Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 09:52 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
The answer to this is probably no. So in that case, people aren't racist. What's the term for hating someone based on how they dress?

Not racist, more than likely prejuiced against anyone of color since it would not matter what they had on they would still be feared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

4,300 posts, read 4,406,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
This is very much true, but when a person of color is in a suit and white women STILL clutch their purses what is the excuse then?
They their thought process for self-preservation is very askewed. Probably just the way they were brought up/taught. No good reason for it either way.

374 posts, read 812,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
I think most of the profiling being done is more than the color of skin, but also the "uniform" we wear. When I was a teenager, I was into punk rock. I looked very much the part, yet I was offended when people looked at me weird or were scared of me. Once I became older (and somewhat wiser), I saw that I wanted to look like a weirdo, but not treated like one. Nowadays, the gangster look and jailhouse look (the low-riding baggy pants that inmates made fashionable) are common-place. Kids want to look like gangsters, but they don't want to be treated like one. Therein lies the problem. Can people be faulted for seeing someone who looks like a gangster and then treat them like one? White kids who dress like gangsters are just laughed at because everyone knows they aren't (they are just wannabees). But, when someone sees a hispanic or a black kid dressed that way - the probabilities are increased, that they may be an actual gangster. It is a form of discrimination, but it is also, very much, self-preservation. We all engage in some sort of decision process that involves probabilities based on various factors. Age, color, dress/appearance, demeanor are all valid forms of this. They can rail against this and call it racism (from the security of their penthouses, mansions, and gated communities), but we will always do it - everyone will despite our color or ethnicity.
I was going to comment, but I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head. Well said.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Well of course. I work in a white working class section of Baltimore. Sometimes on a nice day I'll walk from my office to the Subway. About a week ago, three white guys in "street" attire walked up behind me. They smelled of weed and their conversation led me to believe they weren't up to any good. I let them pass me, I wasn't about to have my back to them.

If you just take race into account than you're profiling wrong, you have to factor in clothes, language etc.

A weedhead attack someone? Thats funny since most of the time they can't remember what they were going to do

Old 04-02-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robeaux View Post
Evidence that *******s have completely made the word "racist" irrelevant.
Unless it happens to you

Old 04-02-2012, 09:56 AM

12,954 posts, read 13,665,225 times
finally ,something black people do that you approve of

Old 04-02-2012, 09:57 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,472,864 times
You know in the end it is the extent of the profiling. I think people have a problem when your profiling ends at say black male. If you were profile young black male with gang affiliated tatoos. That's is different. Some people can't see that.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:58 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Profiling is supposed to be this big bad evil racist thing yet Blacks do it too evidently. My father was a cab driver in DC and after having a gun put to his head by young black males he refused to pick them up.

Profiling by Walter E. Williams on Creators.com - A Syndicate Of Talent
I couldn't have guessed from more than half the threads you create about black people.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:13 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I couldn't have guessed from more than half the threads you create about black people.
EdwardA would discriminate against himself if he could since he is what he despises.

So from ALL of his anti-Black comments, one must assume that if the police beat him down Rodney King style, EdwardA would send them Thank You flowers for a job well done.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:18 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Exactly. I'm a big fan of making eye contact with people. When I find myself in not-so-appealing environments......whether here in the US or abroad......my instinct is to have a swivel neck and make strong eye contact with people I encounter. If they know i've located and identified them, the chances of that person doing something of ill-intent are decreased. I'm sure it doesn't hurt that i'm 6'3"+ and 200lbs.
Curious,but doesn't eye contact signal that you want a confrontation with them?
I was told by a crime prevention officer that you don't look people in the eye because the eyes show fear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies