Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 08:57 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,679,931 times

Advertisements

I've never heard of a GOP politician speaking at the NAACP. Why is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 09:00 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,098,094 times
It would be a waste of time and money.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:04 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
The NAACP is no longer a dignified institution.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:27 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
No reason to speak to NAACP until a nominee is chosen. 90%+ of NAACP members support goes to the Democrats.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:33 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
If i'm not mistaken, some have and some haven't.

Still, at the end of the day it doesn't matter. No one is keeping score on the black side anyway. Turning down an invitation to speak to the NAACP is probably more of a plus to a GOP candidate than a minus. In fact, it increases their conservative bonafides if anything. It's a good thing to be seen doing. It's a nice way of "putting them in their place" so to speak without saying anything incendiary.

I don't take offense. First, because they have the right to speak to who they want to speak to. Secondly, i don't really care all that much about the NAACP. So it's no big deal at the end of the day.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:35 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I've never heard of a GOP politician speaking at the NAACP. Why is that?
you havent???

w bush:
Bush addresses NAACP meeting - politics - msnbc.com

J mccain:
2008 NAACP John McCain Speech - YouTube

M steele:
First black chairman of GOP Michael Steele woos NAACP at 100th birthday covention - New York Daily News

shall I search for more, to show your ignorance

Old 04-04-2012, 09:38 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The NAACP is no longer a dignified institution.
So they were dignified at one time?

When was that exactly? Under whose leadership?

It's always amazing how people will attribute "dignity" to you so long as someone has their foot on your neck, but when you have enough power to bark back, then you have no dignity anymore.

Typical.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:40 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,346,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

I think that was already defined with the "how come" in the thread title. Typically adults ask "why" where children whine "how come"

Old 04-04-2012, 10:03 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

It's always amazing how people will attribute "dignity" to you so long as someone has their foot on your neck, but when you have enough power to bark back, then you have no dignity anymore.

Typical.
I would suggest that the NAACP is arguably at their weakest point ever TODAY. They've got zero leverage and are being marginalized by political demographics as the years tick by.

The NAACP was very very respected and dignified from it's onset. They fought hard to overturn Jim Crow among many many other important victories. Then they fought segregation and so on and so forth.

In the 1990's though they had a number of incompetant and corrupt leaders and resulting scandals involving misappropriation of funds and other malfeasance. As a result they fired 80% of their staff.

National Association for the Advancement of Colored People - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fortunately Kweisi Mfume did a good job of cleaning up the NCAA both financially and also removing some racist scum like Alcorn that had snuck into the organization.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:18 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

Typical.
It's not exactly that - but they have become more of a political organization. To me, if they were for the advancement of colored people, that advancement would be their end goal regardless of the political means for such advancement. That doesn't seem to be the case right now.

There are black conservatives that are successful - why not court them as to how and why they are where they are?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies