Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2012, 02:05 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,201,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Equality in the sense of equal treatment and in opportunities is what most mean.

Not sure why you are rambling on about hair and eye color, though?

I think the problem you have is that, you don't understand the outcome of what you advocate.

Lets take affirmative-action for instance, do you think it was a good thing or a bad thing? What was the purpose of affirmative-action?

The problem people like yourself have is, you have this expectation that if there is equality of opportunity, then there should be equality of results. And if there isn't equality of outcomes, then there must be something sinister going on, and something needs to be done about it.

I don't think you will find a soul that believes that there shouldn't be equality of opportunity. Even some of the most anti-government and racist people tend to believe in equality of opportunity. That is what American was built on. On the other hand, you will find plenty of people who are opposed to the government artificially elevating the status of people through programs like affirmative-action, to give the impression of equality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 02:13 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,472,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserkr View Post
Nope don't tell them that either. See kids are curious creatures they ask questions they wonder why is the mommy white the daddy black (if he is around which around here is rarely the case oddly ) and the kid or kids are neither. It needs no explanation I explain they are of different races and they mixed my kids take it from there I don't need to prod my children to accept it they accept or deny it themselves. So far they are doing as nature intended them to do.

Oh what was your question? Must have missed it.
These questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btsilver
Sigh. So you don't see a problem with referring to a white woman as tainted trash if they date outside the race?

So, objectively of course, tell me why a white woman would be "tainted trash" if she dated outside of her race?

I am really interested in your answer for this.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:23 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Equality is achieved at birth? What the hell you just say?

Let me ask you a few questions.

If everyone is equal at birth, then why are the top 200, 100 meter dash times, all held by blacks?

If everyone is equal at birth, then what causes the vast spectrum of cognitive ability?

If everyone is equal at birth, does that mean kids with down syndrome are equal to someone without?

What exactly do you think equal means?

I mean, aren't some babies just better looking than others? Are people who are good-looking treated differently than people who are ugly?
I'm talking about equal on a human/humanity level. I'm no better than anyone else, and neither are you.

As for the other stuff, that's common sense. Which is why i said that no two people are equals in terms of anything. We're all different.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:24 PM

831 posts, read 680,042 times
Quote:
I am very big about respect. I try to show everyone around me a lot of respect. That doesn't mean I only show people respect if they are a certain race or religion or level of wealth. No, I treat the homeless person the same as I treat the rich man. I treat Catholics the same as atheists. I treat gays the same as straights. Blacks the same as whites.

I might have general angst about certain peoples choices, but I still treat them with the utmost respect.

I think everyone should teach their children to be respectful of everyone else. But I think it is a ridiculous and illogical to preach equality, because it simply does not exist, and cannot truly exist in our world.

And if we are a society that believes that we can create equality through policy, it ends up in a failure of a system. Where the more capable are held back, and the less capable are artificially elevated to give the appearance of equality. It cannot exist any other way.

I think your deranged in your thinking, there is no common ground into your thinking, it's like an On and off switch button for you.

And what makes you think the system isnt already broken? Look around you, rich elite countries using their good citizens as pawns in their chess game to get the up on the other. We have exploited our genuises to provide weapons of mass destruction instead of a system of helping one another to be the best that they can be, and yes some are going to be more succesfull than others but for anyone to feel starvation at this day and age of man??. This must not bother you huh?

Old 04-02-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
I think the problem you have is that, you don't understand the outcome of what you advocate.

Lets take affirmative-action for instance, do you think it was a good thing or a bad thing? What was the purpose of affirmative-action?

The problem people like yourself have is, you have this expectation that if there is equality of opportunity, then there should be equality of results. And if there isn't equality of outcomes, then there must be something sinister going on, and something needs to be done about it.

I don't think you will find a soul that believes that there shouldn't be equality of opportunity. Even some of the most anti-government and racist people tend to believe in equality of opportunity. That is what American was built on. On the other hand, you will find plenty of people who are opposed to the government artificially elevating the status of people through programs like affirmative-action, to give the impression of equality.
Yea, i thought affirmative action was good up to a point. Whether or not it's still needed as an approach or remedy nowadays is questionable.

Besides, there is no equality of opportunity. That's absurd. So obviously no one expects an equality of outcomes. The whole equality/opportunity/outcome argument is overblown conservative claptrap that folks just can't stop saying because it's been thrown around for so long. No one that i've ever met expects any two people regardless of opportunity to have the same outcome. It's a ridiculous assertion.

And to say that America was built on equality of opportunity is the biggest load of bullsh*t ever posted on C-D. Since when? So a black man in Mississippi had the same equality in terms of opportunity in lets say...1920 as a white man did?

REALLY??

Old 04-02-2012, 02:30 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:

I am not going to debate Affirmative Action (that is a discussion which would require its own thread). However, I will explain using the experiences of my own family.

There was a time in this country where opportunities simply were not open to everyone. I come from a very long line of educated African Americans. When my great grandfather graduated from college no company would hire him so he had to work as a Pullman porter and then eventually started his own business. Many companies had policies in which they did not hire Black people, period. Some still do.

Personally, I believe that we (Black people) should create our own jobs by starting and patronizing our own businesses in greater numbers. Because ultimately, a certain segment of the population will always be bigoted and biased. That will never change.

But with all of that being said, I would still like for our children to not be shot dead in the streets like a stray dog simply because they have dark skin.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:38 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,201,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone-Ranger View Post
I think your deranged in your thinking, there is no common ground into your thinking, it's like an On and off switch button for you.

And what makes you think the system isnt already broken? Look around you, rich elite countries using their good citizens as pawns in their chess game to get the up on the other. We have exploited our genuises to provide weapons of mass destruction instead of a system of helping one another to be the best that they can be, and yes some are going to be more succesfull than others but for anyone to feel starvation at this day and age of man??. This must not bother you huh?

I am not going to disagree with you on your examples. And while you condemn our world as it is, you don't really address how that happened in the first place.

I am an eternal pacifist, I wish we didn't need to have a military at all. I don't like businesses using the government for their own benefit. I am a libertarian to the highest order. But that doesn't mean I don't want people helping each other.

Quote:
For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.’ “Then the righteous will answer Him, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You something to drink? ‘And when did we see You a stranger, and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You? ‘When did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ “The King will answer and say to them, ‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them,you did it to Me.’
That is from the bible, in the book of Matthew. It is something that means a lot to me, and practically every time I read it, it brings tears to my eyes.

When I look at the world around me, you can certainly argue that people are taking advantage of other people. But in my mind, most of this exploitation is caused by government and not in its absence. If you look throughout history, it is much the same.

I get so tired of hearing about how there are children in this country that go hungry. Because there are so many programs that already exist to provide people with their basic necessities. If a kid is starving in this country, its because they have ****ty parents, period.

And I do not believe in the absence of government involvement that there would be people starving anymore than they currently are in this country.

I think there is a lot more we can do for people in our society, but I don't think what we are doing is very effective.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:40 PM

1,389 posts, read 1,312,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Equality is achieved at birth.

Equality in other areas like money or social standing is an impossibility. No two people are equal in that respect anyway.

That's not even true. I would say Michael Jordan was born with a key advantage over the majority of w. Americans.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund_Burke View Post
That's not even true. I would say Michael Jordan was born with a key advantage over the majority of w. Americans.
Again, i'm talking about at a human/humanity level. I'm not talking about abilities that we don't even know exists in a newborn.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:47 PM

1,389 posts, read 1,312,322 times
??????????? Oh, this is funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies