Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2012, 07:50 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,749,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
The missing person report wasn't filed until the morning After tm was killed. His father wasn't worried the night of the killing bacause he thought t might have gone to a movie with his cousin.
And there lies the problem, not keeping track of your kids and assuming they are doing the right thing. My parents at 17 knew exactly where I was 99% of the time. Its called parental responsibility.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:54 AM

1,457 posts, read 2,027,339 times
That apology addresses the “Today” show’s failure to abridge accurately the conversation between Zimmerman and the dispatcher in this high-profile case. This is how the program portrayed a segment of that conversation:

Zimmerman: This guy looks like he’s up to no good. He looks black.
And here is how it actually went down:

Zimmerman: This guy looks like he’s up to no good. Or he’s on drugs or something. It’s raining and he’s just walking around, looking about.
Dispatcher: OK, and this guy — is he black, white or Hispanic?
Zimmerman: He looks black.

NBC issues apology on Zimmerman tape screw-up - Erik Wemple - The Washington Post

Old 04-04-2012, 08:10 AM

381 posts, read 506,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
That is the very reason there needs to be a trial. To determine if what actually transpired was grounds enough for Zimmerman to feel that his life was at risk and if he provoked an avoidable situation that placed either party's life at risk. Pretty elementary.
trial? no... investigation? yes...
this is a debate whether a person is innocent until proven guilty or guilty until proven innocent.

if an investigation doesn't support the shooter's story, then charges can be filed. if an investigation supports the shooter's story, then off to the next case. lack of evidence is not cause for a trial.

stand your ground does more good than harm. in other words, it saves more lives than there would be without it. a dead criminal eliminates repeat offenders. if martin did attack zimmerman, then he's the bad guy. if zimmerman intentionally sought after a black person to kill, then i hope the next black person is carrying a concealed weapon. that's what it's for.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:23 AM

20,707 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Thank you. I think Zimmerman is scum. I don't defend him in anyway. I believe he is the cause of all this. Doesn't change the "facts."

The criminal justice system and the law is just that. The law. Until I see and/or hear more, the law in this case was not broken. When someone, anyone, presents FACTS and/or evidence, Zimmerman was wrong, I say hang the jerk. No problem with it.

At the sometime, if you want it this way, you have to have it the other. No one has proved Zimmerman committed murder.

Beyond a reasonable doubt, not preponderance of the evidence...

Old 04-04-2012, 08:34 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,965,668 times
LOL - you are on City-Data where we point out, get emotionally involved, applaud, insert thumbs up and/or smiley sun-glassed emoticons over misspelled words, as you have seen herein. Your perspective as a police officer is valuable and appreciated, though. I doubt it will have a chilling effect on responses when people are "banging the drum" about Martin's parents' bad parenting, that Martin is a thug wanna-be, etc.

Also, in Florida, FYI, prior criminal history is inadmissible to show Zimmerman's prior tendencies, but is admissible under certain limited circumstances. See Florida Rules of Evidence 90.404(2) in part:

. . . .(2) OTHER CRIMES, WRONGS, OR ACTS.—
(a) Similar fact evidence of other crimes, wrongs, or acts is admissible when relevant to prove a material fact in issue, including, but not limited to, proof of motive, opportunity, intent, preparation, plan, knowledge, identity, or absence of mistake or accident, but it is inadmissible when the evidence is relevant solely to prove bad character or propensity. . . . .

This is also a jury instruction. Zimmerman's prior criminal history can also be used for impeachment purposes, but it's very limited in its use. I'd be interested in California's law on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
No. I don't scream. The criminal justice system says his prior anything doesn't count. Just like a rapist, who has been convicted 5 times for rape, his prior convictions cannot be used against him in court. Those are the facts of life and the facts of our criminal justice system.

I could care less about Zimmermans prior criminal record. Moreover, I could care less about Martin's prior criminal record, etc. None of its material to me.

Who did what, when, where, why is important to me. And, when you take your personal emotions/feelings out of it, YOU, nor anyone can, beyond a reasonable doubt, prove anything.

Keep banging the drums. You will continue to bang the drums of the loser...

Old 04-04-2012, 08:51 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,264,955 times
Two things amaze me

1. With the amount of misinformation from the media and activists, people are still arguing points made by the media and activists.

2. The ones that say there is not enough information presented and let's wait until the investigation is complete are thought to be in favor of Zimmerman and/or racists

Old 04-04-2012, 09:38 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
^^^HAHAHAHA.

Because they "Know what really went down!"

Southern Jim Crow era lynch mob with the colors reversed.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:42 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divine Shadow View Post
this is a debate whether a person is innocent until proven guilty or guilty until proven innocent.

if an investigation doesn't support the shooter's story, then charges can be filed. if an investigation supports the shooter's story, then off to the next case. lack of evidence is not cause for a trial.

stand your ground does more good than harm. in other words, it saves more lives than there would be without it. a dead criminal eliminates repeat offenders. if martin did attack zimmerman, then he's the bad guy. if zimmerman intentionally sought after a black person to kill, then i hope the next black person is carrying a concealed weapon. that's what it's for.
Do you need me to point out the fifty or more posts where I voice my opinion as to why there needs to be an INVESTIGATION??????

Common sense dictates that only after an arrest can a trial be held to examine, cross examine defense, and witnesses. Zimmerman has shown that he is lawyering up by hiring a second attorney, so it is fairly safe to assume that even his camp is expecting an arrest.

Quote:
ORLANDO - The legal adviser to George Zimmerman says he is anticipating taking his client's case to trial.
Craig Sonner spoke with FOX 13 on Tuesday and said that Zimmerman is in hiding, and even Sonner does not know where he is right now -- all their contact has been by phone.
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/news/state/zimmerman-lawyer-anticipates-case-going-to-trial-03272012 (broken link)

BTW...I'd get off that high horse of preaching the "Innocent until proven guilty" principle. It's accurate, but if you suppported it you would be challenging the Zimmerman supporters that have demonized a dead teenager that cannot speak in his own defense. Hypocrite!

Last edited by sickofnyc; 04-04-2012 at 10:09 AM..

Old 04-04-2012, 10:04 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divine Shadow View Post

Ok, I will bite. So tell me this, why does'nt the hold your ground law apply to Trayvon especially since he was the one being followed?

Old 04-04-2012, 10:09 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times
Post News, Trayvon Martin coverage: Republicans, many whites say 'enough'

A majority of Republicans say the media have gone overboard with their coverage of the Trayvon Martin slaying, and 43% of whites in general say enough is enough, according to a new survey by the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press.

The survey found that 56% of Republicans are fed up with the amount of coverage. By contrast, 25% of Democrats (and 33% of Democrats who identify themselves as white) surveyed say there has been too much coverage. The survey also found that 16% of blacks polled say they've had enough.

Trayvon Martin case: Many whites, Republicans say media coverage has been 'too much.' - latimes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies