Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2008, 11:38 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
No. I read every single post in this thread, and replied to them in sequence as I was reading the thread. Isn't that normal when you pick up a thread that has been underway for some time without you?
Not in my experience. But, hey, I'm not telling you how to post, I just thought it was kinda funny, in a way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 03:14 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,755,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
That's ok

The car she was driving was hit by a drunk driver - our son (our first born) was killed instantly. My wife, pregnant with our second child, had to be put on life support - I was given a choice - to abort the child and save my wife or, save the child and let my wife die.

My wife would have been very proud of her son today - VERY proud.
A tough choice where one can never know what they would chose, until they are in it.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:16 PM

307 posts, read 1,397,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Brunolesci View Post
Do we really need "career women" in our society, rather than traditional, normal, regular women who are more apt to take on more traditional roles? Why is it the goal of almost every woman these days to have a career, rather than simply be supportive of a man who acts as head of a household? Can we not acknowledge that there are indeed differences between the genders, and women are better suited for certain tasks than others, many of which differ from those of men?

Wow.. .this statement makes me a little furious. Why? It does sound sexist, degrading? Sometimes a woman has to take on the "masculine" role. A woman should not be limited to what she can do. Why does a man have to be the head of the household?

This is the 21st century, and Why is a woman's sex
Always under so much scrutiny.

Yes women can do things that men cannot do, and men cannot do certain things that women can. How about treating people as equal not setting "standards" for women.

Does a man have to be "Macho, masculine?" Roles that where considered "traditional" 50 years ago are not considered "Traditional or right" today.

If a woman wants to have a career why should she be stopped. Most people have the intellect to understand and percieve the actions that a woman makes. (That is of course the "Western Civilization" philosophy) But many European Countries have accepted the Western Philosophy when it comes to having equality of men and women. Will there always be prejudice regarding sex? of course.

I'm on the negative end of this debate, I'm sorry....

Old 01-06-2008, 09:23 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliy Plashik View Post
Wow.. .this statement makes me a little furious. Why? It does sound sexist, degrading? Sometimes a woman has to take on the "masculine" role. A woman should not be limited to what she can do. Why does a man have to be the head of the household?

Yes women can do things that men cannot do, and men cannot do certain things that women can. How about treating people as equal not setting "standards" for women.

Does a man have to be "Macho, masculine?" Roles that where considered "traditional" 50 years ago are not considered "Traditional or right" today.

If a woman wants to have a career why should she be stopped. Most people have the intellect to understand and percieve the actions that a woman makes. (That is of course the "Western Civilization" philosophy) But many European Countries have accepted the Western Philosophy when it comes to having equality of men and women. Will there always be prejudice regarding sex? of course.

Why are you apologizing? Cut it out....women do that too much. It was your opinion, you have nothing to apologize for.
And the OP didn't just sound sexist it was..very.

To other posters

It may be interesting to exchange the words woman/women with "blacks", exchange man/men for "white" and gender with "races".....

...stick that burr under your saddle and see how well ya ride !

Old 01-06-2008, 09:53 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,713,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliy Plashik View Post

I agree with your argument for equality but at the same time I ask myself if women really think this way how come they don't evenly distribute themselves across the workforce? I am an engineering student and the guy to gal ratio at any engineering school is always heavily tipped towards guys... engineering requires only your mind... I think women have equal brain capacities so where are all of the women for engineering? Not only engineering but all areas of science and math... women clearly are not there in equal numbers...

Women also tend to shy away from "manual labor" jobs and skilled/trade work as well. Given the physical differences between men and women there is still plenty of manual/skilled labor that women are capable of doing that they just don't. Where are the women mechanics, landscapers, roofers, builders, plumbers, truck drivers, house painters, electricians, television repairers... When you ask most women this question they respond "well thats a guy thing..."

It's not men that are holding you back... its yourselves!

Old 01-06-2008, 09:58 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,713,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
To other posters

It may be interesting to exchange the words woman/women with "blacks", exchange man/men for "white" and gender with "races".....

...stick that burr under your saddle and see how well ya ride !
Wow, your real slick to discover a way to start such pointless arguing. Your comparing apples to oranges. Go ahead and exchange the words... you will find that nothing will make sense... nice try bleeding heart.

Old 01-07-2008, 04:38 AM

365 posts, read 699,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
I agree with your argument for equality but at the same time I ask myself if women really think this way how come they don't evenly distribute themselves across the workforce? I am an engineering student and the guy to gal ratio at any engineering school is always heavily tipped towards guys... engineering requires only your mind... I think women have equal brain capacities so where are all of the women for engineering? Not only engineering but all areas of science and math... women clearly are not there in equal numbers...

Women also tend to shy away from "manual labor" jobs and skilled/trade work as well. Given the physical differences between men and women there is still plenty of manual/skilled labor that women are capable of doing that they just don't. Where are the women mechanics, landscapers, roofers, builders, plumbers, truck drivers, house painters, electricians, television repairers... When you ask most women this question they respond "well thats a guy thing..."

It's not men that are holding you back... its yourselves!
good question, but how many men do you see applying as a stripper?...lol, furthermore, after reading more of these posts, Im AMAZED that some kids even can distinguish that their parents are even adults!

Old 01-07-2008, 07:19 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Could you enlighten me as to WHO decides what is " traditional, normal, regular" for women? Who decides which tasks are better for women ?

Let me guess....men. How convenient!!!!
And I bet MEN think women are more suited to the subservient, cooking, cleaning, child rearing, buy-YOUR-mom's-birthday-gift, entertain YOUR guests,wash YOUR clothes, run YOUR errands, serve-you-beer-while-YOU-lay-on-YOUR-butt, type of tasks ????

So sorry, but lots of us women were born with backbones and brains, and, upon seeing the condition of the world run by men, decided we'd better DO something....like take care of ourselves, for instance.

Oh, BTW, thank you and your fellow men for "allowing" us to vote...it was so nice of you! Ever so glad that was included in the list of tasks

PS: There ARE differences between the sexes...that doesn't mean one is less than the other.

Well, speaking as an educated, hopefully somewhat intelligent female, I will have to step in and say that I am the one that ultimately, after much discussion, decided to stay home and raise my kiddos and take care of the house. My husband, not anything like what you are painting here, would be supportive no matter what I do, but we both knew what was best for our children and family, and it was not a hard decision for us to make. No one "allows" or disallows me to do anything, especially my husband-- no man has ever decided what is right for me, I do that on my own. I do hope to go back to work when my kids are a little older, but right now, I am perfectly happy taking care of kids...and...cooking...and...what else did you say...?

Quote:
cooking, cleaning, child rearing, buy-YOUR-mom's-birthday-gift, entertain YOUR guests,wash YOUR clothes, run YOUR errands,
Don't know when the definition of marriage got so screwed up, but just a reminder to anyone who might be confused, it's a partnership. No one should be subservient to the other. If that occurs, as it sometimes does, we are all adults, and we can all decide to change things if necessary, no matter how drastic that change may be (i.e. walking away).

So, I am very happy doing those things you mentioned above, because in a partnership, my husband's guests are my guests, my husband's mom is my family, and clothes and cleaning are partially mine, too. I love to cook for my family and hope that some of our cooking traditions that my mom and grandma passed on to me will be passed on to my girls.

Quote:
serve-you-beer-while-YOU-lay-on-YOUR-butt, type of tasks ????
Quote:
Who decides which tasks are better for women ?

Let me guess....men. How convenient!!!!
Quote:
Oh, BTW, thank you and your fellow men for "allowing" us to vote...it was so nice of you!
What I dislike most is when posts like this paint women as nothing but helpless creatures who men enslave as housewives when that simply couldn't be further from the truth here in 2008. Many of us, seeing the horrors of adolescence today in our absent-parent-Nintendo-ruled society, realize that maybe, just maybe, what our mothers and our grandmothers did wasn't so bad after all--and that it isn't all about us and our careers anymore when we choose to bring babies into this world.

You can be a strong woman with a "backbone and brains" and raise your family the best way you know how. To me, it takes both of those qualities and more to get it done.

And just for grins, I can assure you, my husband knows better than to sit on his...er...butt...and ask me for a beer. If he drinks one (a rare occurrence) he knows he can get it himself.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:32 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Many of us, seeing the horrors of adolescence today in our absent-parent-Nintendo-ruled society
Well, I'd say it's more Microsoft and Sony and Mac...

My dad put me in daycare ever since his divorce with my mom. Because she was active duty navy and he had a shore job, he got myself and my sister. Because child support was FAR less than what the family enjoyed before the divorce, he started an at-home computer repair business.

Needless to say, my dad was never a big part of the daily routine. And I was left to my computer (he built from spare parts), game systems, and such. I think I turned out okay...

Old 01-07-2008, 07:57 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
OP - "Do we really need "career women" in our society, rather than traditional, normal, regular women who are more apt to take on more traditional roles? Why is it the goal of almost every woman these days to have a career, rather than simply be supportive of a man who acts as head of a household? Can we not acknowledge that there are indeed differences between the genders, and women are better suited for certain tasks than others, many of which differ from those of men?"

Most women, either through watching their mother’s get economically devastated by divorce or by experiencing it themselves, have learned that men cannot be trusted to take care of them for an entire lifetime. A good education and the money make from a professional career are a much better bet for a good life and decent retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies