Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2008, 11:04 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,866,968 times

Advertisements

I think many families think that they wife has to work, but if they made concessions, the wife could stay home. A bedroom for each same sex child, 3,000+ sf ft homes, a TV in every room, 3 bathrooms for 4 people, high end appliances, etc. etc. Some women do truly have to work but many wouldn't have to if the household wasn't so intent on "Keeping up with the Jones'". The size of a house and how much stuff it contains, has no positive bearing on raising children. There is also a cost to working. Transportation costs, work wardrobe, daycare, etc. When you deduct those costs and then cut back on other things, it may be possible to be home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 01:01 AM

4,563 posts, read 4,101,921 times
It also doesn't help that the cost of everything is skyrocketing as well as income inequality. Perhaps if the distribution of wealth was more equal, women wouldn't HAVE to work.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:49 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Do we really need career men in our society? Why can't men these days just stay home and take care of the house while women become all that they can be?

Can we acknowledge that due to the differences between genders, if women ran the world, war would be unheard of, poverty and need would be a thing of the past, and there would still be an earth left for future generations because there are very few women who going to develop an itchy trigger finger and nuke it into oblivion? Women are indeed better suited for certain tasks, among them, the ones that men have been screwing up for the last several thousand years.

Face it big boy. You don't live in a hunter gatherer society and it is no longer up to your woman to take care of you and your home while you go out and kill a wooly mammoth.

Women throughout history have spent enough time in Plato's Cave.

We're not going back.

Hello KELE and Well put!

Old 01-06-2008, 07:01 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,758,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Brunolesci View Post
Do we really need "career women" in our society, rather than traditional, normal, regular women who are more apt to take on more traditional roles? Why is it the goal of almost every woman these days to have a career, rather than simply be supportive of a man who acts as head of a household? Can we not acknowledge that there are indeed differences between the genders, and women are better suited for certain tasks than others, many of which differ from those of men?
Why are non-members allowed to post threads?

This is the most absurd post. I await to see the responses.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:19 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post

I think like many sexists he's quite a scared little person...hasn't been back to answer questions....

Old 01-06-2008, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post

I'm glad that this worked out for you. It would never work for me. Currently, between my man and I, I make more than double what he makes - I'm the pants. It wouldn't just be financial hardships if I quit, we wouldn't be able to live. Also, since he and I have differing schedules (I'm first shift, he's graveyard) we don't have to have a daycare raise our child - we can do that ourselves.
I reject the notion that "daycare raises our children". That is absolutely absurd. If that were the case, then my child wouldn't be teaching her pre-dominant spanish speaking caretaker new words.

Even while working full time, children get plenty of attention by parents who chose to interact with them.

It's only a recent phenomenon that children were raised by two parents. In the past, they were raised by siblings, parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, neighbors, cousins.i

Old 01-06-2008, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
Then you have those women in research professions where information changes so rapidly they would be too far out of the loop to return after the kids are off to school.
A women in any position who takes just two years off for maternity leave, if lucky, goes back to the same wage she was at when she left, and loses a ton of career momentum that equates to more than $500,000 in lost wages over a lifetime. (Since wage momentum is also part of the scenario).

Quote:
Also, as many people have mentioned, divorce rates are high. I know I'm not interested in having to seek government assistance because I didn't prepare for economic independence.
Why? You don't like the 'rugged individualists' telling you it is your own fault that you make bad decisions?

Old 01-06-2008, 07:38 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post

I believe he was a member at the time of the post (September).

If the MODS come down on a poster, and revoke their posting privileges, they show as a "non member"

Old 01-06-2008, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2kidsmom View Post
I like that my husband would work 5 jobs, if need be, so that I as a wife and mom can be here raising our babies. And I am a highly educated, liberated, former business owning, successful woman..... with two little babes.
You would like to be a person raising your children by yourself, with a husband that doesn't know their kids?

Old 01-06-2008, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
If you go back and actually read my post, I stated that I have no problem with you holding those values and having that point of view - I do have a serious problem with you casting categorical judgment as to what men and women are and are supposed to be.
No one would call my former Army Camo wearing husband a wimp. He loved staying home with our baby, and continues to love spending time with her. He's very nuturing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies