Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 09:53 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,834,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMH2507 View Post
What was the latest CBO figure for the next ten year cost -- $1.7 trillion?
Think again!
Remember how we had to pass the bill to see what was in it? (Pelosi)
Since I haven't and don't intend to read the whole bill (over 2700 pages) I let others do it for me!

Quote:
Senate Republican staffers continue to look though the 2010 health care reform law to see what’s in it, and their latest discovery is a massive $17 trillion funding gap.

“The more we learn about the bill, the more we learn it is even more unaffordable than was suspected,” said Alabama Sen. Jeff Sessions, the Republicans’ budget chief in the Senate.

“The bill has to be removed from the books because we don’t have the money,” he said.

The hidden shortfall between new spending and new taxes was revealed just after Supreme Court justices grilled the law’s supporters about its compliance with the Constitution’s limits on government activity. If the court doesn’t strike down the law, it will force taxpayers to find another $17 trillion to pay for the increased spending.
Obamacare | Shortfall | Jeff Sessions | The Daily Caller
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 01:23 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,360 times
I can kind of understand the OPs point.

Older people CAN be selfish. What else would you call those people who continued to drive long after they should have handed in their licenses and end up killing a bunch of pedestrians minding their own business. Remember the old man who ran into those people at the farmers market ? We have one here who ran into a hairdressing salon killing a lady minding her own business getting her hair shampooed. And the old woman who drove into the building didn't even apologize to the family.

Also, many older people have this idea that they can be as obnoxious as they want in public simply by virtue of longevity.

They seem to get a pass for these things. People on this thread scream ageism, but when it's the reverse and the older are picking on younger people you never seem to hear these "age-ism" outcries.

Younger people are not happy that the money they paid into social security may not be there when THEY need to retire. Yet we have older people getting back way more then they put into to begin with. Wealthy older people need to wake up and smell the economy and maybe give up theirs. IMO it's selfish to take it when you don't need it and own RVS, multiple homes, etc.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:45 PM

45,374 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post

Older people CAN be selfish. What else would you call those people who continued to drive long after they should have handed in their licenses and end up killing a bunch of pedestrians minding their own business. Remember the old man who ran into those people at the farmers market ? We have one here who ran into a hairdressing salon killing a lady minding her own business getting her hair shampooed. And the old woman who drove into the building didn't even apologize to the family.

Also, many older people have this idea that they can be as obnoxious as they want in public simply by virtue of longevity.

They seem to get a pass for these things. People on this thread scream ageism, but when it's the reverse and the older are picking on younger people you never seem to hear these "age-ism" outcries.

Younger people are not happy that the money they paid into social security may not be there when THEY need to retire. Yet we have older people getting back way more then they put into to begin with. Wealthy older people need to wake up and smell the economy and maybe give up theirs. IMO it's selfish to take it when you don't need it and own RVS, multiple homes, etc.
The Social Security I've paid in for the last 40+ years isn't there either. It's gone out to current beneficiaries, which is the way the system was set up.

The politics of envy is at work I see. It's quite likely that those things you listed were bought, or at least planned for, while the owners were working. Even if not, if someone can afford it why shouldn't they get it? Or are you advocating that some people who paid into Social Security their entire working lives, call it 50 years, aren't worthy to collect it because of good planning or just plain hard work?

Old 04-02-2012, 01:58 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post

Sometimes it's cheaper to own an RV than it is to maintain a home. Further, those people worked all of their lives, they do most certainly indeed DESERVE to travel the country in their RV if they wish. They put in their time.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:23 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
so if you're young, you'd
take an organ transplant
from an old person? wth..

Old 04-02-2012, 02:25 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
Back in the old days they actually cared about future generations, now they just feel entitled and it's all me me me, screw the grand kids.
According to past posts you're 22.

I have to say if I had a 22-year old with your attitude expecting to get my money when I died I buy a big, fat, slow, luxury mobile home, slap an "I'm Spending My Children's Inheritance" bumper sticker on it, and see the country.

Probably tow a Porsche on the back.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:27 PM

1,389 posts, read 1,312,791 times
Legalize organ sales. That's why Iran has no such thing as a organ waiting list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
Back in the old days they actually cared about future generations, now they just feel entitled and it's all me me me, screw the grand kids.

If you're past 65 years old and you need an organ transplant of any kind you shouldn't get it unless there are no younger candidates in need, also no 100s of thousand-millions$$$ worth of treatment for you unless you pay out of pocket. Seriously they should be given a big bag of heroin so they can live out their last days comfortably but don't burden society with extremely expensive end/near-end of life care and die like a man, with dignity.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:04 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,367,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund_Burke View Post
Legalize organ sales. That's why Iran has no such thing as a organ waiting list.
Ruh roh.........

Biden’s Buddy: Organ Trafficker | Washington Free Beacon

Old 08-24-2013, 12:05 PM

1 posts, read 754 times
people are supposed to get more spiritual as they age or get closer to death unlike the many selfish old mongers of today [FONT=Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings][/FONT][/FONT]

Old 08-24-2013, 12:14 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Cool Why are old people so selfish these days?

Because geezers rule, dude.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies