Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 08:02 PM

83 posts, read 220,374 times

Advertisements

Do we really need "career women" in our society, rather than traditional, normal, regular women who are more apt to take on more traditional roles? Why is it the goal of almost every woman these days to have a career, rather than simply be supportive of a man who acts as head of a household? Can we not acknowledge that there are indeed differences between the genders, and women are better suited for certain tasks than others, many of which differ from those of men?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 08:04 PM

5,764 posts, read 11,592,798 times
With the divorce rate at 50%, your average woman would be ill-advised not to have a means of making money on her own, along with some savings.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:19 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,294,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
With the divorce rate at 50%, your average woman would be ill-advised not to have a means of making money on her own, along with some savings.
Considering the divorce rate has increased as more women enter the workforce....

I'd like to see the divorce rate of "Working dad, stay at home mom", "Working mom, stay at home dad", and "Working dad, Working mom"

Old 09-13-2007, 08:26 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,744,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Brunolesci View Post
Do we really need "career women" in our society, rather than traditional, normal, regular women who are more apt to take on more traditional roles? Why is it the goal of almost every woman these days to have a career, rather than simply be supportive of a man who acts as head of a household? Can we not acknowledge that there are indeed differences between the genders, and women are better suited for certain tasks than others, many of which differ from those of men?
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w127/PerfectLinus/caveman.gif (broken link)

Old 09-13-2007, 08:28 PM

5,764 posts, read 11,592,798 times
Also, how many men are able to provide comfortably for a whole household on one income these days? What about health care costs? What about college and retirement savings? Modern life takes money.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:30 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,294,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Also, how many men are able to provide comfortably for a whole household on one income these days? What about health care costs? What about college and retirement savings? Modern life takes money.
That part is true.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:35 PM

2 posts, read 2,103 times
Um, how about first for the simple fact that in marriage there are no guarantee anymore. Second, many families need two incomes to make ends meet. Third, some women are well suited for their careers (I have worked with several female engineers and scientists who are, in my opinion, very well qualified). Fourth, not all women want children...my girlfriend and I have decided that our careers are more important to us (and it's not like we're hurting for children in this country). Fifth, people (of all genders) should be free to chose whatever career path they want...

Old 09-13-2007, 08:55 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,507,325 times
I can't argue against "career women"--I'm unable to, my personal feelings aside. I do understand there is a market for "mail order brides" from many Western men who DO object to "career women", and want something more "traditional"--but again, I can't comment on this, because I'm an enlightened "westerner", and I know that we ALL have the right to determine our own lives---men as well as women. I can't ask a woman to do something I wouldn't do, and I wouldn't want to be a "just a housewife" myself.

However, we'd ALL do well to remember that there are plenty of men who most certainly would, and do, tell women exactly what they are expected to do, and not to do. These men have no problem putting women "in their place", and taking extraordinary measures to ensure that they STAY there. And they have a large number of women who apparently agree with them.

It would be wise for us to all take a moment to consider all this before we move any closer to multiculturalism. Maybe we ought to slow down a bit, and think very carefully, about just how "multi" a culture we'd all be comfortable with. The decision we make might not be "reversible"....just a suggestion.

PS Any connection between the subject of this post and any of the major monotheistic religions of the Middle East is purely coincidental...

Last edited by macmeal; 09-13-2007 at 09:28 PM..

Old 09-13-2007, 09:15 PM

2,434 posts, read 6,658,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyouhuskies View Post
Um, how about first for the simple fact that in marriage there are no guarantee anymore. Second, many families need two incomes to make ends meet. Third, some women are well suited for their careers (I have worked with several female engineers and scientists who are, in my opinion, very well qualified). Fourth, not all women want children...my girlfriend and I have decided that our careers are more important to us (and it's not like we're hurting for children in this country). Fifth, people (of all genders) should be free to chose whatever career path they want...
I agree 100%.

But I would add I think if children today had a stay at home parent, either the mother or father, many of the problems we have with juvenile crime would disappear. What's the saying? "It takes a village to raise a child." Maybe it really takes to raise a child is a stay at home parent who takes an interest in their kids lives.

Sometimes in today's society I think the thugs, gang bangers on the street corner, and the television have more to say about how children are raised in America than the actual parents do.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:20 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,889,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adream View Post
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w127/PerfectLinus/caveman.gif (broken link)

LMAO....I told my self and others I'd stay out of this forum...lol...but this thread title caught my eye...
And then I about shorted out my keyboard when I spilled my coffee all over it after seeing the pic!! OMG, so fitting!...
Thanks for the laugh! ....whew....LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies