Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2012, 11:10 PM

700 posts, read 637,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
Okay putting yet another way, taken as separate entities with each entity which is capable of producing more harm, a corporation or a government?

I think you know the answer, but you simply are too stubborn to concede the point.
The corporate world operates (not a lone corporation) where there's no oversight, checks and balances, transparency, recourse, judicature for the consumer outside of the government. Whether it operates as stated is another matter but part of the role of government is to protect the consumer from a corporate world whose sole purpose is to maximize profits. We've seen what happens with government deregulation; e.g. Enron and the PSLRA. What happens when government oversight is removed entirely from the equation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 11:12 PM

867 posts, read 498,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Who ever controls the cash supply has more effect..corporations are getting close to being secondary governments----------------------unelected...and that can mean the fall of democracy.
Unless the sky falls first!!!

Old 04-04-2012, 11:12 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dood912 View Post
Nah man, just that you have to change government in accordance with changing circumstances and conditions.
Until government itself becomes the main driving factor behind the changing circumstances and conditions.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:28 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,574,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
The purpose then still is to make money. Government and corporation are and always have been the same thing.
the government's CHARTERED intent is NOT to make money but to run the country, be a voice for the people and to help solve societies problems. making money is simply a BYPRODUCT OF THIS,

with corporations it's the other way around, making money is their CHARTERED intent with helping others might be a BYPRODUCT to this.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:32 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,574,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
This can't be a serious question........
you republicans are so darn evil and hypocritical. YOU CLaIM to want 'independence' but at the same time the ONE vehicle you have to CONROL your lives you think is evil and the CORPORATIONS which you have NO control over you're FINE giving up all your power too..

Are all republicans high up corporate people? or are they just stupid, irritating, and spiteful.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:35 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
the government's CHARTERED intent is NOT to make money but to run the country, be a voice for the people and to help solve societies problems. making money is simply a BYPRODUCT OF THIS,

with corporations it's the other way around, making money is their CHARTERED intent with helping others might be a BYPRODUCT to this.
Making money is the reward for helping others. The baker gets money because people want his bread and are volunteering to pay for it. The government is dropping bombs on civilians from money that I did not volunteer to pay for. Intentions are what they are: intentions. The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Government is evil.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:42 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,824,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
at least the government is ELECTED by the people and it's main duty is the represent the people (though that doesn't always happen) and their main purpose is to help fix societal problems and help guide society. (and it doesn't always do this) but at least its the SETUP PURPOSE of the govenrment.

corporations answer TO THEMSELVES and the people DO NOT ELECT them and their sole purpose is SIMPLY to make money.. their PURPOSE has NOTHING TO DO with bettering society... sure they create jobs, but that's a BYPRODUCT of the whole making money thing.. it's not their purpose.

also, corporations already practically RUN a good portion of the government (you know that evil thing to be paranoid of)

why are people paranoid of the government but NOT CORPORATIONS?

makes no sense.
you decide to do business with a corporation, government forces you to do business with them. when was the last time a corporation levied a tax against your property, and then siezed it when you didnt pay that tax? when does a corporation kick your door open, hold you and your family at gun point while they search your property looking for what ever they decide they are looking for, and then decide that their confidential informant was wrong and they say sorry for the inconvenience? how many corporations pull you over for a traffic violation, and then threaten to send you to jail if you dont answer their questions? how many corporations make laws that you have to follow or become a criminal?

Old 04-04-2012, 11:46 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,838,107 times
I can choose to give my money to corporation. I am forced to give it to the government under penalty of prison. Corporations cannot take away my freedom or put me to death. I fail to see the leap in logic that corporations are even remotely as powerful as you are arguing OP. Btw, I am an owner of a small corporation. If I do not offer good service or product, I would quickly be out of business. The people truly have the power over corporations. Whether or not they are too lazy, incompetent, or unable to look past slick advertising to excercise that power is another discussion. Larger corporations do have more power than a business such as mine obviously, but there are plenty of examples of large corporations that no longer exist due to mistakes on their part. When the government makes a mistake, someone may get voted out, but is replaced with basically a carbon copy unable or unwilling to change anything. It is a shell game that we are forced to pay for.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:07 AM

700 posts, read 637,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
Making money is the reward for helping others. The baker gets money because people want his bread and are volunteering to pay for it. The government is dropping bombs on civilians from money that I did not volunteer to pay for. Intentions are what they are: intentions. The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Government is evil.
Making money is the reward for providing a product or service; not helping others. If that were the intention, the baker's products would be free. The baker wants to make money. If left to his own devices, free from interference, the baker would buy up all the flower and yeast and charge 150 bucks per loaf.

When the government is dropping bombs on civilians from money that you did not volunteer to pay for, it's working outside its intent.

When an arms supplier is providing the equipment to the government to drop bombs on civilians from money that you did not volunteer to pay for, it's working exactly as intended.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:24 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,558,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dood912 View Post
Nah man, just that you have to change government in accordance with changing circumstances and conditions.
Which appears to be every five seconds with progressives with little to no regard to other views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies