Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2012, 10:58 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times

Advertisements

Wow I just heard this on Geraldo today. Unbelievable. One day before the scheduled grand jury...no arrest, and now no Grand Jury

Their case must be weaker that wet tissue paper.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1058605

Old 04-09-2012, 11:03 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Here's what the Huffpo says:

Trayvon Martin death won't go to Fla. grand jury

Corey said her decision to skip the grand jury shouldn't be considered a factor in determining whether charges will be filed against George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watch volunteer who has admitted to fatally shooting the unarmed Martin.

The announcement means the decision on charges now rests solely with Corey, who had a reputation for not presenting cases before grand juries if it wasn't required. Under Florida law, only first-degree murder cases require the use of grand juries.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:04 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times

Interesting. I wonder if you above my post read the article. It states that in FL that only first degree murder charges require a grand jury and that the state's prosecutor had already indicated that she may not go to the grand jury because she felt she had enough evidence to go forward without one. All in all, this may mean they are done investigating and will arrest Zimmerman soon.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:05 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needTXinfo View Post
Don't know if everyone heard, but special prosecutor decided against sending this to the grand jury.

This is getting interesting....looks like they didn't have enough to indict him, and they're still trying to build a "case."
Someone is getting nervous. I bet the special prosecutor is wondering how did she get this cluster in her lap.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Interesting. I wonder if you above my post read the article. It states that in FL that only first degree murder charges require a grand jury and that the state's prosecutor had already indicated that she may not go to the grand jury because she felt she had enough evidence to go forward without one. All in all, this may mean they are done investigating and will arrest Zimmerman soon.
LOL. So why not charge him now? Why not charge him last week or the week before? Read between the lines.

A few weeks ago she said she would charge Zimmerman before the grand jury date if the evidence was there otherwise she would take it to the grand jury. The grand jury date is upon is now she has yet to charge him and now won't even take it to the grand jury.

A grand jury is not only used for first degree cases but to provide political cover especially in cases like these. The fact that she won't even go this route suggests they have no case and are just dragging this out because of politics. Maybe she wants to give time for the Governor to get the National Guard into place?

Old 04-09-2012, 11:09 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
You armchair attorneys need to sit back and let the justice system do its job. It's slow. I'd find it terribly frustrating, which is why I didn't go into law (no patience). I just heard something on the radio about the Jerry Sandusky issue; still no trial and it's been months since that mess broke open. (Not trying to hijack, just sayin', things run slowly and slowness itself doen't mean much.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Wow I just heard this on Geraldo today. Unbelievable. One day before the scheduled grand jury...no arrest, and now no Grand Jury

Their case must be weaker that wet tissue paper.

Trayvon Martin case: Special prosecutor will not call grand jury - NY Daily News
Yup I wonder how the good Reverends will respond, an escalation? Call for a new prosecutor?

Old 04-09-2012, 11:12 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
LOL. So why not charge him now? Why not charge him last week or the week before? Read between the lines.
Honestly, I think he has not been charged due to his dad's connections in the legal/court system. I think that was why he was not arrested in the first place.

I feel now with all the media scrutiny that the officials want to take their time and make sure they have the evidence they want/need before an arrest is made so as not to be portrayed as a vehicle that follows the direction of the media and rallying crowds cries.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:12 AM

29 posts, read 26,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Zimmermann had no "job" and was a volunteer for "crime watch". I just wonder how much crime occurs in a "gated" community which is populated by wealthy white people.
Of course you see a black teen walking around and the "alarm" bells go off! What is he doing here? By the way Sanford police have a "history" of racial incidents throughout the years.
I suggest you also look into Zimmermann's background which isn't a "pretty" picture!

That "gated community" was only 47% white.

The Sanford police chief is black.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You armchair attorneys need to sit back and let the justice system do its job. It's slow. I'd find it terribly frustrating, which is why I didn't go into law (no patience). I just heard something on the radio about the Jerry Sandusky issue; still no trial and it's been months since that mess broke open. (Not trying to hijack, just sayin', things run slowly and slowness itself doen't mean much.

We're not even talking about trials merely charging an individual. This isn't a whodunit case. We know who did it the stories haven't changed much through out the case. It's just that different versions have been spawned in the media at different times. Zimmerman's account has been consistent with police reports as have witness statements. So what earth shattering news do you expect to come from this continuing "investigation"?

I think they know they don't have enough to sustain an arrest let alone a conviction and are scrambling to find the best way to put the proverbial lipstick on a pig.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies