Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2012, 04:08 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Why haven`t we heard the usual screeching from the NRA about why Travon martin should have had a gun to protect himself? After every other high profile shooting they call for more armed citizens. Just asking?
An excellent question, and you won't get a single reasonable response.
~cue the crickets~

Old 04-09-2012, 04:53 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
It's completely irrelevant who started the actual physical altercation. Zimmerman clearly stalked and accosted Martin. Under the best of conceivable circumstances for Zimmerman, he chose to kill someone because his target was besting him in the hand-to-hand battle resulting from Zimmerman's own actions. Martin had every right, legal and moral, to defend himself against Zimmerman's encroachment.

Unfortunately, this is what happens when a trigger-happy law enforcement wannabe derives his "authority" from racial paranoia and an ill-advised, redneck-inspired set of legal statutes.
Right. What is relevant is who reasonably believed he was in imminent danger of great bodily harm.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
For starters, since I'm not law enforcement, I won't be aggressively following a stranger who's doing nothing but minding their own business, provoking them to start a confrontation with me.

Zimmerman's actions were irresponsible. Plain and simple.
Is irresponsible action a felony or misdemeanor where you live ?

Old 04-09-2012, 05:13 AM

5,036 posts, read 5,137,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
It would appear that the Zimmerman apologists cannot discuss the specifics of the case; they will ignore links, deny the validity of links, cite
very little to support their case and post anything favorable to the idea that Zimmerman acted appropriately, even when they've had to make it up. You only have to mention that Zimmerman broke every neighborhood watch convention by carrying a weapon and it suddenly becomes a case of infringement on their Second Amendment rights. It's a great distraction from the information that comes out little by little, most of it damning to Zimmerman.
There will be very few people that wont admit that Zimmerman shouldve held back. HOWEVER, we still dont have all the facts. We still dont know exactly what happened. Did he turn back and head back to his car or not?

And let's remember something. The touting and cheerleading of this being "race" related by the media and celebs has been pathetic, disgraceful, and more importantly FALSE from what we know so far. Perhaps we may now even just not believe much of what the media says and wait for offical investigation to be done in florida.

I do wish they hurry up down there but at this point, I still dont want them to rush it. I want them to get it as right as they can. Seems to me if it's taking this long, they may not have that strong of a case. We will see.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:17 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I'm one of the 'experts' who has stated it's possible to have a broken nose and not know. Personal experience aside, ---

webMD--- You can break your nose during play, sports, accidents, fights, and falls. But it may be hard to tell if your nose is broken.

Mayo Clinic--- Signs and symptoms of a broken nose may appear immediately or may take up to three days to develop.

though I could give many sources, you'll reject any info consistent with the gz story.

As for the Dr., he used the word 'appears,' as he should, to cover his rear in case there's a medical report confirming a broken nose.
Those quotes are correct, as far as they go. I work in a doctor's office and we tell people to wait until the swelling has gone down, and then if the nose appears mis-shapen, to come in for treatment. However, there is usually some reason to believe the nose might be broken, e.g. bleeding, swelling, got hit in the nose. All we've heard officially is that Zimmerman had a bloody nose.

I will add, the three days are well past now.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
There will be very few people that wont admit that Zimmerman shouldve held back.
They must all be posting on this thread, in that case. There are plenty here.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:28 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
And if MARTIN went for the gun, and was shot inadvertently trying to get it?

Even trained police officers have been in that situation, and you would think that THEY as Healthy adults, would not need to shoot an unarmed youth, but if that youth goes for their gun, then what?

There is a lot we don't know, and as armchair quarterbacks, we cannot know what happened, and assuming to know only displays ignorance.
Zimmerman was NOT a cop!

And if he hadn't brought a gun NO one would be able to get it away from him!

AND it was TRAYVON who was yelling for help!!!!!!

AND Zimmerman LIED about that!

Old 04-09-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Those quotes are correct, as far as they go. I work in a doctor's office and we tell people to wait until the swelling has gone down, and then if the nose appears mis-shapen, to come in for treatment. However, there is usually some reason to believe the nose might be broken, e.g. bleeding, swelling, got hit in the nose. All we've heard officially is that Zimmerman had a bloody nose.

I will add, the three days are well past now.
I don't know if his nose was broken. I'm really responding to anyone insisting you can tell from the video if it's broken or that he should have gone to the hospital that night because of it. Since you work in a Dr. office, you'll know there are degrees of 'breaks.'

Let's assume 2 things --- the report was accurate, gz had a bloody nose and the blood was his. That would be circumstantial evidence that he was punched, whether or not his nose was broken. By now the state attorney will have any medical records to support or contradict the nose hubbub.

In my opinion, a punch to the nose wouldn't justify the use of deadly force. The alleged head injury from banging on the ground is really the more important issue. That could place the bangee in imminent fear of great bodily harm and justify use of deadly force.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:48 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Default Sharpton a No-Show In Sanford

"It’s unclear why Sharpton chose to abandon supporters of calls for “Justice for Trayvon.” Neither National Action Network spokeswoman Rachel Noerdlinger nor MSNBC spokesman Jeremy Gaines responded to The Daily Caller’s requests for comment on why he broke his promise. The reason may be related to recent disclosures about the Martin shooting — facts which have not mirrored the point of view presented by Sharpton and his allies. Since Sharpton first promised he would occupy Sanford over Easter weekend, several elements of his favored storyline have fallen apart."

Al Sharpton | Trayvon Martin | Easter | Sanford, Florida | The Daily Caller

Those reasons are enumerated in the article.

1. Zimmerman is a registered Democrat
2. Gash in Zimmerman's head clearly visible on tape.
3. CNN audio experts walking back what they reported that Zimmerman said.
4. Spike Lee putting an elderly innocent couple in danger
5. NBC futzing with the tape that showed the 911 operator is the one that asked if Martin was black and Zimmerman said "I think he's black." Producer fired.
6. Zimmerman, led demands for justice for the victim and against police officers stemming from the beating of a homeless black man by a white police officer’s son.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
"It’s unclear why Sharpton chose to abandon supporters of calls for “Justice for Trayvon.” Neither National Action Network spokeswoman Rachel Noerdlinger nor MSNBC spokesman Jeremy Gaines responded to The Daily Caller’s requests for comment on why he broke his promise. The reason may be related to recent disclosures about the Martin shooting — facts which have not mirrored the point of view presented by Sharpton and his allies. Since Sharpton first promised he would occupy Sanford over Easter weekend, several elements of his favored storyline have fallen apart."

Al Sharpton | Trayvon Martin | Easter | Sanford, Florida | The Daily Caller

Those reasons are enumerated in the article.

1. Zimmerman is a registered Democrat
2. Gash in Zimmerman's head clearly visible on tape.
3. CNN audio experts walking back what they reported that Zimmerman said.
4. Spike Lee putting an elderly innocent couple in danger
5. NBC futzing with the tape that showed the 911 operator is the one that asked if Martin was black and Zimmerman said "I think he's black." Producer fired.
6. Zimmerman, led demands for justice for the victim and against police officers stemming from the beating of a homeless black man by a white police officer’s son.
So cherry pick a few incidents and say these are the "reasons", w/o interviewing Sharpton himself. I'm not defending the guy, mind you, just sayin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies