Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 08:04 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,750,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Does this whet your appetite?

"After the birds' heads are pulled off and their feet removed, machines open them with a vertical incision and remove their guts. Contamination often occurs here, as the high-speed machines commonly rip open intestines, releasing feces into the birds' body cavities.

Once upon a time, US Department of Agriculture (Usda) inspectors had to condemn any bird with such fecal contamination. But about 30 years ago, the poultry industry convinced the Usda to reclassify feces so that it could continue to use these automatic eviscerators. Once a dangerous contaminant, feces are now classified as a "cosmetic blemish".

Journalist Scott Bronstein conducted interviews with nearly 100 Usda poultry inspectors from 37 plants. "Every week," he reports, "millions of chickens leaking yellow pus, stained by green feces, contaminated by harmful bacteria, or marred by lung and heart infections, cancerous tumours or skin conditions are shipped for sale to consumers."

Next, the chickens go to a massive refrigerated tank of water, where thousands of birds are communally cooled. The Government Accountability Project, a US whistleblower protection organisation, has said that the "water in these tanks has been aptly named 'fecal soup' for all the filth and bacteria floating around".

Air-chilling reduces the weight of a bird's carcass, but water-chilling causes a dead bird to soak up water (the "fecal soup"). One study has shown that simply placing the chicken carcasses in sealed plastic bags during the chilling stage would eliminate cross-contamination. But that would also eliminate an opportunity to turn waste-water into tens of millions of dollars' worth of additional weight in poultry products.

Each case of food-borne illness cannot be traced, but where we do know the original, or the "vehicle of transmission," it is, overwhelmingly, an animal product.

According to the US Centers for Disease Control (CDC), poultry is by far the largest cause... 83 percent of all chicken meat (including organic and antibiotic-free brands) is infected with either campylobacter or salmonella at the time of purchase...

The next time a friend has... "the stomach flu" - ask a few questions... he or she was probably among the 76 million cases of food-borne illness the CDC estimates occur in America each year.”

― Jonathan Safran Foer, Eating Animals

Not really. But then again, I would probably find the production of bacon quite distasteful, but what food is better than bacon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 01:43 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Stories like this played a large part in my decision to become a vegetarian.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:28 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Stories like this played a large part in my decision to become a vegetarian.
Stories like this played a large part in seldom coming to this forum anymore.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:10 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,831,906 times
I'm having chicken tonight.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:38 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Tin-foil-hat dreck!!!!

Sure, point out the worst case scenario as a scare tactic.

I love chicken, have probably eaten thousands of pounds in my lifetime. NEVER has I gotten sick from eaten the tasty bird...........you fail..........try a different scare technique!!!!!!!!!

NO.............I am not joining the Vegancult, no matter what!!!!!!

Old 07-15-2012, 08:19 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,730,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I'm having chicken tonight.

already had me some

Old 07-15-2012, 08:30 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
If you ever go into ANY kind of food processing facility, meat or vegetables, and you have a weak stomach? Well...you'll starve to death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies