Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you believe is the cause of global warming?
human activity 20 17.39%
natural causes 60 52.17%
a combination of both 35 30.43%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 10:19 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times

Advertisements

Global warming deniers usually have the biggest bank accounts...."I would rather rule in hell than serve in heaven"---that's fine but why do you have to drag me along for the ride for? Poor and common people get no pleasure from this hot crash and burn...only the rich will enjoy destroying the place...It is not fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 10:25 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,523 times
Al Gore's Weather Control Machine located in the HAARP facility.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:27 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Global warming deniers usually have the biggest bank accounts...."I would rather rule in hell than serve in heaven"---that's fine but why do you have to drag me along for the ride for? Poor and common people get no pleasure from this hot crash and burn...only the rich will enjoy destroying the place...It is not fair.
GM pulling out of the Heartland Institute is probably the beginning of the end for global warming denialism. As always progress only happens when it affects the bottom line.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:43 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,782,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
GM pulling out of the Heartland Institute is probably the beginning of the end for global warming denialism. As always progress only happens when it affects the bottom line.
Notice how the desperate substitution of the imaginary "global warming" for the actual argument, "Man-caused global warming", is expanding and spreading as the various Global Whatever fanatics are backed into their corners? More and more they are unable to defend their wishful thinking that Man has caused the climate change we are seeing, and/or that Man can do something to "change it back".

As normal people spot their tired tactics and see past them, the Global Whatever fanatics are rapidly losing any credibility they ever had, even among people who might have believed their ducking and dodging before.

It's never been easy to be a liberal. You need a constant supply of people who will believe your rhetoric without examining it too closely. And nowadays, such people are becoming few and far between as the duplicitous tactics of the Left are exposed.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:45 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Do you believe it is entirely cause by man or natural causes, or a combination?

natural causes. nothing humans can do is more powerful than the sun and natural forces.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:34 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Do you believe it is entirely cause by man or natural causes, or a combination?
The warming trend is a combination of natural planet fluctuations AND man-made causes like cutting down the Amazon rain forest and other forests, and humans creating added heat like driving motor vehicles, heating their homes, and the heat from factory machinery.

How could anyone NOT believe that 7 billion human beings on this planet are having zero effect on our environment???

Old 04-02-2012, 07:28 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
How could anyone NOT believe that 7 billion human beings on this planet are having zero effect on our environment???
Nobody said zero effect. Humans can have a rather large effect on localized systems. This can be shown empirically and was never a question of debate.

Now humans having an effect according to the hypothesis of CAGW? Not even remotely substantiated and in fact, what evidence there is suggests natural variability.

The problem is that too many people make the mistake of claiming localized effect establishes global occurrence. Localized effect as global occurrence is an invalid support.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:54 AM

23,549 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Default earth has been cooling and warming since its creation.

Human caused global warming derives from an attempt to promote a political/social/economic agenda with a strategy that has been in use since before the aztecs and myans who relied on the ignorant to create a social and political hierarchy.

The earth has been cooling and warming since its creation. Human caused global warming derives from an egocentric attitude that nevers seems to go away.

Persecuting opposing views is a red flag as is the statement that the 'science is settled'. Science cannot exist without challenge, to remain static is its death.

The earth is certainly cooling or warming, no news here.

Respect for the earth transcends any political agenda, overzealous radicals that populate the EPA and other related regulatory agencies are the attack dogs for the new world politics. They have lost perspective.

CO2 can only be considered a pollutant in the fantasy world of goverment regulators.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:57 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
The melting glaciers everywhere isn't anyone's imagination.
Core samples of ice and snow show an unprecendented increases in carbon dioxide.
I assume it's a combionation of both, but seems unwise to make more of a mess as humans than we need to.
It isn't imaginary, it's nartural. There are now dozens of expanding glaciers. Science, because it is all speculation, could just as easily prove we are headed into an ice age again. It's a win win for science no matter which direction they choose.

IMO: If, in the smallest of chances, man IS causing global warming - I'd say that anyone living in the extreme north or south should be happy they'll be able to grow crops in their new found tropical paradise. If the oceans rise then it sucks to be Al Gore who just paid millions for his home on the beach (see how worried he is.)

Al Gore Buys $8.9 Million Ocean-view Villa - WORLD PROPERTY CHANNEL Global News Center

$8.9M for his Malibu home ON THE BEACH. Gore is no better than Haggard, Bakker, and the rest of those fake evengelists.

Preaches one thing and does another.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:51 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,774,733 times
Never confuse the unwillingness to take 30 minutes to prove a point on an internet forum with the inability to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
And now it's my fault that you can't cite anyproof of a link between man's activity and Global Whatever.

You're marching thru the script of Global Whatever ducking, dodging, and faking just like so many of your brethern have. The consistency is remarkable. As I said, it's probably because you have no place else to go.

BTW, you're making an awful lot of assumptions about me, aren't you? What my degrees are in, what fields, where I got them, what my subsequent work experience in atmospheric sciences has been, etc. Has it not occurred to you that I can blow all these excuses out of the water, merely by naming them?

I'll spare you the embarrassment, since you have generated quite enough on your own, and merely suggest: Try me.

Instead of describing your lofty (and condescending) lecture series, just tell me the gist of the proof, and in which studies it can be found... down to the page. I think you probably realize by now, that pointing to your entire library and saying, "It's in there somewhere, YOU go find it", won't cut it.

Just tell us all where the actual proof is, of a link between man's activities and Global Whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies