Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2012, 08:10 PM

10,567 posts, read 12,788,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUdom5 View Post
I don't know about that. What I do know:

• Blacks are seven times more likely than people of other races to commit murder, and eight times more likely to commit robbery.
• Blacks are seven times more likely to be in prison than whites. Hispanics are
three times more likely.

Blacks are arrested more frequently than whites because blacks commit more crimes than whites.
Is that ALL blacks you are talking about?....There are more poor blacks than poor whites...on that I agree...if it were the other way around...more whites would follow your statistical rule .

Old 04-03-2012, 08:30 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,876,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
I heard Trayvon's parents didn't find or get his body for three days despite the shooting. That is outrageous and how did that happen?
The parents knew he was missing the first night when he didn't come home and filed a missing person's report. He had been on his cell phone with his 16 year old girlfriend just before the shooting. However, he was tagged "Joe Doe" for 3 days in the morgue which is puzzling. He had a cell phone, but a police investigator explained that they can't just go through a cell phone log or look for photos or ID because the law requires a warrant. I realize that seems ridiculous, but I guess it's the same as searching your house.

Still, they had frantic parents looking for their son and had a "John Doe" matching Trayvon's description in the morgue. So I'm also puzzled. I think they wanted to perform tests for evidence before releasing his body to the parents. They showed a photo of his body to Trayvon's father for identification, but I don't know exactly when they were allowed to see him. I don't know why the police didn't go door-to-door asking people if they recognized the teenager, but maybe that's not standard police procedure. I'm not sure they could have found his father by an ID, if he had one, since Trayvon didn't have the same last name as the resident with whom he was staying. In any case, it must have been a terrible ordeal for his parents.

I heard a retired homicide investigator explain on MSNBC that it wasn't the fault of the police because of the required warrant, but my question is "Did the police ask for a warrant to check his cell phone?" Did they try to find his parents? I don't know the answers. They certainly had enough time to call the Chief of Police who contacted the State's Attorney who drove 50 miles to the scene on a Sunday evening before deciding to release Zimmerman without charges.

Last edited by justNancy; 04-03-2012 at 08:47 PM..

Old 04-03-2012, 08:41 PM

10,567 posts, read 12,788,089 times
Horrific to look at your dead sons face..It would utterly destroy me...a year or so back my older brother lost a son...My poor bother was literally sweating blood and the tears ran like rain..unbearable...makes me want to weep just thinking of it.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:46 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,943,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Horrific to look at your dead sons face..It would utterly destroy me...a year or so back my older brother lost a son...My poor bother was literally sweating blood and the tears ran like rain..unbearable...makes me want to weep just thinking of it.
I shed a few tears when I read this earlier:

Quote:
It was drizzling, and he asked Martin if they could go inside. When they were seated he pulled out a photo. It was Trayvon, dead at the scene - his eyes rolled back, a tear on his cheek, saliva coming from his mouth. "From that point, our nightmare," Martin said.

Trayvon Martin: Before the world heard the cries | Reuters

Old 04-03-2012, 08:50 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,967,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
However, he was tagged "Joe Doe" for 3 days in the morgue which is puzzling.
I'm sorry to have to correct you on this point, but facts are facts. The police notified the parents that morning and even brought a chaplain with them. When you add in the detective's desire to arrest Zimmerman that the officers of the Department appear to be less and less incompetent.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8320UK20120403

Old 04-03-2012, 08:53 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,876,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divine Shadow View Post
where's the skittles and ice tea? it wasn't found at the scene.
Are you sure of this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divine Shadow View Post
and why is everyone dismissing the 13 year old dog walker (Austin Brown) saying that it was zimmerman on the bottom (the guy in red on the bottom). he's an actual eyewitness that stepped forward. don't forget about John, another eyewitness that said zimmerman was on the bottom yelling for help. there are other witnesses in the houses that didn't see anything but are sure they heard a young man screaming for help (zimmerman has a girly voice).
I don't think anyone is dismissing eyewitness testimony (although we haven't heard any under oath in a courtroom yet) However, people just want to know why he followed someone in the dark and what happened before he shot him. If I were satisfied that a full police investigation took place and Zimmerman was acting in self defense, then I wouldn't be posting about this so much. However, as I wrote several times, why would a man with, as you put it, a girly voice, who can't fight off a teenager 100 pounds lighter chase after him? Why would Martin be running in the opposite direction and decide "Oh, I think I'll just turn around and attack this guy and kill him." People on City-Data can call me stupid all they want, but common sense tells me something just isn't right with his story. Chris Serino, the lead investigator felt the same way the night of the shooting.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:55 PM

19,780 posts, read 12,024,057 times
Quote:
The parents knew he was missing the first night when he didn't come home and filed a missing person's report. He had been on his cell phone with his 16 year old girlfriend just before the shooting. However, he was tagged "Joe Doe" for 3 days in the morgue which is puzzling. He had a cell phone, but a police investigator explained that they can't just go through a cell phone log or look for photos or ID because the law requires a warrant. I realize that seems ridiculous, but I guess it's the same as searching your house.

Still, they had frantic parents looking for their son and had a "John Doe" matching Trayvon's description in the morgue. So I'm also puzzled. I think they wanted to perform tests for evidence before releasing his body to the parents. They showed a photo of his body to Trayvon's father for identification, but I don't know exactly when they were allowed to see him. I don't know why the police didn't go door-to-door asking people if they recognized the teenager, but maybe that's not standard police procedure. I'm not sure they could have found his father by an ID, if he had one, since Trayvon didn't have the same last name as the resident with whom he was staying. In any case, it must have been a terrible ordeal for his parents.

I heard a retired homicide investigator explain on MSNBC that it wasn't the fault of the police because of the required warrant, but my question is "Did the police ask for a warrant to check his cell phone?" Did they try to find his parents? I don't know the answers.
Rumors abound in Trayvon Martin case, but here are facts

"Not true, according to the medical examiner, it picked up the body at the scene just after 10 pm Feb. 26 and notified a Fort Lauderdale funeral home 39 hours later that the body was ready. The funeral home, Roy Mizell and Kurtz, did not pick up the body for an additional 24 hours, the medical examiner reported."

I'm not sure where you got your information that his body sat tagged in a morgue for 3 days as a John Doe but people repeating what they "heard" with no source to back it up is how misinformation keeps getting spread.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:57 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,967,897 times
An interesting report on what the Martins were told by police according to Reuters
Investigator Chris Serino then took Martin to another room and told him Zimmerman's version of events.

Sanford police have stopped talking to reporters about the case, and Serino has never spoken publicly about his role in it, but here is how Martin recalls what Serino said: "He told me Zimmerman's story was that Zimmerman was of course following him and that Trayvon approached his vehicle, walked up to the car and asked Zimmerman, ‘Why are your following me?' Zimmerman then rolls his car windows down, tells Trayvon ‘I'm not following you.' He rolls his car windows up.

"Trayvon walks off. Zimmerman said he started running between the buildings. Zimmerman gets out of his car. He comes around the building. Trayvon is hiding behind the building, waiting on him. Trayvon approaches him and says, ‘What's your problem, homes?' Zimmerman says ‘I don't have a problem.'

"Zimmerman starts to reach into his pocket to get his cellphone, and at that point Trayvon attacked him. He says Trayvon hits him. He falls on the ground. Trayvon jumps on top of him, takes his left hand and covers Zimmerman's mouth and tells him to shut the F up and continues to pound on him.

"At that point Zimmerman is able to unholster his weapon and fire a shot, striking Trayvon in the chest. Trayvon falls on his back and says, 'You got me.'"
Trayvon Martin: Before the world heard the cries | Reuters

Old 04-03-2012, 08:58 PM

19,780 posts, read 12,024,057 times
Quote:
Are you sure of this? I don't think anyone is dismissing eyewitness testimony (although we haven't heard any under oath in a courtroom yet) However, people just want to know why he followed someone in the dark and what happened before he shot him. If I were satisfied that a full police investigation took place and Zimmerman was acting in self defense, then I wouldn't be posting about this so much. However, as I wrote several times, why would a man with, as you put it, a girly voice, who can't fight off a teenager 100 pounds lighter chase after him? Why would Martin be running in the opposite direction and decide "Oh, I think I'll just turn around and attack this guy and kill him." People on City-Data can call me stupid all they want, but common sense tells me something just isn't right with his story. Chris Serino, the lead investigator felt the same way the night of the shooting.
He was not 100 pounds lighter than gz...more misinformation.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:58 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,004,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
And ... we've only been hearing one story up until now.

Thus, the links I've posted.

As for the msnbc video, no thanks. After the editing debacle, I'll choose to get my news on this particular case from other sources.

Yes...the voice of the living participant, his father, his brother and a friend or two. As for ignoring the video, that's your loss; there is a map of the development and where certain events happened. That would have added greatly to your knowledge base regarding the story. Clearly some people
have no interest in learning more, having made up their minds. The rest of us seek answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies