out from under the family's feet AFTER all of their careful planning and scheduled childbirths?

Old 03-29-2012, 02:41 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,356,462 times
I agree with the OP.

You would be surprised how many folks on Medicaid have iphones, cable, drink regularly, etc. That adds up, people.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:42 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,046,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'll pose this question to you:

What happens if the rug is pulled out from under the family's feet AFTER all of their careful planning and scheduled childbirths?
It's hard for me personally to answer this question without first having an answer to: "How will the perpetually unemployed and other losers contribute to the a universal healthcare system if they don't pay taxes to begin with?"

Bad luck sucks. No doubt about it. But what's worse to me are the losers of this nation who would continue to suck on the Government Teat EVEN IF WE HAD UHC.

You have to tend to the shelves if you want to sell anything.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:59 PM

8,582 posts, read 9,067,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Not second-guessing you....but it sounds like you decided to get insurance after you had your medical procedures? Maybe you can clarify?

I'm all for reforming the system. But if buying insurance after the fact is a routine occurrence in America, then no wonder costs are higher. Would you insure for the same price someone you knew to be a higher risk factor than a person that didn't carry the same known risk? My guess is that you probably wouldn't.
Let me give you an example of a bad situation. Wife gets sick, her employer provides the insurance for husband and wife. 4 years later she is terminated, loses insurance because of illness. Husband picks up insurance at his work at a 400% increase in premium, wife is covered with her illness because of employer provided group coverage without a lapse in coverage. Husbands company goes bankrupt. Husband can not pick up COBRA Coverage to bridge the gap because the host company no longer exists. No independent insurance company will cover the ill wife, NONE. Husbands new job does not provide group coverage. Now, do you see?

Old 03-29-2012, 03:07 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,288,414 times
Quote:
I agree with the OP.

You would be surprised how many folks on Medicaid have iphones, cable, drink regularly, etc. That adds up, people.
I have been a public health nurse, and also a visiting nurse. (There is a difference.) In any event, I've been in a lot of people's homes. I did not see a lot of this "conspicuous consumption" that many people, who do not have my experiences, claim to know about, especially with people on Medicaid. You should see some of the crap-holes these people live in! Back when I was a PHN, and there were no cell phones, a lot of these people didn't even have land lines. Or if they did, you'd call one day and find out the phone had been disconnected.

Now we did talk about the "voluntarily uninsured". I posted some stats last night about these folks, primarily single young childless men. They might have all those toys and then some. They're the ones the "individual mandate" would be good for.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:08 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,307,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
With a Govt. funded food system a small tax is paid and that covers ALL food for everyone from before birth until the grave.

With a Govt. funded housing system a small tax is paid and that covers ALL housing for everyone from before birth until the grave.

With a Govt. funded education system a small tax is paid and that covers ALL education for everyone from before birth until the grave.

With a Govt. funded clothing system a small tax is paid and that covers ALL clothing for everyone from before birth until the grave.

With a Govt. funded entertainment system a small tax is paid and that covers ALL entertainment for everyone from before birth until the grave.

With a Govt. funded thought system a small tax is paid and that covers ALL thinking for everyone from before birth until the grave....

Another one with the Orwellian fantasy "what if" that does not exist anywhere in the world.

You all act as if there are no examples in the world to draw from to find solutions to the healthcare crisis in America.

Newsflash: There are other countries outside of our borders!!

Old 03-29-2012, 03:24 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,356,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I have been a public health nurse, and also a visiting nurse. (There is a difference.) In any event, I've been in a lot of people's homes. I did not see a lot of this "conspicuous consumption" that many people, who do not have my experiences, claim to know about, especially with people on Medicaid. You should see some of the crap-holes these people live in! Back when I was a PHN, and there were no cell phones, a lot of these people didn't even have land lines. Or if they did, you'd call one day and find out the phone had been disconnected.

Now we did talk about the "voluntarily uninsured". I posted some stats last night about these folks, primarily single young childless men. They might have all those toys and then some. They're the ones the "individual mandate" would be good for.
I said there are many folks who do have these things on Medicaid. You mentioned the few you saw who did not.
Let it be known that there is plenty, and I mean plenty, of irrational spending and purchases going on from these people.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:40 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,288,414 times
Quote:
I said there are many folks who do have these things on Medicaid. You mentioned the few you saw who did not.
Let it be known that there is plenty, and I mean plenty, of irrational spending and purchases going on from these people.
You are calling me a liar. I do not appreciate that. What is YOUR experience with people on Medicaid? Have you been in their homes? Taken an inventory of their posessions. "these people", LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies