Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 04:52 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles4evr View Post
I agree. If you subsdize the weak, you will have a society fully of weaklings as they out-procreate the sucessfull. Thinning the herd via competion and success AND failure, is essential.
♫All you need is love, la da da da da
♪All you need is love
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 04:53 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,876,874 times
I would just like to share one of my favorite quotes:
A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members. ~ Mahatma Ghandi

Old 04-03-2012, 04:56 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,163,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
I would just like to share one of my favorite quotes:
A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members. ~ Mahatma Ghandi
Social Darwinist have little use for Ghandi types, they prefer Gordon Geko quotes "Greed is good"

Old 04-03-2012, 04:57 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
That's something I can't answer with specificity. In fact, if there is one thing I would not mind the government spending billions upon billions of dollars on, it is education. My only point, if you read my post, is that some element of survival of the fittest will always be present in society, so it is not an issue of whether or not it is wrong, but how it is balanced with compassion.
I understand now, but surely in the context of this discussion, at first glance your post could be construed as agree with the op. My bad.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:00 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,775,391 times
According to actual Darwinism, Octomom and The Druggers are fitter than all of you

Old 04-03-2012, 05:06 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,861,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I understand now, but surely in the context of this discussion, at first glance your post could be construed as agree with the op. My bad.
Not a problem at all. It's not that I agree with the OP, I don't even have enough information to decide whether or not I do agree with the OP. I do not know his vision for America.

I do however know that any absolute position that "survival of the fittest is always bad" is one based purely on emotion and not logic, in which case the balance I referred to does not exist. That I know I can not agree with.

That combined with the inevitable likening of the OP to Hitler, and I just have to respond.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:11 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
This is a heavily-armed nation. Do you think that society's "losers" have some obligation to meekly accept their fate, no matter how grim it gets? I would guess that many would not go down quite so quietly. And if you have more than a few of those "rejectionist" individuals, the country could easily become ungovernable.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:17 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Why should productive people be goaded or made to feel guilty into supporting this nonsense?

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...onth-food.html

Old 04-03-2012, 05:19 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
This is a heavily-armed nation. Do you think that society's "losers" have some obligation to meekly accept their fate, no matter how grim it gets? I would guess that many would not go down quite so quietly. And if you have more than a few of those "rejectionist" individuals, the country could easily become ungovernable.
The poor will go down easily. Poverty in this country is highly correlated to IQ. The poor won't be much of an issue in any type of conflict.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:23 PM

46,955 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Well, changing society so that "better armed and organized" puts you on top isn't at all at odds with Social Darwinism. (Representative government arguably is.) If the philosophy is allowed to run its course on a national scale, feudalism tends to be the outcome. On a smaller scale - the Crips, the Bloods, some of the harder-core biker gangs - all firmly believe in weeding out the weak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies