Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2012, 09:03 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,159,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
That is like asking is a chair or sofa worse. I don't think either is worse. They are entirely different.
Okay putting yet another way, taken as separate entities with each entity which is capable of producing more harm, a corporation or a government?

I think you know the answer, but you simply are too stubborn to concede the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 09:06 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
Who ever controls the cash supply has more effect..corporations are getting close to being secondary governments----------------------unelected...and that can mean the fall of democracy.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:13 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
Okay putting yet another way, taken as separate entities with each entity which is capable of producing more harm, a corporation or a government?

I think you know the answer, but you simply are too stubborn to concede the point.
If taken alone generally with one government vs one corporation a government is obviously more capable of producing harm since it is more powerful. A government is also more capable of doing good.

But the mere ability to do harm or good is not indicative of whether something is better or worse. For example a CEO is more powerful then a child. Thus the CEO is more capable of doing harm, but that does not mean the CEO is worse then the child, just more powerful.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:29 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,861,475 times
I really have to wonder what kind of fantasy world people live in, when the fact that there is corporate influence in government is an argument for the point that corporations are bad, but government is good.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:34 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
I really have to wonder what kind of fantasy world people live in, when the fact that there is corporate influence in government is an argument for the point that corporations are bad, but government is good.
because the progressive mind believes that government is always just a few tweaks, laws,regulations etc. away from being perfect.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:36 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,932,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I am a proud member of the Libertarian Party. And I am not the only
one there that wants a single payer system. It is not the party platform, to
support big government, I agree.

But, what we have today is a combination of Corporate Medicine and
Socialized Medicine intermixed, at the disadvantage of the most
productive members of society. I don't use Corporate Medicine in the
same sentence as the word Libertarian.
There is not an ounce of private enterprise in it.

I too, want the government as small as possible

But, the constitution gives our legislation branch the right to raise and support Armies, and the power to tax for the general welfare of its citizens.
I can't think of anything that describes the general welfare of a country more than its citizens' general health.
Without it, we can not have happiness, or pursuit of, or be productive members of our society.
That hasn't changed since the beginning of this nation.

If I was allowed to vote on it in the '60's, I would not have voted
for Medicare for a select group, over age 65.
Either all, or None.
At this point in time, I'm voting All, because it makes the most
economical sense. And yes, it would be constitutional.

I'm willing to pay a Medicare Payroll Tax for a single payer national
health care system. Does it make me less libertarian?
Do you really think a libertarian gives a ****
Everybody is an individual. Just thought it a bit diff than most Libertarian views. Constitutional is debatable though. Depending on interpretation.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:20 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
because the progressive mind believes that government is always just a few tweaks, laws,regulations etc. away from being perfect.
Yep. Everything will be fine if we just throw a few more dollars at it.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:30 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Everybody is an individual. Just thought it a bit diff than most Libertarian views. Constitutional is debatable though. Depending on interpretation.
If you put a couple libertarians in a room, the only thing they'd
agree on is that they are Libertarian

Remember, I did say All or None.

If Congress would repeal the 16th Amendment,
get rid of Medicare, Medicaid & All other federal paid/run
health care programs, I'd be open to that too because it would
mean we just had "private enterprise".

But that aint happening, and I don't think any other citizen
is more entitled to affordable, let alone free health care,
by the federal government, simply because they belong to a "select group"
from any another citizen who does not.

Last edited by pollyrobin; 04-04-2012 at 10:44 PM..

Old 04-04-2012, 10:35 PM

359 posts, read 329,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Nah man, just that you have to change government in accordance with changing circumstances and conditions.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:08 PM

867 posts, read 498,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
at least the government is ELECTED by the people and it's main duty is the represent the people (though that doesn't always happen) and their main purpose is to help fix societal problems and help guide society. (and it doesn't always do this) but at least its the SETUP PURPOSE of the govenrment.

corporations answer TO THEMSELVES and the people DO NOT ELECT them and their sole purpose is SIMPLY to make money.. their PURPOSE has NOTHING TO DO with bettering society... sure they create jobs, but that's a BYPRODUCT of the whole making money thing.. it's not their purpose.

also, corporations already practically RUN a good portion of the government (you know that evil thing to be paranoid of)

why are people paranoid of the government but NOT CORPORATIONS?

makes no sense.
This question makes no sense. Government is force - corporations are strictly voluntary.

Last edited by Beatles4evr; 04-05-2012 at 12:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies