Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2012, 07:16 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMH2507 View Post
I believe if you looked at crime statistics you would find that many crimes, particularly property crimes, are perpetrated by 17 year olds.
That may be true but that is still no excuse to over-step one's boundaries and take the law into your own hands

Old 03-31-2012, 07:18 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,819,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
My question as well as many others is, why do black teens always look "suspicious" to non-blacks? A whiteboy in a hoodie should not looked at any differently than a blackboy so what really is the difference?
I agree whole heartedly. Do we know that Zimmerman would not have viewed a white boy suspiciously under similar situation? Just a question.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Perhaps because black teens have higher rates of violent crime? Just a thought. People aren't generally aren't wary of chinese teens wearing hoodies and that's for good reason.

But honestly I think it all depends on the place and time. A black kid wearing a "Howard" Hoodie on a college campus carrying books and a book bag don't come off as "theatening," While a team of black teens with black hoodies or the corner of a liquor store at 2 in the mornings in a black neighborhood don't exacttly appear innocent.

That is really more of an excuse than the rule. I have walked down the street with a three piece suit and white women clutch their purses, like I'm go to snatch her purse in a Brooks Brothers suit Sadly many time s I proably have more money on me then they make in a week

Old 03-31-2012, 07:21 AM

17,355 posts, read 14,613,136 times
Quote:
My question as well as many others is, why do black teens always look "suspicious" to non-blacks? A whiteboy in a hoodie should not looked at any differently than a blackboy so what really is the difference?
He looked "suspicious" to Zimmerman that night as there had been a rash of burglaries in that community in the last year - most committed by young, black males.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:23 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,819,235 times
Quote:
That may be true but that is still no excuse to over-step one's boundaries and take the law into your own hands
Absolutely correct. My response was to the person who said that 17 year olds should not be viewed as a threat.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:25 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
Quote:
That is really more of an excuse than the rule. I have walked down the street with a three piece suit and white women clutch their purses, like I'm go to snatch her purse in a Brooks Brothers suit Sadly many time s I proably have more money on me then they make in a week
Really? When I was younger in my teens I dressed in street clothes (baggy jeans, hoodies, timbs etc)..and now that I'm older (late 20's/early 30's) I dress like a grown up and the reception that I get from people of all walks of life is entirely different. Are there some folks who are ignorant because of skin color no matter what? Yeah. But the ignorant factor has been trimmed down by about 99%.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
He looked "suspicious" to Zimmerman that night as there had been a rash of burglaries in that community in the last year - most committed by young, black males.
According to his logic then all young black males are suspicous which in this world is called "Racial Profiling"
Therefore also using this logic I should go down to pretty much any bank and start following white males in suits, since there has been a rash of bank fraud and misrepresentations by them.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Really? When I was younger in my teens I dressed in street clothes (baggy jeans, hoodies, timbs etc)..and now that I'm older (late 20's/early 30's) I dress like a grown up and the reception that I get from people of all walks of life is entirely different. Are there some folks who are ignorant because of skin color no matter what? Yeah. But the ignorant factor has been trimmed down by about 99%.
But even zimmerman has proved that 1% can cost a life!

Old 03-31-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMH2507 View Post
I agree whole heartedly. Do we know that Zimmerman would not have viewed a white boy suspiciously under similar situation? Just a question.
That I will not speculate on but, It is known that he had probelms with blacks and he has a history of violence

Old 03-31-2012, 07:34 AM

17,355 posts, read 14,613,136 times
Quote:
According to his logic then all young black males are suspicous which in this world is called "Racial Profiling"
In that neighborhood - yes, a young black male would be suspicious.

If all those burglaries were committed by elderly Chinese women in babushkas, and I saw someone who matched the description I would say they were a suspcisious character too.

That would be common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies