Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 12:10 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times

Advertisements

I'm just wondering if you practice what you preach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 12:18 PM

20,718 posts, read 19,360,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I'm just wondering if you practice what you preach?
Well I have read about history and economics for more than 20 yeas along with going to school for it(Mun, Quesnay, Smith, Keynes, Henry George, Ricardo, J. S. Mill, Freidman, Marx etc). Is that what you mean or that I avoided the housing bubble fall out because I agreed with Hyman Minsky and the post Keynesians on that issue?

If you want to be manipulated by both the politicians and the financial media with ignorance and lies be my guest. I just offered you something else. Take it or leave it. Go ahead and try an debunk it. If you do try to debunk it, you will probably become among the greatest of disciples. That is usually how it works. Do you really think the mainstream thinking on this issue is the truth given how full of beans they have been? I'd listen for farts.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:25 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
That didn't answer my question. I don't really care about you vast reading ability. My kids hold their own on the kindle too and they are smart enough to know that you don't pay off a credit card with another one. Are you?

Old 03-29-2012, 12:27 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
We are past bankrupt now.. we are living a lie of prosperity.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
That didn't answer my question. I don't really care about you vast reading ability. My kids hold their own on the kindle too and they are smart enough to know that you don't pay off a credit card with another one. Are you?

I'll answer your question but with another question. Would you rather have me owe you a $100 or someone you know? Or would you rather have a $100 worth in treasuries? That is what happens when you pay a credit card. You exchange your debt to the bank and give them government IOUs otherwise known as Notes.

Bank Note - Dictionary Definition of Bank Note

Your money says "Note" which is another word for "debt". (that is everything but coins because they used to be actual specie or the very commodity used as money and thus were not "debt" per se, but still a tool of credit)

As I said, talking about personal finances in comparison is pretty much an admission you have no education in economics at all.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Oh how silly. They have nothing but money. Its a command economy and everyone works for da guberment debt. When Insoc owes you, you have it made.

They want to help housing go up in price. Fuel prices going up in have already benefited millions. Those who had a mere $20 in their fuel tanks now have $30 worth in their tanks. Anyone with a full gas tank is richer with rising fuel prices.
Richer? their wallets are empty. What they are doing is trying to keep foreclosures from happening. They are trying to keep people paying on their mortgages instead of walking away.

Many homes are selling for one third of the original mortgage. I know, I bought one and there are thousands that were sold for a fraction of the original mortgage owed to the banks.

Now they don't want another wave of mortgages coming, so they are taking less money from the original mortgage holder to retrieve that mortgage for a lower payback to the banks.. It is a mess plain and simple. We are far from being out of the woods on the mortgage crisis.. it is still here and many homes are sitting with the owners in them for years and not paying a penny to the banks.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Richer? their wallets are empty. What they are doing is trying to keep foreclosures from happening. They are trying to keep people paying on their mortgages instead of walking away.

Many homes are selling for one third of the original mortgage. I know, I bought one and there are thousands that were sold for a fraction of the original mortgage owed to the banks.

Now they don't want another wave of mortgages coming, so they are taking less money from the original mortgage holder to retrieve that mortgage for a lower payback to the banks.. It is a mess plain and simple. We are far from being out of the woods on the mortgage crisis.. it is still here and many homes are sitting with the owners in them for years and not paying a penny to the banks.

I was being factitious.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
I was being factitious.
Fact is the dollar is losing value.. interest to savers is gone.. thus creating no money to spend in the economy.. reason why the stock exchange is high is people are putting more money in to make money.

Who knows what the businesses are squandering it on with all that investment money.

We are in lousy shape and it will get worse.

Wait till Obama gets done squandering the taxpayers money. Default when no one wants to take on American debt.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Fact is the dollar is losing value.. interest to savers is gone.. thus creating no money to spend in the economy.. reason why the stock exchange is high is people are putting more money in to make money.
Of course it will lose value. Deflating a currency is the very definition of a Depression. The problem is that the money supply increase is being aimed at asset inflation rather than capital and labor hence the asset inflation we are seeing. That means employment will evaporate as it has.

Quote:
Who knows what the businesses are squandering it on with all that investment money.

We are in lousy shape and it will get worse.

Wait till Obama gets done squandering the taxpayers money. Default when no one wants to take on American debt.
I agree that da guberment is squandering money but its hardly worse than ZIRP. What we needed were defaults and principle reduction along with labor tax reduction until we were positive monetary growth again.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:52 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
gwynedd1 - I understand the economics we are using even of some do not. Since the founding of the BanK of England, debt has become money.

IMHO the banks should remortgage the houses at their current value and take the losses themselves. The remortgage should only apply to the primary residence. The speculators and flippers should take their own losses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies