Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 08:50 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
From the article..."1 in 88 American children has some form of autism spectrum disorder". This would include Aspergers syndrome which was relatively unknown a decade ago.
Exactly. Aspergers is the "high functioning" autism, in the past autism wasn't viewed as a disease that led to the individual being "high functioning". It was very debiliating. 20 years ago no one had Aspergers.

Now you see all these happy, smiling, talkative, friendly autistic children. It may even be a whole lot of misdiagnosis -- a child that throws a tantrum in school in second grade, but is otherwise normal enough can end up labeled as autistic.

Today we must have a diagnosis for every square peg that doesn't fit easily into the round holes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 08:50 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It has to be something in the living environment, because genes do not change that fast.
Bingo. Just like the new crop of resistant bacteria found in the hospitals or the insecticide resistant weeds that are now growing with crops, these changes take time to evolve.

We have become more dependent on chemicals over the past several decades. It's in our food and our throw-away containers. We're exposed and ingesting this all the time.

I don't think it's JUST better diagnosing.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:52 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,831,906 times
Default The Autism vs. Vaccination study was faked. Why do people still want their children to die?

Lancet Renounces Study Linking Autism And Vaccines : Shots - Health Blog : NPR

It later emerged that Wakefield had been taking money from a lawyer suing vaccine makers. The results of his study couldn't be replicated. It's a MADE UP STORY from a guy that was TAKING MONEY to MAKE IT UP. And people are going to watch their children SUFFER and DIE because of it. That's heartbreaking. The only thing I can think of is they have the mentality of a birther. I believe it, so it must be true. Which is what people used to think when they burned witches. Hey, they weren't witches, whaddya know. Hey, I don't have polio 'cuz I got vaccinated. Whaddya know.

I honestly think a lot of people are just dumb. Look into the sky. Do you see the moon? Or the sun? One's a rock. One's a ball of gas. Right? Everyone OK with this? How do you know? Oh, a scientist figured it out. I'm cool with that. Science is AWESOME! YEAH! GO SCIENCE!!!

Ever hear of Cosmic microwave background radiation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ?
Oh, what's that? Why it's radiation left over from an early stage in the development of the universe. Some scientist figured that out. It's a leftover from when nothing went to something. Did God do that? I dunno. Maybe it did. Maybe it didn't. It did it about 13.75 billion years ago, though.

People think God put every living creature in the ark. No seriously, my church taught that. He must've created an interdimensional space, because every living creature - bacteria, virus, amoeba, worms - you name it had to be on it. Here's a site with the logistics. It's hilarious. The ship was held together by God's love, because hey, logistically, it would've sprung a leak and everyone would've died.
Problems with a Global Flood, 2nd edition

That's the problem, though. People don't think logically. And it's irritating.
It's like people that ignore the gaping holes in Obama's strategy to save their home... It's pure lights and mirrors. One part of the plan that I really like is they asked banks to voluntarily help people. That's insane. Banks aren't there to volunteer to lose money. They're there to take your money and make even more money with it. That's what they do! Down on your luck, HA! sucks to be you, chum. Yet, there were some people who actually believed our government was creating a real program to help them save their home. When they could've just looked at it and saw it was total BS.

America needs to wake the F up. Stop believing all this pseudo-science and mumbo jumbo. Start calling it like it is, vs. what you want it to be.
Like, this abortion thing. It's totally easy for someone to say, "We're also gonna ask you to have this huge ***** looking thing shoved inside you so we can make you see the baby that YOU TOTALLY KNOW IS INSIDE YOU because you are ****ing PREGNANT but we want to make you feel EVEN WORSE about what you are doing and Har Har, Hardy Har Har." Can't everyone see that that is just retarded? I got a real good feeling that if she's in those stirrups and made it that far, all you're doing now is trying to humiliate someone. That's our government in action. Humiliating a woman making one of the most hardest choices of her life.

We got more important things to do with our time, don't we?

America?

Old 04-01-2012, 08:54 AM

If you got your shots then why are you so worried about other people ?

Old 04-01-2012, 09:00 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,831,906 times
Do you know how much it costs to take care of someone with polio? Ever seen a picture of someone with all the diseases we've managed to avoid by being vaccinated? I have. I felt bad for them because there was a way for them not to get sick or die, but it wasn't available for them, so they got sick and died and now you've got some parents who hear that vaccines are horrible and want their children to get sick and die when it's been scientifically proven that they save lives and keep you healthy vs. getting crippled or just plain die.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Do you know how much it costs to take care of someone with polio? Ever seen a picture of someone with all the diseases we've managed to avoid by being vaccinated? I have. I felt bad for them because there was a way for them not to get sick or die, but it wasn't available for them, so they got sick and died and now you've got some parents who hear that vaccines are horrible and want their children to get sick and die when it's been scientifically proven that they save lives and keep you healthy vs. getting crippled or just plain die.
Well that's their choice in life, not yours to make for their kids.
Are you going to get all worked up over somethiing you have no control over ?

Old 04-01-2012, 10:15 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Is it an autism explosion or a diagnosis explosion?
I think it is some of both. My son is autistic, has all the classic symptoms which make him severely disabled. Iv' met plenty of other children with a diagnosis that puts them on the autism spectrum, but really they are people that have far more ability than my son ever will, I think that they are children that could have a job and a family one day if they want it. There has been an increase in classically autistic very disabled people, but the statistics also include all of the very high functioning people that have a diagnosis because they are just a bit different. It is including people that 30 years ago would never have had a diagnosis at all.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:19 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Exactly. Aspergers is the "high functioning" autism, in the past autism wasn't viewed as a disease that led to the individual being "high functioning". It was very debiliating. 20 years ago no one had Aspergers.

Now you see all these happy, smiling, talkative, friendly autistic children. It may even be a whole lot of misdiagnosis -- a child that throws a tantrum in school in second grade, but is otherwise normal enough can end up labeled as autistic.

Today we must have a diagnosis for every square peg that doesn't fit easily into the round holes.
Well said.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:50 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

That"s the real issue I think.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:03 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well that's their choice in life, not yours to make for their kids.
Are you going to get all worked up over somethiing you have no control over ?
Make the choice not to vaccinate and you make that choice for ALL of us as vaccine preventable diseases are contagious and vaccines do not offer one hundred percent protection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies