Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2012, 08:14 PM

23,532 posts, read 17,208,400 times

Advertisements

In what communist country does the OP reside?

Govt conscripts our money and wastes it in a long tradition of misuse and then wants more. The govt sends us to war willing to sacrifice lives for dubious reasons.

Some corporations like big pharma provide life saving drugs and are a good investment for a 401k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 08:22 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,159,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Well if you had bothered to read my link you would see that the East India company was responsible for 2 famines worse then the Holodomor within 10 years of each other. That's right, 2 separate famines each worse then Stalin's terror famine in the Ukraine.

But hey there is no problem with government and corporations joining together.
Well let me put it a different way, as separate entities which do you think is worse?

Old 04-04-2012, 08:24 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
Well let me put it a different way, as separate entities which do you think is worse?
If they are kept separate I think both can be a force for good especially if they both prevent the other from gaining too much influence.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:27 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
at least the government is ELECTED by the people and it's main duty is the represent the people (though that doesn't always happen) and their main purpose is to help fix societal problems and help guide society. (and it doesn't always do this) but at least its the SETUP PURPOSE of the govenrment.

corporations answer TO THEMSELVES and the people DO NOT ELECT them and their sole purpose is SIMPLY to make money.. their PURPOSE has NOTHING TO DO with bettering society... sure they create jobs, but that's a BYPRODUCT of the whole making money thing.. it's not their purpose.

also, corporations already practically RUN a good portion of the government (you know that evil thing to be paranoid of)

why are people paranoid of the government but NOT CORPORATIONS?

makes no sense.
This can't be a serious question........

Old 04-04-2012, 08:29 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
If they are kept separate I think both can be a force for good especially if they both prevent the other from gaining too much influence.
Once you understand government must rely on violence as a means to achieve its ends, it becomes very clear that it cannot be a "force for good".

Old 04-04-2012, 08:32 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,159,435 times
Quote:
Wow way to dodge my question.

Taken seprate which is WORSE.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Once you understand government must rely on violence as a means to achieve its ends, it becomes very clear that it cannot be a "force for good".
Without government thuggery and violence is what happens I will take a country with a government over one without in almost all scenarios.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
Wow way to dodge my question.

Taken seprate which is WORSE.
That is like asking is a chair or sofa worse. I don't think either is worse. They are entirely different.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:36 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,043,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
So using force to apprehend and incarcerate a violent rapist is a bad thing?

Old 04-04-2012, 08:53 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,015,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
I am very aware of govt subsidies, however doesn't mean I am in favor of them. Aren't you a libertarian? If so your view surprises me.
I am a proud member of the Libertarian Party. And I am not the only
one there that wants a single payer system. It is not the party platform, to
support big government, I agree.

But, what we have today is a combination of Corporate Medicine and
Socialized Medicine intermixed, at the disadvantage of the most
productive members of society. I don't use Corporate Medicine in the
same sentence as the word Libertarian.
There is not an ounce of private enterprise in it.

I too, want the government as small as possible

But, the constitution gives our legislation branch the right to raise and support Armies, and the power to tax for the general welfare of its citizens.
I can't think of anything that describes the general welfare of a country more than its citizens' general health.
Without it, we can not have happiness, or pursuit of, or be productive members of our society.
That hasn't changed since the beginning of this nation.

If I was allowed to vote on it in the '60's, I would not have voted
for Medicare for a select group, over age 65.
Either all, or None.
At this point in time, I'm voting All, because it makes the most
economical sense. And yes, it would be constitutional.

I'm willing to pay a Medicare Payroll Tax for a single payer national
health care system. Does it make me less libertarian?
Do you really think a libertarian gives a ****
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies