Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2012, 12:17 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs0503 View Post
I'm sorry, but that still doesn't answer my question. If you are going to make a claim, you need to need to provide supplemental facts and evidence.
I won't discuss my alienation in this thread, it would be quite off-topic.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:53 PM

487 posts, read 382,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Oh no, soccer is just one puzzle in the overall picture.

You seem to ignore the fact that a number of Americans seem to share my view in this thread, it is obviously not just my impression. There is no point in tying the topic to my person, it is independent of it.
I would say it is more 50/50. Also,I should point out that there are many Americans who dislike America in general. Furthermore, I wonder if the number of Americans who share your views consider themselves to be "gentle." if they do, I'm not really sure how they can claim that the American character is the opposite, whatever that may be...

Again, if you are forming your impressions of Americans based on city data threads, then I suggest that you should get out more

I guess, what I'm trying to ask is, which nationality are you comparing American kindness and gentleness with? Furthermore, your definition of "gentle" is rather ambiguous. I think it would be naive to say that all pedestrians and biker riders are gentle...

I suppose what really bothers me is that by saying Americans, in general, are hostile and unkind, you are subsequently insulting me, my co-workers, friends and family. I take offense to that. To say that an individual or group is unkind without any evidence whatsoever, is itself unkind in a way.

Last edited by ajs0503; 04-04-2012 at 02:21 PM..

Old 04-04-2012, 01:26 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Behaviors are learned. Manners and decorum are supposed to be taught to you by your parents and reinforced daily while growing up, to respect people and yourself.

Being classy is no less American than Apple Pie. If you know what the skinny fork or spoon above your dinner plate is for and when to use it, someone classy raised you. If you know which fork to use first when you have 3 outside of your dinner plate, someone classy raised you.

If your parents are classy then you'll be classy. It's really just that simple.
Dinner protocol is not all that class is about. Class is having proper decorum, keeping a cool head in hot situations, and treating people with respect and consideration.

There does seem to be a brash and noisy and aggressive element in society these days. I suppose it was always there, but is more accepted now, which is a pity, because the positive elements of how to treat each other can always be learned. There should be a dignity in being human, something that separates us from the rest of the animals.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
americans want so to be tough and strong. but they are not. violent and rude many of them but rarely tough and strong. they fail to understand moral and spiritual strength bek they have turned away from worship of their God. hedonism makes u weak. america suffers from a famine of personal power. if they get any they quickly give it away.
What a laugh! Having an invisible friend does all that, does it?

Old 04-04-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone-Ranger View Post
I see you're rather intelligent than your average american.

The indoctrinated mentality happened way before images from films ever started, around the time of taking america from its Natives.

Aggression is only admired until america is on the recieving end of a bloody nose and then has the ordasity to cry the "victim" to the world and to top it off tells everyone "you're either with us or against us"??

No one even bothered to look up unbiased history and see that it is america who has been going around causing mayhem and chaos all over the world since it's inception.

Yes indeed, the eagerness to bully and kill many from the 3rd world countries and yet be tollerant of nations like russia or china? afraid of a bloody nose?

The world would indeed be a better place had america listened and aspired to be the likes of Samuel Langhorne Clemens aka Mark Twain.
Judging from the lack of enthusiasm or reponse to one of your threads really hits the nail.
I will not argue with your opinion of the US, but I will add that militant Islam has wreaked havoc in many countries.

There is a difference in politicians and countries acting in the way that politicians and countries do and killing in the name of some twisted god.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:52 PM

487 posts, read 382,851 times
I would also remind you that Americans invented political correctness... Which is something that people of other nationalities find quite strange.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
I would say it is more 50/50. Also,I should point out that there are many Americans who dislike America in general. Furthermore, I wonder if the number of Americans who share your views consider themselves to be "gentle." if they do, I'm not really sure how they can claim that the American character is the opposite, whatever that may be...

Again, if you are forming impressions of Americans from city data threads, then I suggest that you should get out more

I guess, what I'm trying to say is, which nationality are you comparing American kindness and gentleness with? Furthermore, your definition of "gentle" is rather ambiguous. I think it would be naive to say that all pedestrians and biker riders are gentle...

I suppose what really bothers me is that by saying Americans, in general, are hostile and unkind, you are subsequently insulting me, my co-workers, friends and family. I take offense to that. To say that an individual or group is unkind without any evidence whatsoever, is itself unkind in a way.
Hm, actually some of those agreeing with me did not claim to be the exception to the rule, some were more or less proud to be that way, it seemed to me.

As I said, I have to do with Americans professionally, but message boards are also good indicators as people tend to show their real faces there because they don't have to be afraid of social sanctions.

As long as I don't say ALL Americans are like this or that, I have no idea why anyone would be offended my my impression (not even claim or anything).

From my experience so far, there are indeed differences from nation to nation. The Portuguese for instance seem to be gentler on average than Americans or even Brits. And, what is more important regarding the topic of this thread, the Portuguese don't have a problem with appearing fragile and weak in public. People here don't have that power and optimism mania, instead they have their Fado, a rather melancholic music that brings out the fragile side of people, and nobody deems it inappropriate.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:36 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Hm, actually some of those agreeing with me did not claim to be the exception to the rule, some were more or less proud to be that way, it seemed to me.

As I said, I have to do with Americans professionally, but message boards are also good indicators as people tend to show their real faces there because they don't have to be afraid of social sanctions.

As long as I don't say ALL Americans are like this or that, I have no idea why anyone would be offended my my impression (not even claim or anything).

From my experience so far, there are indeed differences from nation to nation. The Portuguese for instance seem to be gentler on average than Americans or even Brits. And, what is more important regarding the topic of this thread, the Portuguese don't have a problem with appearing fragile and weak in public. People here don't have that power and optimism mania, instead they have their Fado, a rather melancholic music that brings out the fragile side of people, and nobody deems it inappropriate.
Fragile and weak? Are those synonyms for gay?

Old 04-04-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
I would also remind you that Americans invented political correctness... Which is something that people of other nationalities find quite strange.
And they invented the muscle car

Old 04-04-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Fragile and weak? Are those synonyms for gay?
I don't think so, at least not to me. Doesn't everyone have such a side, whether or not they show them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies