Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would you do with "the poor"?
Help them, provide assistance and do all we can to end poverty 59 50.43%
Nothing (leave them to sink or swim) 24 20.51%
Punish them for their so-called bad decision making 3 2.56%
Euthanise them or encourage euthanasia to people who have lost hope 7 5.98%
Other (explain) 24 20.51%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 09:26 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Help them, provide assistance and do all we can to end poverty

The problem with this one is that is what we have been doing and it does not work it is creating a even more needy group of people with no ambition what so ever to take care of themselves.
Sounds like Corporate America more than the poor.

I agree though in all seriousness with what you are saying. There has to be a better way than what we've been doing. I am open to all ideas as long as it doesn't involve leaving people behind to hopelessness and depression.

People have to feel valued, that is our challenge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 09:30 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
I do not know of another developed nation on earth where the poor are chastised to such a degree. I get the impression that many would rather see the poor just off themselves to avoid being any kind of burden to society and to the taxpayer.
Apparently 24 people that voted do NOT like poor people, with 4 of them being really sick motherfathers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whateverhere View Post
Why can't we just deport all people that are on welfare? This country would be a lot wealthier.
Sick mentality! Why can't you help you fellow man by doing something, anything to get them out of their situation?

Quote:
Because there would be no more freeloaders leeching off of the Government.
You mean like Amtrack did, the airlines did, the banks did, the car makers did, the politicians do all the time?

Quote:
Of course we can deport U.S. citizens. The laws and the constitution just need to be altered a little bit.
Oh how wonderful! Changing things to suit your ideals.

Quote:
Just deport them to Mexico. Hey, they flood this country with their scum, so lets just flood them with our scum.
Why do you feel that poor people (no matter WHY they are poor) are scum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
As long as you give the able bodied jobs they can live on if not you are not helping them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
That's exactly how Planned Parenthood got started.
Yup. Margaret Sanger took a play from someone else's book to start that lil program up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
You end poverty by giving unskilled poor people what?
A job, an education, a skill, a trade, something that can give them the ability to make money and get off welfare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
This is America. It's not Bangladesh or Uzbekistan or Bolivia. In the United States of America people are poor because: A) They choose to be poor or because B) they do not know any better.
You forgot a few. Like the people that lost their jobs due to the economy, people that were disabled and can't get jobs, and people that can't keep a job due to family illness, just to name a few.

Quote:
Our government has many programs available to improve the quality of life for "poor people", most notably financing for higher education. Any "poor" person can apply for, and receive college loans and grants to cover expenses not only for "traditional" college but for vocational programs as well.
Are you against keeping those programs in place to eventually reduce the amount of people that are poverty level? There is evidence to prove that parents that have a higher education have children that place a higher emphasis on education and doing better in general.

Quote:
My thoughts are that if a person does not take full advantage of the opportunities that are available to improve the quality of their life, then they should not be given subsidy to simply mooch off of society for the remainder of their lives. At the very least they should be required to contribute some time of gainful service for the check that they receive.
So you are in favor of people that are recieving benefits and learning a trade/gaining a degree/learning a skill? I know in this state, those people that recieve a welfare check must work a certain amount of hours each week or loose their check.

Quote:
Persons who are mentally incapable, of course would be taken care of. Persons with TRUE disabilities (not just pretend ones), should be taken care of but still expected to contribute to society in some way, if only as tutors or some other way that does not interfere with their disability.

20yrsinBranson
I wish it were that easy for some. One of my dear friends has been in a wheelchair since he was in his teens. He has two degrees in some sort of computer science and still can't get a job. He has been told to his face, he is unhirable for factory work due to OSHA regulations! How is that fair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
I agree that we should prioritize our giving to people who truly need it, and give people incentives to getting off public assistance, and not penalize those who are bettering themselves by cutting off some assistance too soon.

Work training/GED/skilled trade programs should be linked with continued benefits. There should be a better "transition" period, where if you get a minimum wage job (or two...) and are now a working poor, you will not lose your health insurance etc...... which you certainly will not get from most low paying jobs. I see that the current Obamacare would help with that actually. You would pay what you can afford towards your premiums.

I see a problem with cutting off aid from children..... Mothers should still have requirements to do the training that I mention above.

And of course, the truly disabled should be helped. People who have severe health problems and are poor are the truly destitute. However, I still strongly encourage programs that allow the disabled incentives to work as well - even if it is part time, working from home in the age of the computer etc...
Well said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
We need eugenics to eliminate poverty and social welfare programs to help those who slipped through the cracks
I hope you are kidding, but I suspect you are serious, and all I can say is that is sick.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:29 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,846,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
LOL Are you serious? From what I hear (plenty of Brit expats where I'm living) and read Brits (not immigrants) are pretty tired of the welfare state it's becoming, similar to the US. Especially the ease the commit welfare fraud.

Maybe you have been away too long. March 6, 2012 article in the Daily Mail:

[SIZE=5][/SIZE]

Read more:Why Britain's fallen out of love with the welfare state | Mail Online
Well we do know exactly what the Daily Mail is all about in the UK and very few take that rag seriously..... Bit like Fox news here.
I go back to the UK often.. a least twice a year and i know exactly what Brits think of the benefit system. Like all systems we get people who abuse it but generally we know that it is needed and we DON'T have any problems paying for the more needy.... unlike here.
In NO way is the UK benefit system like the patched up mess in the USA.
The welfare programs for the poor created by Sir Willaim Beveridge and President Teddy Roosevelt had the same principles and pretty much mirrored each other. The initial intent of each is no longer apparent, as the programs were not meant to be a way of life, but temporary for people to get back on their feet. The initial intent for borth countries was the same, the current result in both countries is also the same. IMO, Britain has been and still is far more generous that the US had been or is today.
We in the UK do not look upon Social Security as being "generous" but as a much needed safety net for our bad times..... yes OUR because we are all in this together unlike tthe elite in the USA who feel the poorer Americans are some kind of seperate entity........ NO they are NO different to anyone else but having problems and..."there but for the grace of god go I"...... remember that!

I believe it is America's duty to help those in genuine need. Go back to the original intent of the programs and/or write the massive welfare reforms that are needed. Those who are working and find it hard to make ends meet are deserving, those able to work should be made to work, even if it's part-time to contribute to their wellbeing, or learn a skill or get a degree. Those who are physically or mentally unable to provide for themselves are in genuine need.
And YOU feel that you can decide who is needy and who isn't?
Love it when i hear these "tin pot dictators" on here deciding who they feel qualify for help when times are bad....... Rediculous!

Old 04-03-2012, 06:37 AM

America is now a microcosm of the Titanic ship..............
We have the wealthy first class "passengers" who feel that their wealth sets them apart from the rest of the "ship" and make sure that the not so wealthy or poor stay in the bowels of the "ship" and must be greatful that they are on the "ship" (America) at all and must expect NOTHING but the scraps from the wealthy "passengers" table. As soon as there is a disaster (recession) the wealthy RUN for the lifeboats and don't give a damn that there are NO lifeboats for the poorer lower deck passengers...... "let them drown, who cares.... plenty more where they came from".
The American "Elite" really do have a lot to learn but they are in bliss living in ignorance.......
"If brains were dynamite, they wuldn't have enough to blow their ears off".

Old 04-03-2012, 06:50 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Other than your having to pay for it just what is so wrong with living off the dole except it is so little money? What is the difference between living off a government supplied dole and living off a private sector inheritance? Why is the source of the money so damn important? Why do all the "anti-poverty" programs concentrate on changing behavior instead of just getting the poor more income? Is there some form of repressed envy for some people making a living without working?

Old 04-03-2012, 06:58 AM

867 posts, read 498,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Help them, provide assistance and do all we can to end poverty

The problem with this one is that is what we have been doing and it does not work it is creating a even more needy group of people with no ambition what so ever to take care of themselves.
Yes, welfare is the human equivilant of "feeding the bears" - fosters dependence and engenders violence if the handouts are interrupted..

Old 04-03-2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles4evr View Post
Yes, welfare is the human equivilant of "feeding the bears" - fosters dependence and engenders violence if the handouts are interrupted..
So keeping the needy in absolute hopelessness is the way to go?
I would say that the backward attitude here that you foster dependency by having a decent welfare system is "feeding the bears" only fosters a selfish arrogant elitist attitude and indeed isn't "feeding the bears" but instead....
"poking the bears" and we ALL know what that leads to.......

Old 04-03-2012, 07:08 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Is there some form of repressed envy for some people making a living without working?
Haha, can't speak for anyone else, but I know there is with me! I know in a few years when my kid starts going to school, I'll probably have a newfound appreciation for the considerably larger income that comes from me having a job than that which welfare would provide. But so far, I still feel like I'd rather not have a job quite often!

But I'm on board to help the poor. And so long as there is that considerable difference in income between the working and the non-working, I don't think the working have much reason to complain. Being on welfare still means lacking, and I feel confident that it always will.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:18 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Other than your having to pay for it just what is so wrong with living off the dole except it is so little money? What is the difference between living off a government supplied dole and living off a private sector inheritance? Why is the source of the money so damn important? Why do all the "anti-poverty" programs concentrate on changing behavior instead of just getting the poor more income? Is there some form of repressed envy for some people making a living without working?

Because it someone elses money. If it didnt come from my tax $ I wouldn/t give a damn how someone lived.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:19 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles4evr View Post

You got that right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies