Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 09:45 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times

Advertisements

Economic growth in the G7 countries is expected to be stronger through the first half of 2012, with Canada and the United States leading the charge while the eurozone continues to find its way back to stability, the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development said Thursday.

The OECD’s interim assessment forecasts the collective economies of the seven most powerful countries in the world to come in at 1.9% in each of the first two quarters of the year, an improvement on the 1.1% registered in the fourth quarter of 2011.

“Our forecast for the first half of 2012 points to robust growth in the United States and Canada, but much weaker activity in Europe, where the outlook remains fragile,” Pier Carlo Padoan, chief economist with the OECD, said in a presentation in Paris. “We may have stepped back from the edge of the cliff, but there’s still no room for complacency.”

The United States is forecasted to grow 2.9% and 2.8% respectively in the first two quarters on firming employment, stronger consumer confidence, a rebound in the stock markets and credit growth, while Canada’s economy will grow 2.5% in both quarters.

As well, Japan is expected to rebound strongly to 3.4% GDP growth in the first quarter on firmer industrial production and a weaker yen, although the second quarter is forecasted to pull back to 1.4% growth.

However, in Europe prospects remain weak. Germany, France and Italy are expected to post a collective weighted 0.4% decline in GDP growth in the first quarter, following a 0.8% drop in the previous quarter, before rebounding to modest 0.9% growth in the second quarter of 2012.

Source: OECD says Canada, U.S. leaving Europe behind in global recovery | Economy | News | Financial Post

Well that is some good news now only if the Eurozone can recover we can all can have a Robust world economy again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 09:53 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,676,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Economic growth in the G7 countries is expected to be stronger through the first half of 2012, with Canada and the United States leading the charge while the eurozone continues to find its way back to stability, the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development said Thursday.

The OECD’s interim assessment forecasts the collective economies of the seven most powerful countries in the world to come in at 1.9% in each of the first two quarters of the year, an improvement on the 1.1% registered in the fourth quarter of 2011.

“Our forecast for the first half of 2012 points to robust growth in the United States and Canada, but much weaker activity in Europe, where the outlook remains fragile,” Pier Carlo Padoan, chief economist with the OECD, said in a presentation in Paris. “We may have stepped back from the edge of the cliff, but there’s still no room for complacency.”

The United States is forecasted to grow 2.9% and 2.8% respectively in the first two quarters on firming employment, stronger consumer confidence, a rebound in the stock markets and credit growth, while Canada’s economy will grow 2.5% in both quarters.

As well, Japan is expected to rebound strongly to 3.4% GDP growth in the first quarter on firmer industrial production and a weaker yen, although the second quarter is forecasted to pull back to 1.4% growth.

However, in Europe prospects remain weak. Germany, France and Italy are expected to post a collective weighted 0.4% decline in GDP growth in the first quarter, following a 0.8% drop in the previous quarter, before rebounding to modest 0.9% growth in the second quarter of 2012.

Source: OECD says Canada, U.S. leaving Europe behind in global recovery | Economy | News | Financial Post

Well that is some good news now only if the Eurozone can recover we can all can have a Robust world economy again.
This is all "forecast" growth. Just stand by for the all to common phrase "was lower then the experts predicted" when we speak about the US economic growth in a few months.

In the United States, GDP growth increased to +0.7% in the fourth quarter of 2011, compared with +0.5% in the third quarter, but slowed in China to +2.0%, compared with +2.3% in the third quarter.

In Japan, economic growth decreased to -0.2 percent, following the strong rebound (+1.7 percent) in the third quarter. GDP fell by -0.3 percent in both the European Union and the euro area in the fourth quarter of 2011, the first fall since the second quarter of 2009.

Overall growth slows in G20, increases strongly in India: IMF - Hindustan Times

Old 03-29-2012, 10:04 AM

I think will also depend if China's economy has a Hard or Soft landing...right now it looks like they are heading for a Rather Rough Landing..which will have a negative effect on our Resource Producing North American economy also.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:04 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Basdcialy IMO the US econmy is just moving sideways ;really. Do not confuse market gains that refelct US compaies profit from world operations with US economy. Growth at 2% is about sideways. We still have done nothig about gwoing defcit spending.Unemployed numbers are higher but there are resons that include low particapation rate amoung workig age adults;with mnay just sitting down as its called not workig or looking.Yes europe has problems i antions ulike germany who made cuts i the 90's Bascailyl they did what we have done in wealth sharig much earlier . We just stared that i the mid 60's. Bascially too many dependent on too few does not work.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Basdcialy IMO the US econmy is just moving sideways ;really. Do not confuse market gains that refelct US compaies profit from world operations with US economy. Growth at 2% is about sideways. We still have done nothig about gwoing defcit spending.Unemployed numbers are higher but there are resons that include low particapation rate amoung workig age adults;with mnay just sitting down as its called not workig or looking.Yes europe has problems i antions ulike germany who made cuts i the 90's Bascailyl they did what we have done in wealth sharig much earlier . We just stared that i the mid 60's. Bascially too many dependent on too few does not work.
I think after the 2012 election no matter which party wins there will be massive cuts across the board to try and right the ship and get the economy back on track and cut out alot of the wasteful govronment spending and programs ...Well I hope who ever is elected does that...

Old 03-29-2012, 10:23 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
I think after the 2012 election no matter which party wins there will be massive cuts across the board to try and right the ship and get the economy back on track and cut out alot of the wasteful govronment spending and programs ...Well I hope who ever is elected does that...
If the government cuts back before full recovery... expect another economic debacle.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:26 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Really? So what are Canada and the U.S. doing differently? Oh, yes, they've not (yet) adopted austerity budgets.

"Austerity has led to slower growth and greater debt burdens in European countries, a precursor of what will happen here under Republican proposals.
Rather than falling, debt burdens are rising fastest in European countries that have enacted the most draconian austerity programs, according to the Associated Press. "

Marvin Meadors: Austere Austerity: Will the Republican Prescription for the Economy Work?

Old 03-29-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
If the government cuts back before full recovery... expect another economic debacle.
I think it depends on what is being cut I mean if Redundant Civil Servant jobs and Government Pension Plans and wages are cut then it would be a good thing IMO.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:30 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,518 times
So basically Europe is now self destructing faster than we are. Yay!

Old 03-29-2012, 10:31 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
I think it depends on what is being cut I mean if Redundant Civil Servant jobs and Government Pension Plans and wages are cut then it would be a good thing IMO.
It is still putting a person/family into unemployment. Won't be a problem if private sector was running full steam. But private sector won't hire if it doesn't find buyers. That is a fact ALWAYS omitted and purely on ideological grounds.

When you have millions of people out of job, would you prefer (between the two), that 200K are employed or 250K? Or let us take a look at an extreme case... lay off all (over 2 million) government employees tomorrow. Good idea?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies