Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2012, 12:35 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Most people here have not been accusing Zimmerman of racism, but that does not mean that if in fact, he did say something racist, he will not be held accountable. If anything, the police department has been accused of not giving the quality of investgation to Martin that they might have given to a white teen.

Ok, even I could agree to this

1,661 posts, read 1,393,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Now I don't know whether or not Zimmerman is a racist, but I do know this: one of the cornerstones of racism is making accusations and judgements of people based on superficial (non) evidence. Here we have a bunch of people making an accusation/judgement based on 5 phone calls, and no additional info about these calls, other than that the subject was black.

You guys are right about one thing: it's very telling.
This is called evidence.

639 posts, read 828,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badhornet View Post
OK, I will stay in my car
unlike Zimmerman, you have common sense

Old 04-04-2012, 12:36 PM

17,428 posts, read 14,650,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
The idea that white people are offended by being called "cracker" is ridiculous. I've yet to meet a white person who is offended by "cracker"; if anything, they find it funny.
The idea that black people are offended by being called "coon" is ridiculous. I've yet to meet a black person who is offended by "coon"; if anything, they find it funny.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:37 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,981,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Why? You don't like a thread in this forum that publicizes and talks about a particular issue? They have to be buried in a giant megathread where they will never be noticed?

Resistance is futile. All threads (and their headlines) will be assimilated....
I don't like a mega threads either, you lose track of what you'd like to reply to.

2,312 posts, read 3,665,685 times
[quote=Ford Beebe;23712006]
Quote:
Originally Posted by badhornet View Post

Perhaps a spelling course as well as a course in basic math would be a better use of your time than posting here.

Luv ya Ford!!!

10,581 posts, read 9,785,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Beebe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn
Look in the dictionary under "Lies, damned lies, and statistics", and you'll find a copy of this post. For good reason.
My numbers and facts are correct. You can choose to play ostrich, or accept them.
That sound you all just heard, was my comment passing cleanly over fordbeebe's head with room to spare.

17,428 posts, read 14,650,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I'm sorry that I have not seen any information proving that it was zimmerman screaming can you provide that information?
I have not seen any information proving it was Trayvon Martin screaming, can you provide that information?

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
All the major networks (with the exception of faux) had all initially skewed their coverage on this as a deliberate "whitey" does it again to black folks. This story is a story on its own merits, but - no - the major networks build it up into such proportions and then they have their feeding frenzy built upon the news they made up. We heard it all - A much bigger white man kills a little black boy and claims he was fighting for his life. The white man outweighs the little boy by 100 lbs! oi . . . Now that we have muddled thru their exaggerations and self-serving creations, we find that a hispanic man who is 170 lbs and standing at 5 foot 8 fought with a young black man who stood at 6 foot 2 and 160 lbs. Now, they can start reporting other things to "clear up" earlier mis-reportings (that they have created). They make sure people are outraged and they build up the activism and give them plenty of air time (to promote it - and create more news). They love to ask people how they "feel" about the situation and feed off of the emotions they stir up. They make sure they have a job, don't they.
Yeah, the coverage has been skewed horribly - in this case to a dangerous level.

I have no idea what the facts are because I don't trust the coverage.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:38 PM

180 posts, read 211,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Beebe View Post
Zimmerman called police to report five "suspicious persons." All were black. Is he a racist? Or is the fact all five were African-American a coincidence?

Using 20% as reported (the percentage of African-Americans in the complex), what are the chances that stopping 5 random people will yield all African-Americans?

Statistically, 0.032%.

Either Zimmerman has lotto luck, or he's a racist, or at least driven to action by racist feelings. I think it's the latter.
I have a couple points:

1) I believe Zimmerman SHOULD be arrested and this case should be played out in court.

2) However, I've heard mix reports on whether he is racist or not. Zimmerman was a mentor for two black children. If the rash of break-ins were committed by black youths, than I don't believe there is anything wrong with profiling.

3) The debate here should NOT be whether or not Zimmerman is a racist. It should be whether or not Zimmerman provoked Martin. It should also focus on the law itself. It doesn't make sense you are presumed innocent unless proven guilty. If there are no witnesses and the other party is dead, how can they give their side of the story?

4) If someone is following/chasing me late at night, I might get scared or even pissed off and hit the guy if he doesn't back off. The police dispatcher even told him stop following him. If you are the provoker, you can't just pull out your gun and shoot to kill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies