Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2012, 08:04 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,748,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Side note... we have a Dallas County councilman (Radical & Black) that threw a hissy fit a few years ago when someone mentioned "Throwing money down a Black Hole". Apparently the guy never watched the science channel about black holes in the universe.

Need a new term for Black Holes since it's now a Racial Slur.
Lack of education, no suprises here, maybe we should call them ''space cavities''.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:11 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,500,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Maybe I've not been paying enough attention but no media, no paper, no tape has even hinted at this slur. If that's what was said; MSNBC, NBC, CNN etc would have been all over it
I don't watch tv news, so I can't say which networks were pushing the racial slur angle. From links on this and other sites, it was that CNN Tuchman guy and his 'enhanced' audio that 'proved' gz used the slur. I can't imagine they didn't replay that audio over and over.

Now we see the same guy and a much-improved super-duper-enhanced audio doesn't prove the slur. How come they didn't do the super-duper audio to begin with, and will they next week find there's an As Seen On TV better than ever audio enhancement miracle product

Old 04-05-2012, 08:34 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,111,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Theres a big difference between an arrest and a conviction anyway. The FACT is had he been a convicted of domestic violence or anything similar he would not have had a permit to carry. But regardless nothing in his past has much to do with that night.

I know this wasnt directed at me, but I feel I'm being objective. I have two boys and can certainly sympathize with Trayvons parents. But I'm also a home owner in a neighborhood where people get robbed. Personally I'v had vehicles broken into several times in my yard & things stolen from my porch. If I see a strange person, young or old, black or white, walking on my street at night in the rain and feel like watching him I will, if I feel like walking down the street to see whats up I will. The way I see it, the way any impartial rational person should see it, is I have as much right to be on the street as anyone else. My presence on a street after dark in the rain is NO justification for an assault on my person, if I engage that person in dialog its still no justification for an assault. You guys seem to think that because this Zimmerman decided to follow Trayvon he deserved to be attacked? You think that because he confronted him, which by the way is suggested by nothing we have seen on the episode yet, but you think that if he confronted him that was reason for attack? Yet being attacked was not justification for Zimmerman to defend himself? Seems absurd, its ok to jump somebody for being behind you at night on a public street, and its ok to attack somebody because they asked you a question, but its not ok to respond to a violent attack with violence.

What I took away from this & told my sons was dont put yourself in such a position if you can help it, if you find yourself in such a position act intelligently. If an adult asks you what your up to just say I'm coming home from the store, if you are afraid dial 911, if you really think somethings going on get out of there. This young man did none of these common sense things. When he first saw Zimmerman on the phone watching him he could have simply said "Can I help you" and difused the situation, instead he ran. He could have kept running & gotten away, instead he either laid in wait or came back. He could have called 911, but instead he attacked a concerened citizen.

Mistakes were made by both of them. But at the end of the day I cant feel Zimmerman was wrong for defending himself once attacked. At that point everything that went on before is pretty irrelevant. What matters is how the fight itself actually started. Since Zimmerman had a gun it doesnt make sense that he would have attacked Trayvon, if anything he would have held him at gun point and Trayvon would have probably complied. Had that went on I'd say Zimmerman was definately wrong. But the fact is Zimmerman was being beaten by Trayvon and defended himself. I feel very safe saying thats what went on simply because the police let him go.
Its been a very long time since people were not charged for killing a black person simply because they were white, which is what the entire premise of Zimmermans guilt despite being released from custody is based on, and he's not even white.
What irritates me about posts such as this, is that whether you realize it or not, you are drawing your own conclusion based on what you imagined transpired. You tell a story and insert facts that thus far, have not been proven.

If we are going to speculate on what should have happened, it would have been very simple for Zimmerman to have either introduced himself as the neighborhood watch and asked Trayvon who he was or not pursued him at all after calling 911.

You are also assuming that Zimmerman's story was factual as to the severity of his beating and his crying for help. Well thus far, this alleged brutal, life threatening beating and the verification of the voice on the tape is not panning out to be aligned with his version of the story.

Many professional law enforcement people have agreed that there was enough probable cause to warrant an arrest and further investigation.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:47 AM

24,385 posts, read 23,038,396 times
I'd still like to see Zimmerman brought up on charges because he in all likelihood didn't need to shoot Martin. The racism aspect has mostly imploded although the race baiters and hate merchants are still trying to rabble rouse and make what they can out of it for $$$. So what happened? A Barney Fife wannabe confronts a kid and an argument ensues. Maybe cooler heads could have prevented the escalation of hostilities. Zimmerman did have reason to suspect Martin but thats where it ended. And we don't know if Martin accosted Zimmerman or vice versa. That they haven't released more definitive findings points to that they have the facts but are weighing them very carefully so as to present them without causing a media circus or public outcry. It might come down to a civil case. Zimmerman also might have enough of a case to go after MSNBC, more power to him. MSNBC, or as I call them MSNDCV (MSNDeceive) has shown to be completley unprofessional and even slanderous in their biased attempts at journalism.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:17 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,264,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I don't watch tv news, so I can't say which networks were pushing the racial slur angle. From links on this and other sites, it was that CNN Tuchman guy and his 'enhanced' audio that 'proved' gz used the slur. I can't imagine they didn't replay that audio over and over.

Now we see the same guy and a much-improved super-duper-enhanced audio doesn't prove the slur. How come they didn't do the super-duper audio to begin with, and will they next week find there's an As Seen On TV better than ever audio enhancement miracle product
I don't believe the Fed's could be involved in this case unless there was something that violated federal laws. The one they used is that Trayvon was deprived of his civil rights because of his race. I believe the whole 'coon' lie was just to get the Fed's involved. Sure there is collateral damage in that they convinced a whole bunch of people that Zimmerman is a racist but that does not bother the Fed's one bit.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:08 AM

17,331 posts, read 14,601,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post

I'm waiting for the "experts" to compare a voice sample from Trayvon Martin to the screams on the tape. His parent's attorney said this past Sunday that they would be turning over a sample immediately. I haven't seen any reporting of that since.

Since Trayvon's father initially said the voice on the 911 call was not his son's voice, Zimmerman told police he was screaming (before he knew of the existance of the 911 tape) and witnesses reporting that Martin was on top of Zimmerman AND the police reports saying the injuries they witnessed on Zimmeran when they arrived on the scene ... I think the next thing we'll see is a recanting of the original "THAT'S NOT GEORGE ZIMMERMAN'S VOICE!!" news that we heard earlier.

Oh ... and add to that people have poked holes in the so-called "voice experts" since then, well ... the way this case has been going, I bet we'll hear something about those screams soon.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:16 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,111,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
I'm waiting for the "experts" to compare a voice sample from Trayvon Martin to the screams on the tape. His parent's attorney said this past Sunday that they would be turning over a sample immediately. I haven't seen any reporting of that since.

Since Trayvon's father initially said the voice on the 911 call was not his son's voice, Zimmerman told police he was screaming (before he knew of the existance of the 911 tape) and witnesses reporting that Martin was on top of Zimmerman AND the police reports saying the injuries they witnessed on Zimmeran when they arrived on the scene ... I think the next thing we'll see is a recanting of the original "THAT'S NOT GEORGE ZIMMERMAN'S VOICE!!" news that we heard earlier.

Oh ... and add to that people have poked holes in the so-called "voice experts" since then, well ... the way this case has been going, I bet we'll hear something about those screams soon.
Poked holes? Please elaborate.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:26 AM

17,331 posts, read 14,601,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Poked holes? Please elaborate.
I've posted links.

Other people have posted links.

Whether or not you choose to read them is up to you.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:30 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,370,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
According to reports he was 140lbs. I heard he was 6 feet, but 6'3 and 140llbs is a bean pole, hardly intimidating by any means. Now if he was 240lbs, that's a different story.
The police report lists TM at 6'0, and 160lbs.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:32 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,370,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Theres a big difference between an arrest and a conviction anyway. The FACT is had he been a convicted of domestic violence or anything similar he would not have had a permit to carry. But regardless nothing in his past has much to do with that night.

I know this wasnt directed at me, but I feel I'm being objective. I have two boys and can certainly sympathize with Trayvons parents. But I'm also a home owner in a neighborhood where people get robbed. Personally I'v had vehicles broken into several times in my yard & things stolen from my porch. If I see a strange person, young or old, black or white, walking on my street at night in the rain and feel like watching him I will, if I feel like walking down the street to see whats up I will. The way I see it, the way any impartial rational person should see it, is I have as much right to be on the street as anyone else. My presence on a street after dark in the rain is NO justification for an assault on my person, if I engage that person in dialog its still no justification for an assault. You guys seem to think that because this Zimmerman decided to follow Trayvon he deserved to be attacked? You think that because he confronted him, which by the way is suggested by nothing we have seen on the episode yet, but you think that if he confronted him that was reason for attack? Yet being attacked was not justification for Zimmerman to defend himself? Seems absurd, its ok to jump somebody for being behind you at night on a public street, and its ok to attack somebody because they asked you a question, but its not ok to respond to a violent attack with violence.

What I took away from this & told my sons was dont put yourself in such a position if you can help it, if you find yourself in such a position act intelligently. If an adult asks you what your up to just say I'm coming home from the store, if you are afraid dial 911, if you really think somethings going on get out of there. This young man did none of these common sense things. When he first saw Zimmerman on the phone watching him he could have simply said "Can I help you" and difused the situation, instead he ran. He could have kept running & gotten away, instead he either laid in wait or came back. He could have called 911, but instead he attacked a concerened citizen.

Mistakes were made by both of them. But at the end of the day I cant feel Zimmerman was wrong for defending himself once attacked. At that point everything that went on before is pretty irrelevant. What matters is how the fight itself actually started. Since Zimmerman had a gun it doesnt make sense that he would have attacked Trayvon, if anything he would have held him at gun point and Trayvon would have probably complied. Had that went on I'd say Zimmerman was definately wrong. But the fact is Zimmerman was being beaten by Trayvon and defended himself. I feel very safe saying thats what went on simply because the police let him go.
Its been a very long time since people were not charged for killing a black person simply because they were white, which is what the entire premise of Zimmermans guilt despite being released from custody is based on, and he's not even white.
Excellent, excellent post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.