Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 01:04 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,602,012 times

Advertisements

[quote=Fiddlehead;23630098]I am with the greens on this one, being the Bolshevick Vulcan that I am.

I think access to basic health care should be like access to clean air and water. If we can put a person on the moon and build enough bombs to annihilate all people on earth, we can help our people.

I agree, it's scary for America to keep trying for a spot in the 3rd world arena. Has anyone been to a 3rd world country to try it on for size first?

So odd to see people against abortion but for aborting 1/2 the countries health care.
How can you be pro life and against life at the same time? How can you be against abortions but for kicking 1/2 the people with serious illness including kids with cancer off their insurance. What, do you like to actually see the suffering? I just don't get it.

Healthcare should cover all and we should all pay into it. It's time for this country to grow up and put some big panties on. Even you republicans, I'm familiar with ya, I know it's hard but it's time to grow up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 01:14 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,166,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Oh, please! That is even beyond the talking points. Anyway it is your (conservative) idea of how it should be done, dreamed up by the Heritage Foundation, pushed by Republicans, and implemented by Mr. Severely Conservative. As Gurbie says, it was a bad idea from the get go. We need a single payer NHS like the rest of the civilized and half of the uncivilized world has. Get rid of profiteering private insurers. Medicare for all.

That is just stupid. A single payer, totally socialized, medical system would not be an improvement, but a disaster. I have worked in healthcare and I know people who have worked and do work in healthcare in countries where the system you describe is in place. It is horrific and those that can afford to come here for treatment when it is anything serious. There is a reason for that. Good to see your true colors coming to the front now though.

You are obviously not old enough to be on Medicare or have anyone close on it, or you would know it is not all that great. Why do you think those who can pay for it, buy supplements? I have dealt with Medicare, VA, and Medicaid...all government run healthcare and they all are substandard and provide substandard care to some extent.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
Sounds like my sister-in-law, she has health insurance and her two main reasons for not wanting national one payer health insurance is because she is fearful the quality of her medical care might go down which is unfounded but that is what those that have an invested interest in healthcare for profit are spreading.

She also uses that I am not responsible to pay for everyone else's needs.
Well she is a freakin TEACHER! where does she think the school gets the money to pay for her healthcare! from us through our school taxes along with paying for her vacation time and all those extra days teachers get off for.
How would she like it if when her union contract expires we drop medical coverage for the new contract.

So it is a combination of fear, selfishness and not caring about your fellow human being.

Your sister works for what she has, including her healthcare. Maybe she would just like for other people to do the same. Some people in this country are tired of working their butts off to pay for Freddie Freeloader and his ten kids. That may sound harsh, but we have way too many people in this country who don't want to do anything but ride the system. If someone is unable to work and help themselves, legitimately ...that is one thing, but there is too much entitlement mindset.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:35 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
The system is broken. They spend more time processing the paper work than taking care of the patients.

My son got a minor injury two months ago and went into ER for service. We were lucky when we got there, there was 1 other person before us. I was there for 2 hours, and the total time they spent on us was about 5 minutes. The rest of the time was paperwork, waiting for paperwork to get approve, and then even more paperwork. If I do have a life threaten emergency, I probably die waiting.

Unbelievable.
Your son had a minor injury and you had to wait.
No duh.
Because the really sick people are being taken care of first.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:37 AM

4,156 posts, read 4,173,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Oh, please! That is even beyond the talking points. Anyway it is your (conservative) idea of how it should be done, dreamed up by the Heritage Foundation, pushed by Republicans, and implemented by Mr. Severely Conservative. As Gurbie says, it was a bad idea from the get go. We need a single payer NHS like the rest of the civilized and half of the uncivilized world has. Get rid of profiteering private insurers. Medicare for all.
This is the last thing we need. a single payer system monopolized by the government.

People need to responsible for their own health. If I am healthy because I take good care of myself, I pay less. If my neighbor eating junk foods all day and get into all kind of problem, he should pay for it. Why should I be punished for taking good care of myself?

What we need is go back to doctor patient relationship. The cost of care should be between the doctor and patient, 3rd party should not be involve. Insurance should be a supplement, not a necessity. When something is a necessity, it is no longer insurance.

For example:
Life insurance is an insurance. You buy it for a catastrophe event that you might no longer able to take care of your love one.

Car insurance is NOT an insurance because it is required by law in most states. It is the cost of car owner. If car insurance run like government medicare, then we will see accident every minute. Why wouldn't it? There will be no deductible (no copayment for medicare recipient), car owner will go out to run into other people's car just for the hack of it.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:45 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,866,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
That is just stupid. A single payer, totally socialized, medical system would not be an improvement, but a disaster. I have worked in healthcare and I know people who have worked and do work in healthcare in countries where the system you describe is in place. It is horrific and those that can afford to come here for treatment when it is anything serious. There is a reason for that. Good to see your true colors coming to the front now though.

You are obviously not old enough to be on Medicare or have anyone close on it, or you would know it is not all that great. Why do you think those who can pay for it, buy supplements? I have dealt with Medicare, VA, and Medicaid...all government run healthcare and they all are substandard and provide substandard care to some extent.
You are just a fear monger, I'm sure you can link to real reports not just some tea party blogger that backs up your statement about single payer healthcare RIGHT?

The VA is a totally different animal that has to do with the military.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:06 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,866,413 times
Quote:
This is the last thing we need. a single payer system monopolized by the government.

People need to responsible for their own health. If I am healthy because I take good care of myself, I pay less. If my neighbor eating junk foods all day and get into all kind of problem, he should pay for it. Why should I be punished for taking good care of myself?

And what if you or a loved one had a life threatening disease through no fault of their own.
What if you went to your doctor and found out you had lung cancer and you never smoked a day in your life, or your child was born with a heart defect?

Sure people should take care better care of themselves, and when they don't they pay the price by suffering physical and mental pain, not being able to do the things they want to because of years of abusing their bodies and a shorter life span as a result. Again what if this person is a loved one, should we throw your mother, sister, son or daughter out into the street, or should we show mercy and care?

Old 03-30-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
You are just a fear monger, I'm sure you can link to real reports not just some tea party blogger that backs up your statement about single payer healthcare RIGHT?

The VA is a totally different animal that has to do with the military.

There is plenty of research to back this up. Have you ever worked in healthcare? Do you know anyone who live in Canada? And for the record, I am not associated in any way with the Tea Party.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:22 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
The system is broken. They spend more time processing the paper work than taking care of the patients.

My son got a minor injury two months ago and went into ER for service. We were lucky when we got there, there was 1 other person before us. I was there for 2 hours, and the total time they spent on us was about 5 minutes. The rest of the time was paperwork, waiting for paperwork to get approve, and then even more paperwork. If I do have a life threaten emergency, I probably die waiting.

Unbelievable.

Way too many people, that stand between you and your doctor.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:26 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
There is plenty of research to back this up. Have you ever worked in healthcare? Do you know anyone who live in Canada? And for the record, I am not associated in any way with the Tea Party.
I do. They are all over my neighborhood in winter, Canadian snowbirds. I never, never, never have heard any of them knock their healthcare system. In fact, they point with pride to it. I lived in Germany and England during my life and doubt there is a person in those countries who would trade their health care system, with whatever flaws it has, for the mess that is healthcare in the US. We have, according to the World Health Organization, the most expensive system in the world, but our quality of care is 37th by their measure. We have millions who have no care at all. A chronic illness often means bankruptcy in the US. It is a national disgrace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies