Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2012, 02:09 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
FYI, the flu shot is a killed virus so there's no way in the world you can get the flu from the shot.
It's actually a weakened virus, not a dead one.
It creates immunity by stimulating your system into thinking you have the full-blown version, and sometimes people do develop a light version of it.

That being said, I'm all for vaccines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 02:41 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I hope that is not the case. Autistic people, in most cases, can't even take care of themselves, let alone take care of another person.
I'm autistic , I can take care of myself....so can most Mild Aspies....Severe cannot....but its unlikely for them to have sex....

Old 04-02-2012, 03:20 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I'm autistic , I can take care of myself....so can most Mild Aspies....Severe cannot....but its unlikely for them to have sex....
Since you are autistic, I am actually curious about your take on the issue. Do you think there is an actual increase in the condition or just changes in diagnoses?

I happen to know a teenage girl who has aspergers syndrome. All I can say is that whatever it is she has, I will swear her mother has it as well. Her father also has countless quirks himself.

Do you notice any genetic connections with the condition? Do you suspect that any of your own ancestors might have had it and just weren't diagnosed in the past?

Old 04-02-2012, 03:35 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Since you are autistic, I am actually curious about your take on the issue. Do you think there is an actual increase in the condition or just changes in diagnoses?

I happen to know a teenage girl who has aspergers syndrome. All I can say is that whatever it is she has, I will swear her mother has it as well. Her father also has countless quirks himself.

Do you notice any genetic connections with the condition? Do you suspect that any of your own ancestors might have had it and just weren't diagnosed in the past?
I was adopted so I don't know too much about my Family History. I do know a few Family's were all the Children have it but the Parents do not....it seems to vary. I wasn't diagnosed till i was 15 which is common with Aspergers , that form of Autism is caught during the teen years.... I think there getting better at Diagnosing it , but I also think its growing due to Sexual Activity within the Austic community , and more Austic people are starting family's in general....

Old 04-02-2012, 04:24 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
Quote:
Ratajczak also looks at a factor that hasn't been widely discussed: human DNA contained in vaccines. That's right, human DNA. Ratajczak reports that about the same time vaccine makers took most thimerosal out of most vaccines (with the exception of flu shots which still widely contain thimerosal), they began making some vaccines using human tissue. Ratajczak says human tissue is currently used in 23 vaccines. She discusses the increase in autism incidences corresponding with the introduction of human DNA to MMR vaccine, and suggests the two could be linked. Ratajczak also says an additional increased spike in autism occurred in 1995 when chicken pox vaccine was grown in human fetal tissue.

Dr. Strom said he was unaware that human DNA was contained in vaccines but told us, "It does not matter...Even if human DNA were then found in vaccines, it does not mean that they cause autism." Ratajczak agrees that nobody has proven DNA causes autism; but argues nobody has shown the opposite, and scientifically, the case is still open.
She told us that for years while working in the pharmaceutical industry, she was restricted as to what she was allowed to publish. "I'm retired now," she told CBS News. "I can write what I want."
Vaccines and autism: a new scientific review - CBS News Investigates - CBS News

Old 04-02-2012, 05:58 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
It's actually a weakened virus, not a dead one.
It creates immunity by stimulating your system into thinking you have the full-blown version, and sometimes people do develop a light version of it.

That being said, I'm all for vaccines.
No. The flu "shot" contains killed viruses, flumist (the nose spray) contains live, attenuated viruses. There was a post on here that linked to an article claiming that you can't get the flu from flumist. I don't know if that's true, but I don't know a single doctor who would recommend flumist to a pregnant woman or a person with an immune disorder. The reason people get sick after the flu shot is because it's your body's response to the flu that makes you feel sick, not the virus itself. I don't like the push for everyone to get the flu vaccine, but I wouldn't put it on the list of autism culprits.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:59 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,662,572 times
It's simple: women are having children at an older age.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:15 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,775,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I'm inclined to agree with the assortative mating hypothesis. Basically, it's much easier for nerds these days to find and marry other nerds. Autism is caused by mutations in many genes. You mate a mild aspie guy with 3 mutations on genes 1, 2 and 3 with a girl with mutations on genes 3, 4, and 5, you might end up having a kid with 5 mutations. He's going to be further down the spectrum than his parents.

I am a little biased here: There are fairly high rates of Autism amongst children within the programming community in Seattle.

I'm also looking forward to researchers finding out more about the oxytocin connection. I find that really fascinating.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:06 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,932,453 times
I would suspect environmental issues first. So yes, vaccines, food and water. Radiation leakage is hardly ever talked about.

Both vaccines and radiation, especially can trigger some serious issues. I am amazed so many observations of parents after their child reacts to a vaccine are ignored.

Radiation is insidious, very easy to ignore and it causes tons of issues. It is a big industry and incredibly difficult for ordinary people to track it's effects. It is kept out of discussions. Look at how devastating Chernobyl and Japan have been yet barely a word.

Strontium 90 in children’s teeth «

We also do not address EMF issues in US.
WiFi and EM Radiation - The Rest of the Autism Story

Think of how much mercury is in people's heads passed onto their children.

Chernobyl legacy.Paul Fusco.avi - YouTube

Last edited by CDusr; 04-02-2012 at 11:25 PM..

Old 04-03-2012, 12:28 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
Why isn't the rest of the globe reporting the epidemic numbers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies