Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2012, 07:29 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
In reality, not in government-speak, how separate are General Electric and General Motors, from Government, right now?
That is the problem. Though of course being a rightwinger you will bring up GM, and GE and ignore banking, finance and citizens united.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 07:29 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,044,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Personally if someone is going to drive drunk, or commit rape there is not much you can do until after the fact unless you are in the right place at the right time. However, if corporations start getting to cozy with government there is a big problem, you can see it from a mile away and you possibly can do something about.

I tend to agree with you about a lot of voters though. Not gonna comment on benefiting from corporations save to say that everyone benefits from strong corporations until they don't.
I suspect that it is preventable - although, at the end of the day, white collar crimes are more difficult to prosecute than "blue collar" crimes.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:30 PM

1,332 posts, read 994,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
at least the government is ELECTED by the people and it's main duty is the represent the people (though that doesn't always happen) and their main purpose is to help fix societal problems and help guide society. (and it doesn't always do this) but at least its the SETUP PURPOSE of the govenrment.

corporations answer TO THEMSELVES and the people DO NOT ELECT them and their sole purpose is SIMPLY to make money.. their PURPOSE has NOTHING TO DO with bettering society... sure they create jobs, but that's a BYPRODUCT of the whole making money thing.. it's not their purpose.

also, corporations already practically RUN a good portion of the government (you know that evil thing to be paranoid of)

why are people paranoid of the government but NOT CORPORATIONS?

makes no sense.
Corporations make no bones about what they are all about....the almighty $$....on the other hand, the government is able to fool people like you and make them believe that they are representing us..when in FACT, they are more greedy than corporations are.

Bottom line....at least when the Corporations make money, you know you are paying for something....when the government lines their pockets....they tell you that they are helping you.

1,058 posts, read 1,159,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
As long as government and corporations are separate sure. When they get together then you get problems. If you doubt this just google Company rule in India. The problem now is corporations are seeking a much wider role in government.
Well using your example essentially proves my point. The corporations need the government in order to legitimize what they are doing. Heck, to even call yourself a corporation you need to file articles of incorporation with some government.

In contrast, while a goverment or more specifically politicians may court corporations for money or perhaps jobs their very legitimacy does not depend upon corporations.

1,569 posts, read 2,044,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Microsoft is xBox360. Sony is PS3.
I do believe that was the point. Reminds me of some video game or movie, where corporations wage war against each other...

Old 04-04-2012, 07:32 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,159,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Microsoft is xBox360. Sony is PS3.
That's the point. I don't think Microsoft would want to put their own customers in camps, do you?

Edit
Opps didn't see the post above...

Old 04-04-2012, 07:33 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
Well using your example essentially proves my point. The corporations need the government in order to legitimize what they are doing. Heck, to even call yourself a corporation you need to file articles of incorporation with some government.

In contrast, while a goverment or more specifically politicians may court corporations for money or perhaps jobs their very legitimacy does not depend upon corporations.
Your ignoring my point. Yes the government is powerful. The thing is Corporations are also powerful. When they are at odds with each other things are pretty much fine. When government and corporations get together they become a monster. When governments take over corporations you get Communism, when corporations take over governments you get nabobism. The only thing they have in common is that they are responsible for the worst famines the world has seen.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:34 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
That's the point. I don't think Microsoft would want to put their own customers in camps, do you?
Nope because then no one would be around to buy the next "killer game".
I'm not paranoid of corporations..they are out to make a buck and actually need us for our money.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:34 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
"Why are people so paranoid of the government but not the corporations?"

American society conditioning.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:40 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
This is what happened to Atlanta residents when city water service was sold off to private contractors:

Atlanta, with more than 500,000 residents, says it already has the highest water rates of any major city in the United States, due in part to federal consent decrees to overhaul the city's water supply infrastructure.

Source: EPA.gov

Many of the problems arose after the installation of new, automated water meters, which began nearly five years ago, and involved contracts for meter installations, the electronic meters and software equipment.
The automated meter-reading technology eliminates the need for city workers to manually check every meter. Instead, they retrieve the data by driving by each property. The meter electronically transmits data showing the amount of water used.
From the beginning, there were problems.
In 2007, city auditors found they were "unable to verify electronic meter readings" because of "meter read errors, equipment failures or human errors."
Specifically, the audit said "about 9% of the meters could not be read due to broken or malfunctioning equipment."
I thought we were sinking in a hole of water. It scared me to death. I thought we had a major leak when I got the bill.
--Debbi Scarborough, Atlanta residential water customer

AtlantaTwo years later, another audit concluded that a "high number of accounts" were not getting "actual meter readings" because of "meter read errors, equipment failures or human errors."

a few people got bills for a montly water bill of over $7,000.00

Skyrocketing water bills mystify, anger residents - CNN.com
The problem with companies taking ownership and making a profit on "our inherent right to nature's gift:"

Quote:
When private companies try to make large profits through high water prices, it denies the poor the inalienable right to the most necessary substance for life.
Water is Life - Water Privatization Conflicts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies