Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2012, 05:04 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
So class hatred, gas ovens and "ethnioc cleansing", all of which surfaced in Europe over the past century, are somehow not as big a fault as unabashed capitalism?

The usual double-standards, applied by the over sheltered and over-sanitized, are showing up all over this thread.
Part of that 'being full of yourself' attitude of some Americans is quickly disappearing. That attitude grew out of our ability to compete favorably with the rest of the world, first by slavery, and then after so much of the world was decimated after WWII.

Now our businesses in the US are deserting us for greener pastures, going overseas for brains that cost less and importing illegal help here at home for the job that can't be exported.

I think the era of the haughty American is exiting. Maybe we will have the haughty Chinese or Indian next?

Old 04-01-2012, 05:10 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
The funny thing is, had I started a thread on some positive attribute of Americans, those same people now saying there is no national character etc. would have agreed with me (yes, I know, they will pop up here now and say they wouldn't have) I guess most people only consider positive attributes valid, maybe it is typical of the human mind... Give me just the compliments and keep the criticism
I think people from the same country or culture do have a "veneer" that has been acquired through conditioning, and that conditioning includes both positive and negative traits. But I think it's a lot more complex than often gets portrayed in these kinds of discussions. I hope that makes sense. I think there are very real upsides and downsides to every culture, just like there are to every individual, but because people are so quick to judge and condemn, I do honestly refrain from emphasizing the negative attributes I notice.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:45 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
But our whole system is based on competition. I think we feel that our very survival as individuals depends on it. We don't have the social safety net of some other countries, do we? Doesn't competition, in some way, make the other guy an enemy? The whole Ayn Rand Libertarian idea of rugged individualism, the creative individual, the ground breaker, is tied up in this.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to excel, but in some it goes too far and they feel they must also put down the other guy. I think everyone would like to stand out in something. Otherwise, we are merely another sort of cattle, eating, breeding, sleeping, etc.
True. Me, I don't think I'm competitive at all. It would explain why I felt like I fit in more in another country, though I was born and raised here! Obviously, not all Americans hate gentleness (and I probably wouldn't word it that way, for those who do seem to). But I do feel there is something, if not your theory, about American culture that makes kindness the exception rather than the norm.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:48 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
Visitors from outside a country who come and stay for a while in a city, believe that the city is the culture of the whole nation. If you travel say 30 miles in any direction from the city..the culture shifts and you go back in time to the previous more established culture. Cities tend to be a strange blend of all culture because immigrants tend to settle first in cities..If you want to know traditional red neck culture..yes it is a culture..You have to go to the country..The rural country side is best representative of a nation culturally speaking.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:20 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
So class hatred, gas ovens and "ethnioc cleansing", all of which surfaced in Europe over the past century, are somehow not as big a fault as unabashed capitalism?

The usual double-standards, applied by the over sheltered and over-sanitized, are showing up all over this thread.
Ethnic cleansing and genocide are awful crimes.
How wrongs make a right?

Old 04-01-2012, 06:22 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Part of that 'being full of yourself' attitude of some Americans is quickly disappearing. That attitude grew out of our ability to compete favorably with the rest of the world, first by slavery, and then after so much of the world was decimated after WWII.

Now our businesses in the US are deserting us for greener pastures, going overseas for brains that cost less and importing illegal help here at home for the job that can't be exported.

I think the era of the haughty American is exiting. Maybe we will have the haughty Chinese or Indian next?
So? .... Most of us who live daily lives "closer to the street" will learn how to compete by adapting here and there.The nation still has the best-organized (unless you're into radical Veganism), most diverse and potentially self-sufficient agriculture on the globe, the finest heavy-duty freight transport infrastructure (anchored by a privately-held rail network, which rebuilt itself primarily with its own capital, BTW), and there are any number of industries in which American technology remains pre-eminent.

And the majority of us, particulary since the participation rate in the labor force among women began taking off, don't yearn for a return to the gritty days of "smokestack industry"; we want to be the world's doctor, banker, insurance agfent and philanthropist.

We will survive, we will grow, we will prosper; but as lot of us don't think the "enlightened" European model is a good example to follow.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 04-01-2012 at 07:22 PM..

Old 04-01-2012, 06:22 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Again the bias of the observer will determine their conclusions.
Observation is one way to develop opinions. I noticed you haven't provided any contra to my observations, but prefer to dismiss it all as biased. Social critics have been expressing opinions (based on observation) for centuries.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:26 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Ethnic cleansing and genocide are awful crimes.
How wrongs make a right?
Most of the self-appointed intelligentsia here seem preoccupied with only one of those wrongs, and it's the one that has filled far fewer graves, and far less deliberately.

I repeat -- double-standards are in effect.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 04-01-2012 at 07:17 PM..

Old 04-01-2012, 08:40 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,750,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Observation is one way to develop opinions. I noticed you haven't provided any contra to my observations, but prefer to dismiss it all as biased. Social critics have been expressing opinions (based on observation) for centuries.
Well of course all opinions are informed by bias. As you correctly pointed out there is no way to quantify gentleness, so it is a subjective determination informed by biases. I do not feel compelled to provide opposing opinions to yours. Suffice it to say they exist and are equally valid to your opinion.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:56 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,664,867 times
We grew up watching Charles Bronson

Gentle sucks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies