Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 01:30 AM

4,919 posts, read 4,833,325 times

Advertisements

It’s an Obama World… Gay Flag Flies at Afghan Base But the Christian Cross Is Banned

Quote:
The Pentagon forced an Army post in Afghanistan to remove a cross on its worship tent. It’s offensive to liberal atheists.
The Politico reported:

A large cross that had been prominently displayed outside a chapel on an isolated military base in northern Afghanistan was taken down last week, prompting outrage from some American service members stationed there.

“We are here away from our families, and the chapel is the one place that feels like home,” a service member at Camp Marmal told POLITICO. “With the cross on the outside, it is a constant reminder for all of us that Jesus is here for us.”

“Not having it there is really upsetting,” added another. “I walk by the chapel daily on the way to chow and the gym, and seeing the cross is a daily reminder of my faith and what Jesus accomplished for me. It is daily inspiration and motivation for me to acknowledge my faith and stay on the right path.”

Camp Marmal is a German base that hosts NATO forces. The interfaith chapel in question is supervised by the U.S. Army.

The soldiers said they found great comfort in the chapel — and the cross visible outside. “Sometimes the Church and the ability to openly express religious views ultimately gets people through the deployments over here,” one told POLITICO by email.

The service member said he asked the base chaplain, a military officer, what had happened to the cross. “I had to take it down,” said the chaplain, according to the solider, without further explanation.

Pentagon spokesperson Commander William Speaks confirmed the cross was removed and told POLITICO, “The removal was, in fact, in accordance with Army regulations” and pointed out that the Army chaplain manual prohibits permanent display of religious symbols.

“Distinctive religious symbols, such as crosses… will not be affixed or displayed permanently on the chapel interior, exterior or grounds,” reads the manual.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012...oss-is-banned/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 01:33 AM

29,094 posts, read 25,999,446 times
Why are they flying the gay flag - and how do we know someone didn't take "creative liberties" with the photograph(i.e. the flag)?

Old 03-29-2012, 01:38 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,279,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
It’s an Obama World… Gay Flag Flies at Afghan Base But the Christian Cross Is Banned

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012...oss-is-banned/
I'm sure the tolerant Muslims of Afghanistan will give gays the welcome they want.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:41 AM

4,919 posts, read 4,833,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Why are they flying the gay flag - and how do we know someone didn't take "creative liberties" with the photograph(i.e. the flag)?
Is it too difficult for you to click on links in an article?

Here .. allow me:
Gay Pride Flag Raised Over U.S. Military Base in Afghanistan | Gay Blog | Gay News

Old 03-29-2012, 02:02 AM

29,094 posts, read 25,999,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
Is it too difficult for you to click on links in an article?

Here .. allow me:
Gay Pride Flag Raised Over U.S. Military Base in Afghanistan | Gay Blog | Gay News
You forgot to click on the link for me...

Old 03-29-2012, 05:59 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,197,020 times
The cross represents christianity. The gay rights movement or being gay isn't a religion......Was that difficult?

Old 03-29-2012, 06:08 AM

25,943 posts, read 22,098,104 times
I don't believe the photograph is the real deal. Do you notice how drab the surroundings are? Something like that would not be tolerated for even a moment. There is a reason why it is drab and that is for the protection of the troops. I would think this would anger even the homosexual population since it would show that the homosexual agenda was more important than the safety of the troops but then, wouldn't that be a reason to question their being in the military in the first place?

Old 03-29-2012, 06:10 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,343,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
The cross represents christianity. The gay rights movement or being gay isn't a religion......Was that difficult?
Ahhhh....freedom of religion is great. Muslims can build a mosque at ground zero but soldiers can't display a cross on a chapel.

Do you happen to be a liberal?

Old 03-29-2012, 06:30 AM

754 posts, read 1,739,065 times
That doesn't even look real.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:46 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,166,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
No, but in all honesty, if having a cross is offensive to some, and it's removed, then wouldn't the same criteria apply to the gay flag. Some may find it offensive, shouldn't it be removed?

Hey, if it's good for the goose, it's good for the gander.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies